British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dog-owners-does-anyone-have-pet-insurance-610371/)

NKSK version 2 May 21st 2009 3:06 am

Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance?

If so is it worth it?

juddy May 21st 2009 3:21 am

Re: Dog owners: Does anyone have pet insurance?

Oh yes...

northernbird May 21st 2009 3:27 am

Yes. My friends dog got bitten by a snake in Star Swamp (they live opposite) and it cost them $1500 for the treatment! Needless to say he now has insurance :D

juddy May 21st 2009 3:31 am

And theres Ticks over here, i belive it can be up to $800 for a treatment, you could be unlucky and have more than one a year, and yes there snakes here, again it all dependes on many different factors, and Insurance is a great thing you may never use it, but when you need to!!!

juddy May 21st 2009 3:32 am

Petplan are the best i belive, there a Uk company... ( but operate here too )

sa2uk2oz May 21st 2009 5:24 am

we have pet insurance for our lab, who has just turned one.
i work in the industry and know how expensive veterinary treatment can be.
We have added the option onto our medibank.. and it costs $27 a month, but has fairly good cover.

OzWannabee May 21st 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7590867)
If so is it worth it?

Yes!! We took it out AFTER our dog nearly died from 3 paralysis ticks!! It cost us nearly $800. :eek:

Exile May 21st 2009 8:03 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7590867)
If so is it worth it?

What make of dog are you thinking of getting?

I'm coming under a lot of pressure from the kids to get one. Never had a dog before, so a bit uncertain.

thpinkpussycat May 21st 2009 9:54 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 7591384)

I'm coming under a lot of pressure from the kids to get one. Never had a dog before, so a bit uncertain.

We also have been bugged by my daughter for the last 4 years for a dog and have just given in. after weeks of checking out the RSPCA and similar places went for a puppy, Chocolate Labrador.

Its only been a week and its hard work, its like having a new baby in the house but we all love him to pieces.

Exile May 21st 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat (Post 7591637)
We also have been bugged by my daughter for the last 4 years for a dog and have just given in. after weeks of checking out the RSPCA and similar places went for a puppy, Chocolate Labrador.

Its only been a week and its hard work, its like having a new baby in the house but we all love him to pieces.

Beautiful!

Did my daughter pay you to post that photo? That's her first choice of breed.

NKSK version 2 May 21st 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 7591384)

We went through Labrador, Beagle, Pug (I laughed at this suggestion), Bichon (have you seen one of those? I don't like to think of myself as macho but I couldn't see myself walking about with one of those - it would be like having a candy floss on a lead)...
We then narrowed it down to King Charles Spaniel and Boxer. We've finally decided on.....The Boxer - always liked that song. The kids are now fighting over names.

OzSheila May 21st 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7591895)
We've finally decided on.....The Boxer - always liked that song. The kids are now fighting over names.

You will not be sorry - Boxers are the absolute best with kids:thumbsup:

Wouldn't swap mine for the world!

NKSK version 2 May 21st 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by OzSheila (Post 7592032)
You will not be sorry - Boxers are the absolute best with kids:thumbsup:
!

Yes, this is why we went for one - seems to be a good balance of being great with kids but quite a good guard dog also (which I'm sure is not necessary but still has a certain appeal).
I might be tapping you for advice nearer the time!

northernbird May 21st 2009 1:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7591895)
We went through Labrador, Beagle, Pug (I laughed at this suggestion), Bichon (have you seen one of those? I don't like to think of myself as macho but I couldn't see myself walking about with one of those - it would be like having a candy floss on a lead)...
We then narrowed it down to King Charles Spaniel and Boxer. We've finally decided on.....The Boxer - always liked that song. The kids are now fighting over names.

My Duke aged 9 months. He is just the best. Any questions just PM. We wouldn't have any other dog.

Hutch May 21st 2009 1:43 pm

We've had it since being stung for a £2200 vet's bill about ten years ago. You suddenly see the sense in pet insurance when faced with figures like that.