Reload this Page >

dogs and failed erlichia tests... help please

dogs and failed erlichia tests... help please

Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:38 am
Just Joined

jules123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dogs and failed erlichia tests... help please

Hi all
We are emigrating to Oz early December and our 2 dogs have just done their tests for immigration. They both failed the leptospirosis even though they had been vaccined last year.( I have been told that this is not a great problem). The biggest probem is that One of my dogs failled the erlichia test which is a shock as she has never been bitten by a tick nor been taken outside her yard near Reading let alone the country!... Could anyone please advise me as to what happens next. Myself and my children are beside ourselves as she is a much love member of the family. The thought of her not coming is unbearable.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: dogs and failed erlichia tests... help please

Hi cant offer andy advice but sure someone will. our dog has just had her blood tests and worry that they will be ok too.

I completely understand how you must feel.
just out of curiosity why did the dogs have the test so early thought it had to be within 30 days of travelling?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:27 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules123
Hi all
We are emigrating to Oz early December and our 2 dogs have just done their tests for immigration. They both failed the leptospirosis even though they had been vaccined last year.( I have been told that this is not a great problem). The biggest probem is that One of my dogs failled the erlichia test which is a shock as she has never been bitten by a tick nor been taken outside her yard near Reading let alone the country!... Could anyone please advise me as to what happens next. Myself and my children are beside ourselves as she is a much love member of the family. The thought of her not coming is unbearable.
Welcome to British Expats.

From recollection, dont the vets do further test within a given time.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:24 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

think further tests are within 7 days, I'll ask my mum, when she gets out of her sick bed (cold read flu)
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help.. We are emigrating in December and the dogs are due to leave on 17 November.
I am really appreciative of any help. I haven't been able to sleep with worry. I just don't understand how she could have a positive responsew to a tick bourne disease when she has never had a tick on her.

Driver, hope your mum feels better soon and has some good advice for this problem

Last edited by jules123; Oct 28th 2007 at 3:00 pm. Reason: add a message
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she has had a tick and it just dropped off, or got chewed off before you saw it??
Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:06 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

No reason to panic yet... One of my Staffies failed first time and passed second with just a couple of days to go to the flight... According to our shipper there's lots that do this... There's a few threads on this on here as well so do a search and get informed...!

HTH...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

ontheup will become famous soon enough

I cant comment on the tick side of things too much but it is entirely possible it came off before you found it and would never have known it was there. I'm sure the vet can crack this for you!

As or the Lepto you have no need to worry, I'll say that again YOU HAVE NO NEED TO WORRY!!! Many dogs are failing with a 1/100 level of Lepto - the next lowest being zero - this is purely due to vaccine left in the dogs system. So long as the test 7 days later is the same or lower your laffin. You can if you wish get anti-biotics from the vet (we did cos he's walked on a beach where there is rats) just be on the safe side. A weeks course was £15 so it was worth it for piece of mind cos even if he really had lepto the anit bios would have kicked in the ass!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

DrWho.. I am new to this site... any help to find the relevant thread(s) most appreciated.
Onthe up. thanks for the help on the lepto.. will get something from the vet tomorrow...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

DrWho.. I am new to this site... any help to find the relevant thread(s) most appreciated.
Onthe up. thanks for the help on the lepto.. will get something from the vet tomorrow...
Try this...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=ehrlichia
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DrWho
Thank you to all who helped me with information. I dosed my pup up on antibiotics and her second test result was negative. So for all those who felt helpless like I did, have faith... anyhow both dogs fly on Saturday.Am over the moon
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:14 pm
Timelord

Thank you to all who helped me with information. I dosed my pup up on antibiotics and her second test result was negative. So for all those who felt helpless like I did, have faith... anyhow both dogs fly on Saturday.Am over the moon
Yea...
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Good to hear!! Hope the flight goes well for them
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

scrappyrosie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DrWho
No reason to panic yet... One of my Staffies failed first time and passed second with just a couple of days to go to the flight... According to our shipper there's lots that do this... There's a few threads on this on here as well so do a search and get informed...!

HTH...
hi i see you have staffies, do you know if there is any restrictions on them in queensland, as they have such bad press over here. Have they travelled yet? If so how did they do and which courier did you use? Can you do me a list of cost ect as we have not started to look into it yet, i have 2 staffies and would love to be able to take them both. Any advice? julie
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:48 pm
Timelord

Originally Posted by scrappyrosie
hi i see you have staffies, do you know if there is any restrictions on them in queensland, as they have such bad press over here. Have they travelled yet? If so how did they do and which courier did you use? Can you do me a list of cost ect as we have not started to look into it yet, i have 2 staffies and would love to be able to take them both. Any advice? julie
Don't think there's any probs in Qld but we're in Sydney so can't say for sure... They flew with BA no probs there and the peeps at Eastern Creek were really good... We used Pinehawk Kennels for shipping who were fantastic... cost was around £2,250 all in... Do your own permit here... AQIS

Good luck...