Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Wikiposts

Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Dazlin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Still in uk 4now hope to be in perth jan 06 prob up quinns area.
Where are you looking at?
If we do get the all clear we would like to live in Gosnells because we have family there.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:58 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dazlin
If we do get the all clear we would like to live in Gosnells because we have family there.
Ok south and in land perfect for dirt bikes when are you moving we are going jan 06 not that far away now :scared:
What do you guys do im going as motor mechanic
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:59 am

prob sell my dirt bike here and buy one in oz or get a jet ski
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

prob sell my dirt bike here and buy one in oz or get a jet ski
My partner is a carpenter/joiner but he is now a locksmith.I will do something new at the mo i work for a local paper.coz you are in the trade do you know any one who might want our car we have a nissan skyline for sale?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:17 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We have been here 7weeks & i have lost 1/2a stone without trying, although its only 7lbs,i look better & feel my body has better tone.
I have no choice but get about by bike (i dont drive) & my daughter has a child seat on the back! to get her to Kindy,go shopping or just a look about,we get on the bike.
We were a pretty active family back home, having four kids we didnt have much choice!
One thing i do find here is we tire so much quicker/easier because of the heat or maybe we just havent adjusted yet we get up so much earlier too & get going as it starts to get dark about 6ish & come 10pm your exhausted & want to go to bed!

Hubby & i cant drink as much here as we used to back home either,we used to sit to 2/3am some weekends,eat dinner & order our fav carry out food later in the night, now i drink two glasses of wine & all i want is my bed!

The food is lovely & such a varied range of fruits & veg available.
Resturaunts,Cafes all serve lovely,delicious food & is excellent value!

We pigged out the first week we came here trying lots of fast food places,Mcdonalds,Hungry jacks,KFC,Chippys,Pitzas etc..& didnt like the bulk of them,Mcdonalds is better here than back home but its about the only place i would go back to on a rare occasion!

Donna.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:28 am

My partner is a carpenter/joiner but he is now a locksmith.I will do something new at the mo i work for a local paper.coz you are in the trade do you know any one who might want our car we have a nissan skyline for sale?
Must be good to have a man whois good with his wood
Skyline ? Stick it on ebay
Plenty of boy racers will buy that i already sold good car house next towards end of summer, then bike .
Have you been to perth b4 ?
I can wait to get out on waves at scarborough that will shift the 2 stone
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Must be good to have a man whois good with his wood
Skyline ? Stick it on ebay
Plenty of boy racers will buy that i already sold good car house next towards end of summer, then bike .
Have you been to perth b4 ?
I can wait to get out on waves at scarborough that will shift the 2 stone
No i haven't but a couple of years ago he went 7 months east coast,north,center and west coast. He liked it all but to live we think perth as we have friends and family, I feel like i know all there is to know as it is all he ever talks about and it couldn't come soon enough
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, I find. Good frozen or pre-made food is virtually non-existant (particularly veggie food) so I am having to make all our food from scratch which is much healthier and I am definitely losing weight because of it but at the same time, you can get a take-away pizza for a little as $6 which is a much easier option when you get home from work and just don't have the energy to start cooking.

Alot of people say that living in a hot environment saps you of all your energy for exercising and walking and so isn't really an aid to losing weight but then I wouldn't know because I live in Melbourne
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:09 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I wish

Think I cheated myself out of any easy weight loss though - I was in the UK for 5 months while my partner was here, I spent 6 days a week in the gym at this point and got down to a size 8... completely unsustainable when you've got a partner to go home to, and someone to share pizza and a movie with I put on 5kg when I first got here, and have managed to knock 4 of those back off again Good thing about here, is a the sizes are slightly larger so dress-size wise I've stayed the same (cheating I know, but I can take that )

It will just depend on your diet/lifestyle in the UK really, while the fruit and veg is better here, if you still spend your life at desk/on the couch you won't lose any more weight here than anywhere else!
Okay, sorry to bring this one back to the top, but I have to 'eat my words' (if you'll excuse the pun!).

On Friday night I went to a Nike hosted thing, and got my Body Fat properly measured. The last time I would have done this was just before I came back here. I've lost over 4% body fat in that time, so although I'm a kilo heavier than I was 8 months ago I'm actually lighter in fat!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:37 pm
aussie73

The answer is no, moving to OZ won't make you loose weight.
Aussies are the second fatest people in the world behind the Yanks. There are fast food joints on every street corner, like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc.

Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:42 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by aussie73
The answer is no, moving to OZ won't make you loose weight.
Aussies are the second fatest people in the world behind the Yanks. There are fast food joints on every street corner, like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc.
Not helped by the constant money off vouchers in your mail box Like dangling carrots, or should that be pizza.

M

Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:32 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Did anyone find that after moving out to Oz that they actually started to loose weight without even trying because the food out there is alot more healthy than here?

Julie
No. The place is full of cheap fast foods and processed foods and its often so hot you can easily drink a hell of a lot of calories. Next in line to US for fatties.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Did anyone find that after moving out to Oz that they actually started to loose weight without even trying because the food out there is alot more healthy than here?

Julie
What makes you think the food is healthier in Australia.

I doubt if there is much difference.

look here:
http://www.betterhealthchannel.com.a...s?OpenDocument

G
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
No. The place is full of cheap fast foods and processed foods and its often so hot you can easily drink a hell of a lot of calories. Next in line to US for fatties.
There was an article in the Herald Sun last week which said that young people in Australia were shunning traditional trade training (carpentry, plumbing etc) in favour of apprenticeships in "truck driving and burger making". Obviously a sign of the times.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:47 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NealMartin
That was my misperception. Although there is healthy food out here - it is hard to see past the fast food outlets which are constantly pedalled.

Often the fast food is cheaper than shopping for the nice fresh healthy option too.

Chicken treat 2 meals for $8
Domino's large Pizza $6

I cant buy food and cook from fresh cheaper than that.

However I never ate salad in the UK and quite often have a salad for lunch now. Too damn hot for hot food

I have lost about half a stone in 5 months and I have far from tried, I dont exercise,( except from cleaning the backpackers everyday) I drink (a bit too much JD and full fat coke) and eat way too many takeaways.

Kala

Kala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.