Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone in Oz still have a Barclays account?

Does anyone in Oz still have a Barclays account?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone in Oz still have a Barclays account?

I still have a small Barclays account in th UK which I have used for settling the occasional Nationwide visa bill: now that Nationwide will no longer send cards to Australia my N/W account has "lapsed".

I understand that Barclays now require a gizmo to pay *new* bills online: has anyone had one sent out?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:31 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone in Oz still have a Barclays account?

Originally Posted by Wol
I still have a small Barclays account in th UK which I have used for settling the occasional Nationwide visa bill: now that Nationwide will no longer send cards to Australia my N/W account has "lapsed".

I understand that Barclays now require a gizmo to pay *new* bills online: has anyone had one sent out?
My Barclays account has a UK address and it was sent there and then brought over here.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Yep, the gizmo you describe is a 'Pin Sentry'. We both have a UK Barclays account, but we too have a UK address so any info gets sent there and forwarded.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. They have our Oz address and the very occasional statements are sent here but they haven't given me any indication that I would need a gizmo apart from some reference in a FAQ.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wol
Thanks. They have our Oz address and the very occasional statements are sent here but they haven't given me any indication that I would need a gizmo apart from some reference in a FAQ.
I was not allowed to do a transfer without the gizmo.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:08 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I've a Barclays account under my Australian address and they posted the gizmo to me here in Australia. Don't use it much - too much hassle.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:08 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think that you *can* if it's to an account you already had used before gizmo-day but not "new" ones.

That's my problem, I only used to use it for Nationwide and now that they are no longer playing ball................
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Wol
I think that you *can* if it's to an account you already had used before gizmo-day but not "new" ones.

That's my problem, I only used to use it for Nationwide and now that they are no longer playing ball................
I cannot remember the detail but I know I needed one for a transfer.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I have Barclays account, and I can't do anything without the gizmo now. They sent the gizmo to my folks, and my mum lost it. I dread to think how much awkwardness and aggravation that's likely to cause...

S
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol

I still have my Barclays account, but i am unaware of a 'gizmo'.

It's a pain trying to ring them from OZ...but i haven't paid bills from my account, although i have used afew cheques. Do you need this gizmo thing to use online banking too?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Rjohan77 will become famous soon enoughRjohan77 will become famous soon enough

oh yes definitely, we had our accounts looong before the gizmo arrived and yet now we are in canada, we cannot transfer our money from UK to our account in Canada because we have to wait till all the st*pid gizmos arrived, and mind you, they arrived one by one, first the PIN, then the Card, and we just knew today that we need the card reader too! arrghhhh, I hate Barclays! now we might not get the good rate when the card reader arrives.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I still have my Barclays account, but i am unaware of a 'gizmo'.

It's a pain trying to ring them from OZ...but i haven't paid bills from my account, although i have used afew cheques. Do you need this gizmo thing to use online banking too?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi We have a Barclays account and I requested the new pinentry (calculator type thing) a couple of weeks ago online. They posted it out to me here in Australia and it took around 5 working days. Hope this helps.

Marie
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:54 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol

Hi

I only found out about this Pin Sentry machine when I tried to do a FX deal recently - Barclays had kindly wiped this dealer's details from my online banking site as I hadn't used it for a year or so - no prior warning of course. Luckily the dealer allowed the deal to stand until I had received the thing from Barclays and was able to transfer the sterling.

Why Barclays couldn't issue a fob-type thing, instead of something the size of a calculator, is beyond me - but I've long since despaired of that bank and its procedures. If it wasn't such a hassle to close and open with someone else (who may be just as useless!) I would have done it ages ago. How many times on the phone I have been invited to go into my local branch when I have advised them that I live in deepest Australia and it would be too long a swim, is beyond me

Jim

ps all well "down south" ?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>ps all well "down south" ?<<

Yes thanks, JC: it's blowing a gale at present and out gardening you have to stand at 45' to the wind!

It's been a hell of a winter - every time I think it's over ..................