Dog to NZ ?

Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

herrett6516 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog to NZ ?

Hi all,

New to e-mail in general & have found this site only today so please bear with me. I have discovered today that I have been succcessful in applying for a job with horses in Marlborough, NZ. Due to leave in about 4 weeks. I had been reliably informed (Virgin website) that dogs did not have to go through quarantine in NZ & have almost had a seizure when reading this page.

Can someone in the know please clarify ... once the dog has the pet passport, jabs, chip etc, do they have to do the 30 days in quarantine ? My dog is a lively Springer Spaniel, I may leave her with friends rather than put her in quarantine for even 30 days

Apologies if I have missed the reply earlier but I am having some difficulty finding my way around & need to know asap.

Also, can anyone advise how much they paid, I am being told figures of £150 to 3k depending on whether I speak to optimistic/pessimistic friends. I need some peace of mind.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

tracey710 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,we went to emigration show and were told not to be conned into paying for pet passport as it is not neccessary.dogs do have to be quarantined and we were quoted 2,500- 3,500 to take two dogs +quarantine bill. we were also told that you can pay the kennels to crate the dogs and deliver to the airport and then pay for them to go as excess baggage which costs about 150-200 for the excess baggage bit . but perhaps someone who has done it recently can help more.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by tracey710
hi,we went to emigration show and were told not to be conned into paying for pet passport as it is not neccessary.dogs do have to be quarantined and we were quoted 2,500- 3,500 to take two dogs +quarantine bill. we were also told that you can pay the kennels to crate the dogs and deliver to the airport and then pay for them to go as excess baggage which costs about 150-200 for the excess baggage bit . but perhaps someone who has done it recently can help more.
Thanks Tracey - How did your dogs cope with the journey ? I understand it's a 23 hr flight ? I think I read somewhere on this forum that if you can provide an address you are going to then the dog can spend the 30 days there ? I can no longer find that information so perhaps I imagined it ? Which airline did you fly with ?

Carol
Old Apr 10th 2003, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by herrett6516
Thanks Tracey - How did your dogs cope with the journey ? I understand it's a 23 hr flight ? I think I read somewhere on this forum that if you can provide an address you are going to then the dog can spend the 30 days there ? I can no longer find that information so perhaps I imagined it ? Which airline did you fly with ?

Carol
Just checked the following link http://www.movetonz.govt.nz/Bml/away...moving.htm#can
it says that pets from Hawaii & UK don't need quarantine, everyone else is 30 days. They do need a series of tests though, and I suppose this has to be done in quarantine.....so..... I guess it's still not that clear! Perhaps Fido won't have to stay so long though.

Gra...
Old Apr 11th 2003, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Dogs from the UK do not require quarantine. However they need lots of tests/pills/potions and forms to be completed before they can go.
You can look at the MAFF site, but it is technical goobledegook.

Phone some of the companies that will transport the dog (do a search). PineHawk Kennels in Newmarket have been mentioned in post - 01223 290249

I see you're in Surrey. I'm taking my labrador in the Summer and the vets I use is on the Hants/Surrey border. Run by ozzie vets who reckon they can organise it. St Kitts Vet in Hartley Wintney tel 01252 844044.

Also met a guy in NZ who told me that he used a company in Surrey for his dog. He apparently visited them all (drove from Newcastle), and it was the best by far. Was planning to phone him this weekend for details. If I do I'll e-mail you.

You'll love Marlborough. The sounds are fantastic.

Roger

Last edited by Roger; Apr 11th 2003 at 12:29 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2003, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Gra.B
Just checked the following link http://www.movetonz.govt.nz/Bml/away...moving.htm#can
it says that pets from Hawaii & UK don't need quarantine, everyone else is 30 days. They do need a series of tests though, and I suppose this has to be done in quarantine.....so..... I guess it's still not that clear! Perhaps Fido won't have to stay so long though.

Gra...
Thanks Gra(ham) ?

Read the site you suggested and my resting heart rate has slowed considerably.
Now I just have to find the money

Carol
Old Apr 11th 2003, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Roger
Dogs from the UK do not require quarantine. However they need lots of tests/pills/potions and forms to be completed before they can go.
You can look at the MAFF site, but it is technical goobledegook.

Phone some of the companies that will transport the dog (do a search). PineHawk Kennels in Newmarket have been mentioned in post - 01223 290249

I see you're in Surrey. I'm taking my labrador in the Summer and the vets I use is on the Hants/Surrey border. Run by ozzie vets who reckon they can organise it. St Kitts Vet in Hartley Wintney tel 01252 844044.

Also met a guy in NZ who told me that he used a company in Surrey for his dog. He apparently visited them all (drove from Newcastle), and it was the best by far. Was planning to phone him this weekend for details. If I do I'll e-mail you.

You'll love Marlborough. The sounds are fantastic.

Roger
Roger,

I would appreciate the details of the comany in Surrey - thanks.
In the meantime I will contact my vet - I suppose they must recommend companies too. A friend of mine has just come back from a 6 wk trip to NZ, he said much the same about Marlborough. I can't believe my luck, I really wanted to go to South Island as I am unimpressed with noise,crowds,pollution & the bright lights in general. I would have worked anywhere in NZ though, so to be told the job was in Marlborough seemed like fate.

Will wait for more details, thanks again.

Carol
Old Apr 13th 2003, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Just phoned the guy in Nelson, NZ. He used Golden Arrow which has been recommended on previous threads too. A little more expensive as they do a lot of the work for you.

Unfortunately it is in Shropshire, not Surrey.

Give them a try.

Golden Arrow Shippers
Lydbury North
Shropshire
SY7 8DY
Tel )01 588 680 240
Mr C W Sorenson

Please tell me how you got on.
Roger