Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone not drive on the Gold Coast?

Does anyone not drive on the Gold Coast?

Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:24 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone not drive on the Gold Coast?

My Mrs has asked me to ask if anyone lives on the Gold Coast and doesn't drive? If so where do you live and what are the facilities like? Do you have any good tips other than learn to drive?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:58 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone not drive on the Gold Coast?

Originally Posted by diddy
My Mrs has asked me to ask if anyone lives on the Gold Coast and doesn't drive? If so where do you live and what are the facilities like? Do you have any good tips other than learn to drive?
Just giving myself a thoroughly good bump.

Paul.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:15 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just giving myself a thoroughly good bump.

Paul.

oh aye is there no a name fir that lmao

I dont drive but am not on the Gold Coast
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

You might get away with it if you live in Southport. If central enough you could walk to Aussie Fair and all the Govt offices. Lots of jobs are in Southport and 2 good supermarkets. Lots of buses go to Southport as its so central, so they must all go back somewhere. Also can get the bus to Main Beach. The suburban buses go all over the suburbs picking up people, so a 10 minute car trip becomes an hour on the bus - not recommended. Nothing is feasible by train. See if there is a Surfside website. It is/was the main bus route down the coast. Those buses go straight down the mainroads from what I remember.

Queenie

Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:40 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by queenie
You might get away with it if you live in Southport. If central enough you could walk to Aussie Fair and all the Govt offices. Lots of jobs are in Southport and 2 good supermarkets. Lots of buses go to Southport as its so central, so they must all go back somewhere. Also can get the bus to Main Beach. The suburban buses go all over the suburbs picking up people, so a 10 minute car trip becomes an hour on the bus - not recommended. Nothing is feasible by train. See if there is a Surfside website. It is/was the main bus route down the coast. Those buses go straight down the mainroads from what I remember.

Queenie

This is what we found. We settled in Helensvale which is pretty quiet and hard to get around. A 15 min drive to Southport takes 50 mins onthe bus, so we're no looking at Southport, but it's the housing that's probalem.

Paul.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Lots of nice flats about. If you need a house you will have more trouble. What about the area behind "Sundale". There is a new complex going up just before the bridge, where the old Sundale used to be. If you take the road behind the building with the Feng Shui hole in it and head up to the mock Tudor houses (towards TSS) there are lots of good housing around there. Could maybe also try Broadbeach, nice cafe area happening with some life (I lived in Helensvale and remember the Bi-lo centre), also walk to Pac Fair.
Is the new Westfield open yet? That might improve things.

Queenie

This is what we found. We settled in Helensvale which is pretty quiet and hard to get around. A 15 min drive to Southport takes 50 mins onthe bus, so we're no looking at Southport, but it's the housing that's probalem.

Paul.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by queenie
Lots of nice flats about. If you need a house you will have more trouble. What about the area behind "Sundale". There is a new complex going up just before the bridge, where the old Sundale used to be. If you take the road behind the building with the Feng Shui hole in it and head up to the mock Tudor houses (towards TSS) there are lots of good housing around there. Could maybe also try Broadbeach, nice cafe area happening with some life (I lived in Helensvale and remember the Bi-lo centre), also walk to Pac Fair.
Is the new Westfield open yet? That might improve things.

Queenie
Funny you should ask. The grand opening is today. Even with that it's still gonna be dull there. The Bi-Lo is apparently gonna be closed next year. It'll be emotional.
Re Helensvale, It was a bit of a rushed decision and we really should've headed towards the beach. I think you're right about the housing so meybe Broadbeach is the go.

Paul.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

If you are looking for a house in Broardbeach expect to pay Millions for a wooden shack as it must be one of the TOP locations to live on the GC. If you want a house try Robina Village ( the old village not the new township ) as I looked at a nice free standing 3 bedroom brick house on the main bus route (runs every 30 minutes thoughout the day and hourly untill late at night) with large swimming pool for less than $400,000 less then 3 months ago.

BroardBeach Waters, Mermaid Waters and Merrimac are cheaper than Broardbeach and close to the sea but you find mainly townhouses or complexes rather then freestsanding houses. But you are still talking $500,000 for a 3 bedroom job.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

If you live on the Gold Coast you need a flash car to get around in so everyone can see how expensive your hair/clothes/jewellery/lifestyle/etc is.

You use your flash car to go everywhere, the corner shop for the paper, taking your dog for a walk (its illegal to put your body outside the window whilst driving, but hey you have a flash car), doing laps while waiting for that parking spot right outside your neighbourhood outdoor cafe.

Nobody on the GC ever gets seen on a bus!

WW
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
If you live on the Gold Coast you need a flash car to get around in so everyone can see how expensive your hair/clothes/jewellery/lifestyle/etc is.

You use your flash car to go everywhere, the corner shop for the paper, taking your dog for a walk (its illegal to put your body outside the window whilst driving, but hey you have a flash car), doing laps while waiting for that parking spot right outside your neighbourhood outdoor cafe.

Nobody on the GC ever gets seen on a bus!

WW
Well it looks like I won't fit in then cos I won't have a flash car, will be walking loads and definitely don't have expensive hair/clothes/jewellery/lifestyle/etc. Surprisingly enough there is far more to GC than a beach and some highrises.

Diddy, did you PM Wholeworldwindow and Flowersofscotland? They are both very close to you.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:48 pm
Banned

Feed the Goat will become famous soon enoughFeed the Goat will become famous soon enough

GC is rocking

plenty of Public transport , and trains to Brisbane, commuter parks,

there is a goo few pubs, good beaches and a lot more happening,

oh and the critics say crime crime crime, blackpool and overbuilt,

what a load of dogs dinner, totally disagree,

Australia needs more satellite towns etc, and this is becoming one of them,
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well it looks like I won't fit in then cos I won't have a flash car, will be walking loads and definitely don't have expensive hair/clothes/jewellery/lifestyle/etc. Surprisingly enough there is far more to GC than a beach and some highrises.

Diddy, did you PM Wholeworldwindow and Flowersofscotland? They are both very close to you.

I certainly don't have the flash car or money and I fit in just fine, yes their are a lot of people like that on the GC, but the majority is working class people, and its a fatastic place to live, you have to give yourself time to settle, everyone finds it hard at first.

I'm in Arundel, 5 mins from you diddy, I do drive, but I know we have a pretty good bus system here, and a small shopping centre with all the basics, 10 mins walk from me. If you find its too hard for your wife being in Helensvale then I would look at being in Southport area, as she may find it easier to walk to places, but the new westfield is supposed to be good, haven't been yet as its been so busy, is that walking distance to you? your wife would probably settle a lot better if she met friends, I know how hard it is at first, but when you meet people it makes a huge huge difference to everything. If you need any info at all pm me

Lisa
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:41 am
Banned

Feed the Goat will become famous soon enoughFeed the Goat will become famous soon enough

well if there are unsettled people,

maybe we should all get together for a good old pommie whinging night out in the GC,

i believe there a few here who do partake,

i dont mean meeting on parks on a sunday neither, being all conservative