Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to get broadband.

Trying to get broadband.

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:25 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trying to get broadband.

We move into our rentel next week so I've been trying to get broadband set up, but there's never been a phone line at the address.

So I have to enter into a 12 month phone contract which I wont use as mobiles are cheaper(nearly 10p a minute for a local call on the land line) just to find out if I'm able to have it.

They tell me other adresses in the street have it but often they only wire up to a certain distance.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Trying to get broadband.

Aah yes, broadband, one of my husband's gripes about Aus, particularly the limited download. Where are you staying? Did you know that the city has a wireless broadband connection? Grab a laptop and a coffee and go sit in the park, it's a gorgeous day
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:25 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

what do you mean 10p a minute! it's only 22c for an UNTIMED local call, and can be even less!

Originally Posted by fraser
We move into our rentel next week so I've been trying to get broadband set up, but there's never been a phone line at the address.

So I have to enter into a 12 month phone contract which I wont use as mobiles are cheaper(nearly 10p a minute for a local call on the land line) just to find out if I'm able to have it.

They tell me other adresses in the street have it but often they only wire up to a certain distance.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:59 am
vor
Forum Regular

vor will become famous soon enough

The distance limit applies to the distance from your localk exchange and really isn't an issue in a metropolitan area (I'm assuming you're in Melbourne). If the exchange is ADSL enabled, and it must be if your neighbours have broadband, then you'll be fine.

There's no getting around the need to have a landline first. Unless you go for a wireless option (http://www.iburst.com.au) you just have to suffer it.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:14 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replys you've been much clearer than all the peeps in optus and telstra who led me to believe it was 22 cents a minute.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by vor
The distance limit applies to the distance from your localk exchange and really isn't an issue in a metropolitan area (I'm assuming you're in Melbourne). If the exchange is ADSL enabled, and it must be if your neighbours have broadband, then you'll be fine.

There's no getting around the need to have a landline first. Unless you go for a wireless option (http://www.iburst.com.au) you just have to suffer it.
That iburst looks great I'd of went for that, shame then that I signed a contract for a phone line yesterday
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replys you've been much clearer than all the peeps in optus and telstra who led me to believe it was 22 cents a minute.

It can go as low at 18.5 cents per call, if you pay a higher rental

Fast tracking you the best value Internet provider in Aussie, especially if you plan to watch live tv on the net, for your football games etc, at 1.5 mbs per sec for 25 gigs, plus the bonus of a virtual phone card for approx 500 mins of oseas/longdistance/mobile phone cards per month. for 69 bucks per month is TPG. Thats a fast speed for Aussie. 1.5/256

I pulled out of Iprimus to go with them, btw Iprimus are being very shifty and have grabbed a telephone exchange here in Coburg, It's a very grey area what they have done, and Telstra are going to sue them. What this means for me is, when I pulled out from Iprimus, I had to pay A reconnection fee, of 209 bucks (however Telstra have given me the carrot of free oseas telephone calls for 3 months) just to get a line changed over at the exchange. Telstra have advised me to talk to the Telephone ombudsman. I had to change to the telstra line, so that I could sign up with TPG, this saga has been going on now for about 5 weeks, as Iprimus are refusing to let go of the line, without putting up a hurdle at every step.

http://www.tpg.com.au/

Does anyone here work for any of the Telco's, Because no one I talk to can beleive that Iprimus have grabbed the exchange, I wondered if they had grabbed any others around the country ?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:15 am
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

F.W.I.W. I switched us from Bigpond (should really be 'Big waste of time/rip off pond') to Exetel. With Bigpond we had 512/64 with a 500MB download limit (which we had used within 2 weeks), for $39.95. With Exetel we have 1.5MB/256 with a 16GB download limit for $60, they also don't count uploads in your quota, unlike some. Also with Bigpond they wanted to charge us for extra email addresses (one for each of the family), whereas with Exetel we get up to 15 free.
I'm not saying Exetel are the best, just best for us where we live. It pays to do a lot of research. On one site it said I could go with TSN and get 2MB/1Mb for something like $50 until I found out our exchange doesn't support ADSL2 (price you pay for living miles away from the big cities).
Good luck with it Fraser.