Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

Wikiposts

Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

Originally Posted by Grayling
As long as the kids are able to talk nicely to people when they work at the checkout or at Mcdonalds, when they leave school, I don't see what all the fuss is about
I thought you didn't like them talking to you at all?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not particularly but it seems like most of you do so they may as well learn to do it properly.

They don't seem to learn much else
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ok How many posters does it take to make a mob?
Depends... i think the rule is that If its west coast based posters we are talking about, two currently counts as a mob.... You need at least 5 if they are east coast...

If its a NOR in perf poster then technically One can constitute a mob

Likewise anyone posting a positive post on Australia is also also a mob

If its people wanting to move back to the uk.... Then they can NEVER be construed as a mob...

If its a long time member with a low post count then you need to check for other mob members posting nearby before accusing them of being a mob

if its a high count long term poster posting something that doesnt agree with a joined december 2011 poster then its a mob vs a troll... In that order... Or a multiple personality having it away with themselves... Take yer pick

Mobs are not always easily identified ... Tho the pitchforks and flaming torches accompanied by the cries of Hang Him!!! Usually give them away...

And lets not forget... Asking for clarification on a bizarre post also makes you a mob member...

Are we clear?

Good...
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:50 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Depends... i think the rule is that If its west coast based posters we are talking about, two currently counts as a mob.... You need at least 5 if they are east coast...

If its people wanting to move back to the uk.... Then they can NEVER be construed as a mob...

If its a long time member with a low post count then you need to check for other mob members posting nearby before accusing them of being a mob

if its a high count long term poster posting something that doesnt agree with a joined december 2011 poster then its a mob vs a troll... In that order... Or a multiple personality having it away with themselves... Take yer pick

Mobs are not always easily identified ... Tho the pitchforks and flaming torches accompanied by the cries of Hang Him!!! Usually give them away...

And lets not forget... Asking for clarification on a bizarre post also makes you a mob member...

Are we clear?

Good...
Waking up with a horses head on your pillow is also a good indicator of being involved with the mob.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it all depends really. It doesn't matter which side of the fence you are on there can still be a mob form, one side seems to be more violent and sensitive though.

Hmmm ok How many posters does it take to make a mob?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Waking up with a horses head on your pillow is also a good indicator of being involved with the mob.
Excellent point....

And lets not forget the violin case carried under the arm also implies the same....
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Article in today's Sydney Daily Telegraph under the headline: "Are we a nation of dunces ?" The seventh paragraph with the quote from former science minister Barry Jones says it all.

AUSTRALIA'S ambition to become the "clever country" is in tatters because it cannot produce enough experts in the two most critical disciplines - mathematics and science.

Top scientists and mathematicians, furious about the Gillard government's $400 million cut in HECS fee relief and axed school science programs, warn Australia is in serious danger of losing its mantle as a world leader in education.

In a bid to return the Australian economy to surplus Treasurer Wayne Swan has taken the razor to education, increasing annual HECS fees for university science and maths students from $4691 to $8353 - cancelling the incentive to study those subjects.

Barry Jones, a former science minister in the Hawke government, said just 9 per cent of Australian university students enrol in the sciences of physics, chemistry and mathematics when the OECD average is 13 per cent and in South-East Asia it is 26 per cent."It looks bad," he said.

There are serious problems in maths and sciences in Australia generally."

Are we a nation of dunces? Have your say below

The "deficiency" starts in primary schools with a high proportion of teachers themselves uneasy with maths and science and by high school, students move on to other interests, Mr Jones added.

And the crisis is set to worsen by 2020 when Australia will have more PhD mathematicians retiring from the workforce than entering it - despite a 55 per cent increase in demand across all sectors of the economy.

The Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute is so worried about the decline it is planning a national advertisement campaign on buses and trains to promote the impact of maths and statistics on people's "daily lives and on their health and wellbeing".

The head of the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of NSW, Anthony Dooley, warned the cut to HECS would affect student numbers in the core subjects.

"The country needs more mathematicians and scientists ... our enrolments have been going up by 10 per cent a year and that growth is a realisation that maths and science are crucial to the world's future," Prof Dooley said.

"We need the government to realise that this is a crucial national priority ... we need to be clever and we need people with mathematical skills to drive the economy forward."

The number of advanced maths students across Australia dropped by 25 per cent between 1995 and 2008, while university maths majors fell by 15 per cent between 2001 and 2008. The Australian Academy of Science also urged the government to do more to support the subjects.

"We are slipping behind neighbouring countries in maths and science performance at secondary school and there are growing shortages in the workforce of young people with maths and science skills," president Suzanne Cory said.

"Australia's robust economic future depends upon innovation.," she said.

A spokesman for Tertiary Education Minister Chris Evans said the HECS subsidy was being abolished because it had not proven to be a cost-effective way of lifting maths and science attainment.

"By the time young people are making university choices many have already made the decision to drop the study of advanced maths and science subjects at high school," he said. "It's for that reason that the government has asked the Chief Scientist, Professor Ian Chubb, to work with the science community to develop new means for further lifting student participation rates in maths and science."

Federal Schools Minister Peter Garrett said that science and mathematics were two of the first four subjects to be rolled out under the new national curriculum.

Universities Australia said alternative programs to improve school science and maths and university enrolments were vital while the University of Sydney was seeking more funds to support the most talented students.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't do any homework whatsoever until I was at least 11 and I always slacked off the last week of term. Still I managed to get a mathematics degree years later. You really are worrying too much. Let your child live and relax and enjoy life.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

As I usually do on a Monday after my son, aged 8,comes home from school I asked him where his weekly homework sheet was as it wasn't in his school bag.

We haven't got any because it's nearly the end of term he cried. That's a week and and a half away I remonstrated in disgust.

Not allowed to take out a library book either this week and he has started to bring home all his work, including exercise books.

And he seems to be spending a lot of time colouring in pictures in class. Very nice but not exactly challenging.

So I am not sure if the kids are being taught anything educational. Call me old-fashioned but I thought we sent our children to learn English, maths, science, geography, history, etc right up until at least the last couple of days of the school year.

On Wednesday I was handed a note from my son's school informing me: "During the last few days of the 2011 school year, the Year 3 classes will be watching Nativity, a 2009 BBC comedy" as part of end of year celebrations. Not sure how this fits into the curriculum.

I'd like to know from other parents if their kids' teachers also on "go slow" for the rest of the school year and think the teachers are being lazy.

I know if I decided to "take it easy" at work for 8 days because I was going on leave for a couple of weeks I would be sacked. Why don't the same standards apply in the public sector ?

I would be very annoyed if I was sending my son to a private school and paying for him to spend time watching TV and colouring in pictures of crocodiles and snakes.
My wife is a teacher, and spent >10 years flogging her guts out in the British school system. I can imagine her mocking laughter if she ever read your post. As Jen1977ni said, it's always been this way in England, Northern Ireland, and Australia.

Article in today's Sydney Daily Telegraph under the headline: "Are we a nation of dunces ?" The seventh paragraph with the quote from former science minister Barry Jones says it all.
This is a non sequitur (that's something I learned at school here in Australia).

Everybody else has already said what needed to be said, so I'll just summarise it with this:

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Dec 9th 2011 at 8:27 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Does this happen in all schools in Australia ?

Originally Posted by eddie007

Originally Posted by sheene
It could also mean you had far too much to drink last night. ('But officer, she told me she was 18 hands!')
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

To get a bit back top topic

I discussed this topic recently with my mom (who is a former primary school teacher and now professor for early childhood education and child psychology).
She mentioned one fact that has not been mentioned in this discussion:
The "lazy" days are extremly important to the social function of the class and to build up social skills. During normal lessons the students are mainly used to work alone or in small groups which mostly contain the same people.
During the "lazy days" you it is very easy to "broaden" their social network and integrate the different groups to one bigger group.
Studied showed that this is very relevant to build up social skills and reduces the ocurrence of an burn-put-syndrome (which becomes a bigger problem in younger children from year to year).
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:40 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hater
To get a bit back top topic

:
The "lazy" days are extremly important to the social function of the class and to build up social skills. During normal lessons the students are mainly used to work alone or in small groups which mostly contain the same people.
During the "lazy days" you it is very easy to "broaden" their social network and integrate the different groups to one bigger group.
Studied showed that this is very relevant to build up social skills and reduces the ocurrence of an burn-put-syndrome (which becomes a bigger problem in younger children from year to year).
I'm an aide in primary and what your Mum says is so very true.
We have 10-11 week terms here, you can see the kids becoming tired and lets not even go there for staff as others have mentioned earlier the reports etc. I can remember burn out after the 6 week terms in the UK - distant memory now... how easy did we have it really? (gets hard hat)
We are winding down, students completing final projects, sitting with friends, (christmas music on) taking down displays, putting up trees (that will come down again next week!) We're also doing house sport finals, graduation preparation - (songs speeches rehersals in the hall), the yearly Christmas Concert. So we actually rev-up not wind down
BUT we do it all for the kids
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Oh and it's not called Geography or History here, it's called SOSE...
Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Society and Environment.
I may need to go back to school, how does geography and History become Society and Environment become SOSE
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I may need to go back to school, how does geography and History become Society and Environment become SOSE
Studies of Society and Environment?

In NSW it's called HSIE - Human Society and its Environment.

They revert back to History and Geography in High School - it's only in primary they are taught together.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:19 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Sorry It`s cos itz Oz and they don`t learn anythink at school and them shud be sumink or otherrr els.... nah actually it stands for Study of Society and Environment
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:28 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.