Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DOG: shipping it yourself ! HELP

DOG: shipping it yourself ! HELP

Old May 20th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default DOG: shipping it yourself ! HELP

Appeal to all dog/cat lovers
Has anyone been brave enough to have a go at organising the shipping themselves. If so, whats the procedure what airline did you use
going from Manchester to Brisbane around September.
I understand about the blood tests and vaccinations, booking in to quarantine in OZ but how does the flight part work.
many thanks
Old May 20th 2007, 9:10 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DOG: shipping it yourself ! HELP

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Has anyone been brave enough to have a go at organising the shipping themselves. If so, whats the procedure what airline did you use
I understand about the blood tests and vaccinations, booking in to quarantine in OZ but how does the flight part work.
many thanks
We did it ourselves so do a search under 68mevy for dog threads about 18 months or so ago...I haven't got time right now to find it for you. From what I can remember we had to take our dog to Heathrow for booking onto the flight and she had to fly to Sydney as quarantine is there and the company we used for the flight arranged to get her to quarantine for us. I can't even remember the name of the company either. It was a really straight forward thing to do and if I had the timeagain I would ship our dog ourselves as it saved alot of money. If I get time later I'll find the thread for you.
Marie
Old May 20th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks
I was under the impression that the airlines would no longer take bookings from individuals, only from the pet shipping companies because there were too many cases of the wrong paperwork being supplied. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along and tell me if I am right or not
Old May 20th 2007, 11:08 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I was under the impression that the airlines would no longer take bookings from individuals, only from the pet shipping companies because there were too many cases of the wrong paperwork being supplied. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along and tell me if I am right or not
Airlines didn't take bookings when we flew our dog out here 18+ months ago. You can pretty much do all of it yourself but you have to get a company to deal with the flight part of it.
I've found an old link which may help you:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=dog
Marie
Old May 20th 2007, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

many thanks
Hi,
I dont know much about this that may help...but...
A friend of ours went out to NZ..in March 07. For their reasons the dog had to travel a week behind them so we volunteered to take the dog to Manchestere Airport.
The theory was that all the paper work had been done - all we had to do was deliver the animal.

Before that we had to get the vets certificate. They wanted an export clearence cert from DEFRA. This needs to be applied for 30 days before required.
NO such form was in the file left with us.
The vet arranged with DEFRA for a a waiver on the 30 days BUT we had to drive from Manchester to just outside Blackpool to collect it.
When we got to the airport the pet export agent turrned up with the crate..and declared it too small for the animal! The crate dimention had been done by the owner and emailed to the agent.
He declared he had two other crates already made and went off to get them.
An hour later he was back and one crate was deemed to be OK.
Now we are told that it will cost more due to the bigger size and air frieght cubic meter or whatever costs. Seeing thye crate size alter by 3 inches higher, about 2 inches wider and 6 inches longer.... we assumed it would be a few quid and wife and I started to pool our cash.
After the usaul computer keyboard bashing a nd hushed instructions....the bill went up by £430...after being advised that about £95 of other fee's had been waived!
The total air fare bill was about £1850 not including the vets bills about £200.

Our worry was is our friend really our friend now the dog and our £430 was in Auckland....she was and still is..although a bit shocked at the extra cost!

I think the agents were called something like Animal airlines near Manchester.The moral of this story is to get the facts and dimentions of crates right and the agents were really helpful..cos they normally dont have spare crates and I think the reductions mentioned were genuine after seeing our shock.

Hope this helps you....