Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlin will become famous soon enough
Default Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Hi All

Did anyone find that after moving out to Oz that they actually started to loose weight without even trying because the food out there is alot more healthy than here?

Julie
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:03 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Originally Posted by Dazlin
Hi All

Did anyone find that after moving out to Oz that they actually started to loose weight without even trying because the food out there is alot more healthy than here?

Julie
As an ex fatty who has lost more than 4 stone over the last few years ‘purely’ by watching what I eat and exercising… people who look for, or expect to find, a short cut to weight loss continue to stun me.

The fact is that I currently run over 40 miles a week and can eat pretty much what I want. As an aside I choose to eat more healthily because I have educated myself as to what I should eat and, more importantly, how much I should eat.

It doesn’t matter how much healthier the food is or isn’t in OZ, the fact is that unless you educate yourself and change your eating habits you will continue to eat the same kinds of food in the same kind of amounts that you currently do in the UK.

You don’t have to move to Australia to start educating yourself. If you want to loose weight then eat less, eat healthier and exercise more (or at all!); that’s the same in any country in the World.

I was in Brisbane a few weeks ago and have to admit that I sat in restaurants eating my ‘healthy’ options and was continually amazed by the amount of overweight people who had made the decision NOT to eat healthy; their choice.

They choose to be fat, hot and sweaty... I don’t.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

The stress of getting there might . The outdoor style of live will hep but it's down to that person to eat more healthy.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=PWBCSA]As an ex fatty who has lost more than 4 stone over the last few years ‘purely’ by watching what I eat and exercising… people who look for, or expect to find, a short cut to weight loss continue to stun me.

I don't think going to Oz is a short cut to loosing weight . The only reason I ask is because I have heard that the fresh food out there is alot nicer than at home and this may make it easier to choose the healthier option.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:28 pm
wombat42

Try eating nothing but vegemite and all your fat will be gone in no time.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:41 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

I don't think going to Oz is a short cut to loosing weight . The only reason I ask is because I have heard that the fresh food out there is alot nicer than at home and this may make it easier to choose the healthier option.
But if you can't / won't choose the healthy option over here, even though you appear to realise that it is an issue, does it really matter how much 'nicer' (?) the food is over there.

Nothing is going to MAKE you take action when it comes to things like giving up smoking, losing weight, cutting down on the booze, eating healthier and increasing your excersise. You have to want to, and then you will.

I have the same thoughts about people who are going to Australia and expect to instantly have a 'happier, more outdoor lifestyle'. If they can't motivate themselves to have an outdoor life in the UK why should nicer weather make it all better... they will probably just complain it's too hot and sunny and go back inside.

I'm reminded of a quote that goes something like- there is no such thing is bad weather, only bad clothing choices -get the idea?

Cheers.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
But if you can't / won't choose the healthy option over here, even though you appear to realise that it is an issue, does it really matter how much 'nicer' (?) the food is over there.

Nothing is going to MAKE you take action when it comes to things like giving up smoking, losing weight, cutting down on the booze, eating healthier and increasing your excersise. You have to want to, and then you will.

I have the same thoughts about people who are going to Australia and expect to instantly have a 'happier, more outdoor lifestyle'. If they can't motivate themselves to have an outdoor life in the UK why should nicer weather make it all better... they will probably just complain it's too hot and sunny and go back inside.

I'm reminded of a quote that goes something like- there is no such thing is bad weather, only bad clothing choices -get the idea?

Cheers.

I hear what your saying, but surely it is easier to have a more active outside life in Oz then it is here?
And do you not agree that the fresh fruit and veg is a lot better over there?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:51 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Julie
Defo i find that the desire to eat fatty sugary food drops big time due to heat, most people eat better in summer.
That combined with loads of body boarding walking and generaly being more active makes the weight drop of
All part of the life style .
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Defo i find that the desire to eat fatty sugary food drops big time due to heat, most people eat better in summer.
That combined with loads of body boarding walking and generaly being more active makes the weight drop of
All part of the life style .

I take it you are in Perth or want to go to perth? That is where we want to go if all goes well!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:13 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it you are in Perth or want to go to perth? That is where we want to go if all goes well!
Still in uk 4now hope to be in perth jan 06 prob up quinns area.
Where are you looking at?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:17 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi All

Julie

I wish

Think I cheated myself out of any easy weight loss though - I was in the UK for 5 months while my partner was here, I spent 6 days a week in the gym at this point and got down to a size 8... completely unsustainable when you've got a partner to go home to, and someone to share pizza and a movie with I put on 5kg when I first got here, and have managed to knock 4 of those back off again Good thing about here, is a the sizes are slightly larger so dress-size wise I've stayed the same (cheating I know, but I can take that )

It will just depend on your diet/lifestyle in the UK really, while the fruit and veg is better here, if you still spend your life at desk/on the couch you won't lose any more weight here than anywhere else!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:17 pm
Merlot

Yes as long as you stear clear of the Aussie plonk!!!

Somehow that piles weight on me!!!

Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Hi All

Julie
I know what you mean, I am not obese or much overweight but I could do with loosing a stone or so. I used to live in the Caribbean about 10 years ago and I was skinny as a rake.

Since living back in the UK I do tend to eat more comfort foods, I have a sweet tooth and there are times I do give in and eat things I shouldn't. When I lived in a hot climate I drunk a lot more liquids and ate much less, sometimes just because it was too hot to eat, if that makes sense.

I think cold countries do make you feel to eat more, to keep warm I suppose but I always find when I'm in a hot climate I eat much less, and healthier generally.

When we move to Oz I would hope my diet will change for the better as it has done in the past when in a hot country and with more natural outdoor pursuits it should also help live a healthier lifestyle.

As long as you don't live your exact lifestyle in another country then you'll be off to a good start !

Philip
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

NealMartin will become famous soon enough

That was my misperception. Although there is healthy food out here - it is hard to see past the fast food outlets which are constantly pedalled.

I have actually gained weight since arriving 7 months ago - too many beers and bbq's.

If you have bad eating habits now - you will bring them with you to Australia - sorry.

Neal
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:25 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by NealMartin
If you have bad eating habits now - you will bring them with you to Australia - sorry.

Neal
Agree with that statement, if you like mayo piled on your plate with salad now, will be the same in Oz. Your right our eating habits tend to fall back the into patterns.

Found I ate less choc but more cake as the done thing for ladies is the painfully boring "coffee & cake", that can stack it on.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.