Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does it pay off to have an Australina qualification?

Does it pay off to have an Australina qualification?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Does it pay off to have an Australina qualification?

Does it really help in finding a job when you have an Australian univerisity qualification (business degrees such as MBA etc.)? Are local qualifications valued more than say UK, Canadian or US qualifications?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:33 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it pay off to have an Australina qualification?

Originally Posted by caliburn
Does it really help in finding a job when you have an Australian univerisity qualification (business degrees such as MBA etc.)? Are local qualifications valued more than say UK, Canadian or US qualifications?
In the eyes of some employers, yes.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
And in the eyes of some employers No!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EvannTel
And in the eyes of some employers No!
Thanks The Bloke and EvannTel. Where have left my car keys?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:34 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I would say if you are in Australia and planning to stay there then yes! There are certain things you will learn which are relevant to Aus e.g. employment law etc. I found it quite insular and they seemed to prefer Australian experience and Australian qualifications. If you get a UK qualification and then go over there sometimes you end up paying a small fortune to get it converted to Aussie qualification. They make a fortune from new Brits! Depends if you want to stay there long term. Personally I don't think their education is any better ( but they think it is!). I am married to an Australian and he's always going on about how better the education system is over there ( with no evidence to back it up) and I don't agree with him, but it gives you an idea of how they think sometimes (Gods own etc)!!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRB
I would say if you are in Australia and planning to stay there then yes! There are certain things you will learn which are relevant to Aus e.g. employment law etc. I found it quite insular and they seemed to prefer Australian experience and Australian qualifications. If you get a UK qualification and then go over there sometimes you end up paying a small fortune to get it converted to Aussie qualification. They make a fortune from new Brits! Depends if you want to stay there long term. Personally I don't think their education is any better ( but they think it is!). I am married to an Australian and he's always going on about how better the education system is over there ( with no evidence to back it up) and I don't agree with him, but it gives you an idea of how they think sometimes (Gods own etc)!!!
Thanks JRB. Agree with you.... I have met with quite a few Australians before and all of them passionately thought everything in Australia were the best in the world. Personally, I think they are true when it comes to sports education, livability of their cities, northern beaches etc., but general education compared to the UK and US? Well, I am not quite sure.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Most Australian employers will recognise what an Australian Qualification means.
Many will not know what a UK one really indicates.

It would be the same in the UK, if a British employer had to compare a GCSE versus an OP2... which one would they recognise ?

The British employer would tend to prefer the British qualification because they know what it means, same as Australia.

The same generally goes for experience.
Experience in the country you are working in, is normally more relevant than experience in a different country where things may be done differently.

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

And you will have to do a test to have your skills recognised once you get here anyway!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:20 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I did a computer course here in Australia and got a degree and because of the partnership was issued by a UK university
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Most Australian employers will recognise what an Australian Qualification means.
Many will not know what a UK one really indicates.
Skill assessment bodies will translate qualifications.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JAJ
Skill assessment bodies will translate qualifications.
The difficulty in practice, is that it is easier for an employer to ignore something that they do not understand, rather than try to find out, how to find out what it means.

I remember the situation when I was first employing people in Australia, and I didn't know what the 'Australian' qualifications meant. I knew the UK ones, but it meant me learning something new, so that I could employ Australian people correctly.
I would have much preferred UK only applicants, at that time, as I was used to those

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The difficulty in practice, is that it is easier for an employer to ignore something that they do not understand, rather than try to find out, how to find out what it means.

I remember the situation when I was first employing people in Australia, and I didn't know what the 'Australian' qualifications meant. I knew the UK ones, but it meant me learning something new, so that I could employ Australian people correctly.
I would have much preferred UK only applicants, at that time, as I was used to those
I did an MBA long time back at UNSW but don't have much of an Australian work experience except for a short summer contracting for Commonwealth Bank. I was wondering whether my Australian qualification will be worth much after all these years. Hope they count my foreign work experiences. Hey, thanks a lot for your feedback.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The new migrant should get his or her qualifications assessed (eg by NOOSR, ACS, Vetassess, ICAA etc) on own initiative, not wait for an employer to ask. Then you have a document to show at interview if necessary.

Some people will have done this in order to migrate, but not all.

One of the intangible benefits of an Australian qualification -as an add-on to overseas qualifications - is that it shows you are "serious" about living and working in Australia.