Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does the new citizenship legislation affect you?

View Poll Results: Does the new citizenship legislation affect you?
Yes
73.33%
No
26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Does the new citizenship legislation affect you?

Old Oct 16th 2005, 10:05 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does the new citizenship legislation affect you?

Originally Posted by anne wilson
We have got our citizenship interview on Tuesday

and this is the first I have heard of this - how slack am I!!!
Dunno about slack, you'll be right mate! as long as you've applied apparently.

Slater
Old Oct 16th 2005, 10:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewOZ
Sure its a commetment, and that why i want to be a citizen as soon as possible, coz i love australia and i want to be commet it to it

by the way may you please tell me are you commeted to your current citizenship?!
Hello mate.

My British citizenship was bestowed on me by the fact I was born in the UK of British subjects.

Whether I am committed to it or not has little relevance to this debate as it was purely a birthright.

Here the discussion is about individuals choosing a citizenship when they qualify by personal choice.

I think you'll agree that is quite different.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 10:56 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello mate.

My British citizenship was bestowed on me by the fact I was born in the UK of British subjects.

Whether I am committed to it or not has little relevance to this debate as it was purely a birthright.

Here the discussion is about individuals choosing a citizenship when they qualify by personal choice.

I think you'll agree that is quite different.

Bugger it bixie you've gone all seriouse on us. Life's never gunna be the same for ya now mate..
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Never fear......I shall fall off the wagon again shortly
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello mate.

If you were born before 1983 in the UK, it's irrelevant whether your parents were British or not.

And those born in the UK in 1983 or later on need a parent who's a British citizen *or* permanent resident.

People from the UK are British citizens - not "British subjects".

Jeremy
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
[COLOR=DarkRed]What I find weird is I have heard nothing of the changes out here! In fact I was in the process of getting the pack and finding out all the details. They have still had ads in the papers but none of them have said it is now 3 years.

Because it's not 3 years at the moment. And most of the ads are directed at people who have been in Australia a lot longer.

Jeremy
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Slater
Hi Tina, 2 years since that Brighton meet eh, time goes when your having fun, glad you guys have all settled and like us have no intention of returning.
Regarding citizenship, our daughter has paid some monies to register for Uni, so as we need the HECS it affects us greatly, also if they make it 3 years it will be borderline whether our son, in year 11 now, will qualify, as he will need to have his citizenship papers on 26th Feb 07. If he can't apply til Nov 06 it can take in some cases take over 3 months to obtain this. Anyway fingers crossed, wife and 3 children have appointment booked for 10th November, my daughter has an appointment on 28th November as she went back to blighty for 3 weeks to go to her old schools prom. So looks like a close run thing for us. I've been out the country on business for 12 weeks so I won't be eligable to apply til Feb 06 so I guess I will miss it, not that it makes any difference to me, I'm not going anywhere!

Regards

Slater
1. For HECS, as far as I know the criteria may be based on whether you have been *approved* for citizenship, as opposed to having attended a ceremony. At least that was the case under the pre-2005 rules, you should check this again.

2. If you have been away on business for only 12 weeks, why not get a letter from your employer testifying to this. DIMIA may give a concession on the residence requirement for a time period that's relatively small. Processing time will be longer (so don't apply at the same time as your wife) but it may save you another year if the legislation looks like kicking in before February 2006.

Maybe get the letter from your employer, and wait and see when the legislation appears in Parliament?

The application fee of AUD120 is not refundable, however if the only reason you are refused is because you don't meet the residence requirement, you do not have to pay again if you reapply within 3 months of when you do become residentially entitled.

Jeremy
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you were born before 1983 in the UK, it's irrelevant whether your parents were British or not.

And those born in the UK in 1983 or later on need a parent who's a British citizen *or* permanent resident.

Jeremy
My parents are devout followers of the royal family and if they wish to consider themselves British subjects that's okay with me.

They are also citizens but as I was born before 1983 that is irrelevant of course.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 10:04 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. For HECS, as far as I know the criteria may be based on whether you have been *approved* for citizenship, as opposed to having attended a ceremony. At least that was the case under the pre-2005 rules, you should check this again.

Jeremy
We were told quite definatley by the University regarding the HECS loan, that my daughter would have to provide a certificate of Citizenship on 26th February 2006. DIMIA at Southport tell us that this can take over 3 months to obtain after the initial citizenship interview.

Slater
Old Oct 16th 2005, 10:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

We were told quite definatley by the University regarding the HECS loan, that my daughter would have to provide a certificate of Citizenship on 26th February 2006.
It appears that the rules have changed in this respect under the new scheme:
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Fe...itizenship.htm

"A person does not meet the Australian citizenship requirements for access to Commonwealth assistance until the person is an Australian citizen. That is, the person must have taken the Australian Citizenship Pledge and be in possession of their Certificate of Australian Citizenship.

The only exception to this is for pre-2005 students. Pre-2005 students can be taken to have met the Australian citizenship requirements if they have had their application for Australian citizenship approved by the Minister for Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs."

DIMIA at Southport tell us that this can take over 3 months to obtain after the initial citizenship interview.

Slater

Depends on:

a. how long DIMIA take to approve the application; and
b. how good the council is at organising ceremonies.

If the bottleneck turns out to be the council, she ought to check if the council will let her have an earlier ceremony. Maybe speak to her local councillor if necessary?

Jeremy
Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:17 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Depends on:

a. how long DIMIA take to approve the application; and
b. how good the council is at organising ceremonies.

If the bottleneck turns out to be the council, she ought to check if the council will let her have an earlier ceremony. Maybe speak to her local councillor if necessary?

Jeremy[/QUOTE]

Hey thanx, will wait til after the interview, might have all changed by then.

Slater
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

Hey thanx, will wait til after the interview, might have all changed by then.

Slater

Anyone who applies for citizenship before the new legislation takes effect will be assessed under current rules (even if the law changes before the application is finalised).

Jeremy
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:31 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

Well UK excluded people born in UK before 1983 from the new legislation ( that time ) changes

NZ excluded people with PR visa from the new citizenship changes

Why not us?!!!!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:32 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ

2. If you have been away on business for only 12 weeks, why not get a letter from your employer testifying to this. DIMIA may give a concession on the residence requirement for a time period that's relatively small. Processing time will be longer (so don't apply at the same time as your wife) but it may save you another year if the legislation looks like kicking in before February 2006.

Maybe get the letter from your employer, and wait and see when the legislation appears in Parliament?

The application fee of AUD120 is not refundable, however if the only reason you are refused is because you don't meet the residence requirement, you do not have to pay again if you reapply within 3 months of when you do become residentially entitled.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy
Where can we find more info about this?
I was out of Australia for 10 months will they count any of this period?!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:11 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by NewOZ
Well UK excluded people born in UK before 1983 from the new legislation ( that time ) changes
!

That was concerning citizenship by birth. You can't take that away from people who already have it.

The UK has made other changes to the naturalisation rules who did affect all existing PRs who had not applied for citizenship. Another one is coming up on 1 November (a new citizenship test).

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.