Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance?

Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance?

Old May 21st 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance?

Originally Posted by Hutch
We've had it since being stung for a £2200 vet's bill about ten years ago. You suddenly see the sense in pet insurance when faced with figures like that.
I asked someone at work today if they had pet insurance and they started laughing - you know, in that genial "listen to the English-nancy-boy-poofter-queen and his la-de-dah pet insurance' kind of way. They said that they have always owned dogs - since being a child - and whenever the dog got old or decrepit they would take it to their uncle's farm and give it a blast with a shotgun.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I asked someone at work today if they had pet insurance and they started laughing - you know, in that genial "listen to the English-nancy-boy-poofter-queen and his la-de-dah pet insurance' kind of way. They said that they have always owned dogs - since being a child - and whenever the dog got old or decrepit they would take it to their uncle's farm and give it a blast with a shotgun.
Yep. Tough love, aussie style. Not quite as sentimental about their animals here, are they?
Old May 21st 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

We went through Labrador, Beagle, Pug (I laughed at this suggestion), Bichon (have you seen one of those? I don't like to think of myself as macho but I couldn't see myself walking about with one of those - it would be like having a candy floss on a lead)...
We then narrowed it down to King Charles Spaniel and Boxer. We've finally decided on.....The Boxer - always liked that song. The kids are now fighting over names.
Yes, I think you'd look good with a lapdog.

Boxer sounds like a good choice. You could get two and call them Simon and Garfunkel.

The Beagle is my favourite, but people say they are noisy and hard to train (if they smell a rabbit they're gone). Someone recommended we get a Norfolk Terrier.

The better half has been laying down some conditions, so we need a dog that doesn't smell like a dog and wipes its feet before coming in the house. Any ideas?
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Yes, I think you'd look good with a lapdog.
?
Worked with a few of those in SE Asia (all English).

Originally Posted by Exile
The better half has been laying down some conditions, so we need a dog that doesn't smell like a dog and wipes its feet before coming in the house. Any ideas?
A cat?

Dog decision making is interesting. I don't think anyone could accuse us of rushing into things. We're all dog lovers - me and my wife had dogs when we were kids - the eldest daughter has been nagging us to get one for about 5 years but it's been completely impractical. The youngest seems to like dogs although she is a bit more timid and once when a couple of stray puppies wanted up to the house when she was a toddler did ask "Shall I kill it?". Which I suppose doesn't bode well.

So now at theage of 40, we are at last going down the path of dog ownership. It feels right - at last.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Yes!! We took it out AFTER our dog nearly died from 3 paralysis ticks!! It cost us nearly $800.
You are lucky, I worked for a vet and we had a case of paralysis tick that was difficult to diagnose because we don't get in here very much in VIC and the dog hadn't been out of state. It had been to an emergency centre and came back to us a few days later, tick was found, (it was a a malamute with very thick fur!!) and it had to go back to emergency centre for 24 care. It eventually cost the owners over $8000 and they never even knew if it was going to survive, it did but was in intensive care for 3 weeks! I've also seen many snake bite cases where cost has been several $1000. Anti venom vials are about $600 a pop and a large dog could need several doses thats without any other treatment and hospitalisation. Most Aussies don't have insurance but they get very upset when they are told the cost of treatment. You need it here equally as much if not more than in the UK. Don't leave home without it.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

We always had dog insurance in the UK. Moved our 2 dogs over here at ages 8 & 9 and couldn't get it here because the dogs were too old to start a new policy The only pet insurance I have now is the fact my sister round the corner is a vet nurse
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Fnally got one and she's already costing me in vet's bills.

Dang!
Attached Thumbnails Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance?-dog1.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Fnally got one and she's already costing me in vet's bills.

Dang!
She is adorable, I am so envious! Boxers are prone to tummy upsets so don't go off to the vets at every instance of the squits/vomitting. Try her on chicken and rice for a day or two and see if it improves. They also like to eat/chew stuff so make sure the kids know that if it is on the floor it is fair game. We have lost lots of socks, pants and kids toys due to my 7 year old leaving stuff on the floor or her bedroom door open. Good luck!!!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
She is adorable, I am so envious! Boxers are prone to tummy upsets so don't go off to the vets at every instance of the squits/vomitting. Try her on chicken and rice for a day or two and see if it improves. They also like to eat/chew stuff so make sure the kids know that if it is on the floor it is fair game. We have lost lots of socks, pants and kids toys due to my 7 year old leaving stuff on the floor or her bedroom door open. Good luck!!!
I wish you'd bloody well told me that about 7 hours ago after we'd experienced 3 bouts of diahorrea and two vomits but before we'd handed over $100 to the vet!

BTW that's exactly what the vet advised - chicken and rice. I'm glad we took her because I was a bit wary of where we got her from and wanted our 'own' vet to check her out.
Anyhow needless to say, a drink of rehydration fluid, a shot of antibiotic and a plate of chicken and rice and she's springing about all over the place. She's gorgeous!

I'm glad you saw the post - it was you I was trying to contact via PM - tried to send you the photo but couldn't work out how to do it!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

Paralysis ticks are the biggie, there are plenty around and they make the dogs very unwell. Avantix every two weeks in the warm months and keep grass short to put snakes off - prevention much better than cure!

We brought our dogs over from the UK with us and have occasional litters. Anyone thinking of getting a dog should really think about getting something that matches your lifestyle rather than something that catches an eye.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

We are bringing over our dog and have always had insurance. He is 8 now and only made one claim (broken teeth).

Is getting pet insurance in Oz a bit like getting car insurance? Meaning that if you can prove "no claims" you might be able to get cover cheaper?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

We use bowwowwow.com.au (might be one too many wows in that !!!)They were much better than pet plan and if you insure your dog from an early age they guarentee to renew your policy whatever age your dog is.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:43 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
We use bowwowwow.com.au (might be one too many wows in that !!!)They were much better than pet plan and if you insure your dog from an early age they guarentee to renew your policy whatever age your dog is.
Bowwow and many others appear to be owned by petsure http://www.petsure.com.au/ , and they appear to have a large range of companies and policies
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:26 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Our dog has had a couple of tick episodes the last cost us $3K (over a week of 24 hour intensive care).

She is insured...

Having said that insurance *is* expensive compared to a $10 tick-collar every month. (but its too easy to forget to put a fresh collar on)
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rspcapetinsurance.org.au

Yes, worth it. Cancer tumor removed from mine and surgery following a dog fight. At $25 a month its been worth its weight and means I can choose the vet I want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.