Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sea World Rip Off

Sea World Rip Off

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Sea World Rip Off

My wife,s family are visiting us at the moment so we decided to go to Sea World for the day on Monday.

The day before, Sea World had been advertised on the TV, showing the new Surf Rescue ride, so were looking forward to having a go.

We arrived and proceeded to pay to get in, then were told the Surf Rescue was not working and had not been for a week, "so why advertise it on the TV"

Each time we go, we take advantage of the dinner upstairs, which was always good value at $20 a head and $12 for kids to eat as much as you want. But now they have changed it to $28 an adult and $14 for kids, and have worded it to say you can eat as much as you want all day, sounds great I thought at first, but then realized that they did not open until 11:30 and stopped serving at 3:30pm, giving you 4 hours. I do not know about anyone else but If I eat a large lunch at 12:00, I doubt if I could eat another one at 3pm. So if you just eat the once, "which I guess is what most people do as they will be enjoying the park" the park has just gained an almost 40% increase.

Then at around 3pm we made our way to the dolphin show, and as we had around 30 minutes to kill, thought we would take the kids for a swim..........No............Sea World are now charging you to get in to the Pool, after I had paid over $400 to get in I thought that was disgusting, and told the security guard at the gate just that.

He informed me that Sea World was no longer responsible for the water park and that it was now owned by Sea World Resort, but if I bought an annual pass I would get in for free, what is the difference, why should an annual pass holder get preferential treatment.

Needless to say, I won't be back.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: UK-OZ-UK -OZ HERE I COME AGAIN ! Back in Melbourne !!
McBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really nice
Default Re: Sea World Rip Off

Cheers for the update .
We went 2 years ago and had a fab time , thought it was good value.
Sounds like they are gunning for the wallett.

I may reconsider going too
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

That is very handy to know! we went there back in Sept and the kids found it a bit boring aside from the Dolphin show and the waterpark was the bit that they really enjoyed... I can't believe they are charging you again to get in there! what a joke! but people will pay when they are in there.. thats the point.. they will pay.. someone is rubbing their hands together in glee..

Will avoid like the plague.. was only going to take our visitors because I thought they'd love to see the Dolphin show and then the older ones can go on the one or 2 rides that are any good and then we can sit around the pool.. I am not paying twice.. I'll just take them to SeaWorld or MovieWorld instead..

Em x
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
My wife,s family are visiting us at the moment so we decided to go to Sea World for the day on Monday.

The day before, Sea World had been advertised on the TV, showing the new Surf Rescue ride, so were looking forward to having a go.

We arrived and proceeded to pay to get in, then were told the Surf Rescue was not working and had not been for a week, "so why advertise it on the TV"

Each time we go, we take advantage of the dinner upstairs, which was always good value at $20 a head and $12 for kids to eat as much as you want. But now they have changed it to $28 an adult and $14 for kids, and have worded it to say you can eat as much as you want all day, sounds great I thought at first, but then realized that they did not open until 11:30 and stopped serving at 3:30pm, giving you 4 hours. I do not know about anyone else but If I eat a large lunch at 12:00, I doubt if I could eat another one at 3pm. So if you just eat the once, "which I guess is what most people do as they will be enjoying the park" the park has just gained an almost 40% increase.

Then at around 3pm we made our way to the dolphin show, and as we had around 30 minutes to kill, thought we would take the kids for a swim..........No............Sea World are now charging you to get in to the Pool, after I had paid over $400 to get in I thought that was disgusting, and told the security guard at the gate just that.

He informed me that Sea World was no longer responsible for the water park and that it was now owned by Sea World Resort, but if I bought an annual pass I would get in for free, what is the difference, why should an annual pass holder get preferential treatment.

We no longer bother with seaworld or movie world, both a waste of time. Dream world is OK but hellish expensive, and certain parts cost another fee to get in. $400 you said are they joking or what.

Best one is wet and wild, not as expensive, but really good fun if your into water slides, plus there is sometimes a movie later on.

Wait for deals too, sometimes you can get adults at kid prices etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland

Oh dear thats not great, we went a couple of years ago and thought it was great, we didnt go into the waterpark as we didnt know about it until we arrived, were going to go in March when we validate, but after what you have said I would be a bit dubious!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

We were there on 6th January and the new ride broke down on that day, we stayed in the Sea World resort which for the price is pretty basic, Ive stayed in better motels, but the pool area was nice.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wait for deals too, sometimes you can get adults at kid prices etc.
Some Wet n Wild deals are better than others, my daughter went with a group last Friday, for $17 each !!!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gozzey
We were there on 6th January and the new ride broke down on that day, we stayed in the Sea World resort which for the price is pretty basic, Ive stayed in better motels, but the pool area was nice.
We spent some time by the Sea World Resort pool, and took our own drinks down, unfortunately though in glass bottles.

The girl from the food and drink shop at the pool came over and told us that Pool areas and Glass bottles don't mix, which is understandable, and gave us some plastic glasses to pour our drinks in, so she could take away the empty glass bottles.

I actually expected them to say we had to buy our drinks from them, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Sea World a couple of weeks ago, it was great. You ought to get one of those passes that lets you in to the three theme parks. It was a lot less than $400 for my family of 5.

We went on the motorbike ride, it was pretty extreme but doesn't last long. I even hired a helicopter for 15 minutes and we flew around the Gold Coast CBD, it was fantastic.

Dreamorld - great, WB Movie World - great. In fact it's all great, we'll be back in a couple of years.