Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dollars to Pounds

Dollars to Pounds

Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:41 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dollars to Pounds

Has anybody got a top tip on the cheapest way to convert my dollars when I head over to ole blighty. Should I do it here, or there? The best tips will receive bountiful karma!!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dollars to Pounds

Originally Posted by webgum
Has anybody got a top tip on the cheapest way to convert my dollars when I head over to ole blighty. Should I do it here, or there? The best tips will receive bountiful karma!!
www.tranzfers.com is a good broker. I've used them a couple of times (albeit GBP -> AUD) but no problems.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:16 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marco121068
www.tranzfers.com is a good broker. I've used them a couple of times (albeit GBP -> AUD) but no problems.
oops, sorry. Should have clarifed - it's just for a holiday so no stonking amounts......just my hard earned dollars as spending money!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

If your only going for a holiday and you have a debit card on your oz bank account and it has a Cirrus symbol on it, you can use it in most ATMS in the Uk to withdraw cash from ur oz account as long as they too have the Cirrus symbol on them. I used mine when I was in Belfast and never had a problem finding a machine. My fiance uses his oz debit card in Scotland to access his bank account here and gets charged $5 for each withdrawal, no matter how much it is for, so if you just did big withdrawals it would work out cheaper than the commission u would pay on getting travellers cheques or pound notes in oz. The exchange rate is pretty spot on to what you'd get if u went into the bank also. You can also use an oz credit card in the uk atms ( again with the Cirrus symbol ) but then ur paying interest on your cash advances which would work out too expensive.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

oops, sorry. Should have clarifed - it's just for a holiday so no stonking amounts......just my hard earned dollars as spending money!
I see.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:25 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
If your only going for a holiday and you have a debit card on your oz bank account and it has a Cirrus symbol on it, you can use it in most ATMS in the Uk to withdraw cash from ur oz account as long as they too have the Cirrus symbol on them. I used mine when I was in Belfast and never had a problem finding a machine. My fiance uses his oz debit card in Scotland to access his bank account here and gets charged $5 for each withdrawal, no matter how much it is for, so if you just did big withdrawals it would work out cheaper than the commission u would pay on getting travellers cheques or pound notes in oz. The exchange rate is pretty spot on to what you'd get if u went into the bank also. You can also use an oz credit card in the uk atms ( again with the Cirrus symbol ) but then ur paying interest on your cash advances which would work out too expensive.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Just spent a month in Spain and I advise you use the ATMs with Cirrus as this poster says - saves worry about having loads of dosh around. Initial exchange in a high street bank over here for the first week money and Credit cards used for the big purchases (not cash advance) and paid off as soon as we got home.

Also we went with an Aussie mate and they moved a specific amount into a savings/credit account and used that for the holiday - one card suited all I think.

Cheers
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 7:41 am
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by Sandra
Just spent a month in Spain and I advise you use the ATMs with Cirrus as this poster says - saves worry about having loads of dosh around. Initial exchange in a high street bank over here for the first week money and Credit cards used for the big purchases (not cash advance) and paid off as soon as we got home.

Also we went with an Aussie mate and they moved a specific amount into a savings/credit account and used that for the holiday - one card suited all I think.

Cheers
Thanks for tip. My only problem is that I only have an Efpos card, and a credit card. The former is not cirrus. So no cheap way around it I think!

Cheers.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for tip. My only problem is that I only have an Efpos card, and a credit card. The former is not cirrus. So no cheap way around it I think!

Cheers.

You sure u dont have two blue circles with the word Cirrus written across them on ur eftpos card ? (mine is on the back of my westpac eftpos card )Thats all I used in the uk
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:02 am
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by christinabell
You sure u dont have two blue circles with the word Cirrus written across them on ur eftpos card ? (mine is on the back of my westpac eftpos card )Thats all I used in the uk
Gone and checked again.....I've just a a blue square with 'plus' written in in and the efpos symbol. Dang and blast the NAB