Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

Old Dec 13th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

When I was at school in the UK, we used to be allowed to take our board games and things in for the last few days.

We maybe had some cursory homework over the Chirtsmas holidays...but not over the Summer (which it is here). Remember, they are changing years and potetially teachers when they return.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:27 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The general complaint here is that primary school kids do too much. They seem to swing from one programme to the next and that includes concerts. To be honest, we can barely keep up with it all.

My daughter is in Prep - (Year 1) and if she suddenly disappears then we know she has put herself to bed - they are often wacked at the end of the day. Her reading is nothing short of incredible.
I agree that the daily timetable here is more active. We do so much more sports and outside activities here, in the UK if the hall was being used for something else then bang went your weekly hour of P.E!
Our Preps are struggling at this time of the year and some are taking rest days which is understandable. We just have the year 6 graduation and beach/movie treat to get through this week!!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:05 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kips
As I usually do on a Monday after my son, aged 8,comes home from school I asked him where his weekly homework sheet was as it wasn't in his school bag.

We haven't got any because it's nearly the end of term he cried. That's a week and and a half away I remonstrated in disgust.

Not allowed to take out a library book either this week and he has started to bring home all his work, including exercise books.

And he seems to be spending a lot of time colouring in pictures in class. Very nice but not exactly challenging.

So I am not sure if the kids are being taught anything educational. Call me old-fashioned but I thought we sent our children to learn English, maths, science, geography, history, etc right up until at least the last couple of days of the school year.

On Wednesday I was handed a note from my son's school informing me: "During the last few days of the 2011 school year, the Year 3 classes will be watching Nativity, a 2009 BBC comedy" as part of end of year celebrations. Not sure how this fits into the curriculum.

I'd like to know from other parents if their kids' teachers also on "go slow" for the rest of the school year and think the teachers are being lazy.

I know if I decided to "take it easy" at work for 8 days because I was going on leave for a couple of weeks I would be sacked. Why don't the same standards apply in the public sector ?

I would be very annoyed if I was sending my son to a private school and paying for him to spend time watching TV and colouring in pictures of crocodiles and snakes.
He is only 8 and has probably worked hard all term. Doesn't he deserve a bit of wind down fun time. Believe it or not they don't do much work in the last week in the uk either.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

oops

Last edited by Cosmo Knott; Jan 23rd 2012 at 10:49 pm. Reason: Pressed return twice oops
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

This time of year is probably more about your friends and mine.........

Gaby 'Getalong'
Oscar 'Organisation'
Pete 'Persistence'
Ricky "Resilience'
Connie 'Confidence'

......for teachers and pupils alike.......

Education - more than pure academic achievement?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Studies of Society and Environment?

In NSW it's called HSIE - Human Society and its Environment.

They revert back to History and Geography in High School - it's only in primary they are taught together.
Oh FFS.....change for change sake huh!!! Nice new phrase to say exactly what the old phrase said but in more modern terms, then go back to what the old phrase is when you delve deeper into it. Pointless but hardly surprising.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We got my son's school report last week. To be honest it was a bit average, apart from a few exceptions, and I was slightly disappointed. However I was more interested in the comments from his teacher and head about what a pleasant child he is to teach and interact with, about his enthusiasm and how he gets stuck in and gives things a go - especially at sport and about how he tries to help around the classroom.

Academic achievement is important at a young age, but being well adjusted, interacting and having fun are just as important. I reckon he's going to do okay.
Bang on!! At his age, 7, the most important thing to my childs learning is his approach and behaviour. If he trys, I support and give praise, if he is polite and well behaved and is good to others I glow with admiration.
Right now his actual educational skills are being underpinned by his social approach which in my mind is top notch.
The plus side is that his academic skills are high, but as much as my wife likes to laud them to anyone who will listen, to me its his approach to learning which is key.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by kips
Thanks for your advice. Much of it is sensible. I have been very polite to my son's teacher and not challenged her on on any of her comments. Certainly never been blunt.

I've no doubt his teacher means well - and she is a very nice lady - but it doesn't help when my efforts to encourage my child to read regularly, for example, are undermined.

My son has now decided he doesn't need to read a book because his teacher has said so. He's edited out the bit about her saying he can read "other things".

Children at this age take anything a teacher says as Gospel and have far more influence over them than a parent when it comes to learning.

And nice idea about parents learning maths and science to year 10 but I don't think you'll get many takers. Most parents are too busy juggling work,child care and after-shool activities to have the energy or time for studying.

I was secretary of the P&C committee for 4 years at my son's last school and we had great difficulty getting parents to attend meetings, even when we offered to change the times of the monthly meeting.

It was the same handful of parents, who year after year, volunteered to run the canteen, helped on sports days,swimming galas, spring fairs, Senior Citizens' luncheon, sausage sizzles etc

If you can't get parents to volunteer a couple of hours of their time you've got no chance getting them to study maths and science.
My son has now decided he doesn't need to read a book because his teacher has said so. He's edited out the bit about her saying he can read "other things".

Therein lies the rub.....kids are great aren't they...tell you what THEY want you to hear, not what THEY have been told!!

I think there is a big theme in this thread and you do not appear to be following it.....your comments seem rather haughty and out of context. Just saying!!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:02 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Last week of school is always 'winding down time' where kids can have some fun, a clean up (with lots and lots of water!). All A's for effort and behaviour, be the best you can be!!!! is the motto at our sons' school. Grades are important but not to that extent that it is all important and you might see it as a reflection of you and your ability to educate your kids :-). Have fun, relax and all will be well remember BE the Best you can be.