Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:08 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Nice one lads that is what I was looking for.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a lad
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:40 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lad ...My bad
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I drove through Broadmeadows by mistake the other day (never miss the Western Ringroad/Princes Freeway turning off the Tulla freeway, it's a nightmare to get back!!). Hhhhmmmmm, interesting is all I'd say. The bit we drove through was very run down and looked rough, but having said that, we drove past a hovel that had just sold (it looked awful and the house next door had a tip as a front garden!) for $505,000!!!!! It pleased me because I could come back to Geelong and tell my husband that we can't even afford Broadmeadows if we move to Melbourne - hee hee........

Last edited by itigo; Dec 23rd 2010 at 2:45 pm. Reason: Irrelevant quote
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by itigo
I drove through Broadmeadows by mistake the other day (never miss the Western Ringroad/Princes Freeway turning off the Tulla freeway, it's a nightmare to get back!!). Hhhhmmmmm, interesting is all I'd say. The bit we drove through was very run down and looked rough, but having said that, we drove past a hovel that had just sold (it looked awful and the house next door had a tip as a front garden!) for $505,000!!!!! It pleased me because I could come back to Geelong and tell my husband that we can't even afford Broadmeadows if we move to Melbourne - hee hee........
Oh dear ... 505,000 for a hovel.

It should piont out that I just have to do a bit of work there soon and I was just looking for some opinions. The place does seem to have a divide between good and shocking.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

there are places which are less worse (couldn't bring myself to say 'better') and not too unaffordable. Fawkner is a bit rough, but does't have the rep of Broadmeadows.

Coburg and Coburg north are far nicer
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Broadmeadows is notorious or at least was. I would say it's probably actually worse now in places like Sunshine, Braybrook, Tottenham, St Albans etc.

The flat, dry, run down, barren, weed infested and industrial western suburbs are in stark contrast to the hillier and leafy areas to the east of Melbourne. This is why the suburbs extend further to the east than the west. The west was set aside for industry during the early development of Melbourne due to the fact it is a generally ugly area geographically. All the residential development spread out east.

As a result, western suburb housing has always been much cheaper and attracts the lowest socio-economic bracket, including refugees and the poorest migrants. Street crime and ethnic gang violence as well as drug related crime is well and truly active in the western and outer northern suburbs.

If you were blindfolded, sent over here on a plane and driven to St Albans railway station and then your blindfold was taken off as you traveled into the city, you could be forgiven for thinking you had been taken to third world Asia or Africa or somewhere similar. It is quite astonishing the difference between the west and east.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Dec 24th 2010 at 12:29 am.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Check on why there are so many Mosques in Broadmeadows will give you an indication of the citizens that reside there.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boots
Check on why there are so many Mosques in Broadmeadows will give you an indication of the citizens that reside there.
True, however IMO these mostly new migrants are a lot better than the mostly Aussie lower dregs of society that used to infest the place. in the 60's 70's and early 80's.

Besides Broadmeadows central has a slightly lower proportion of migrants and decent people are actually moving into the place. It's not as problamatic as the adjacent suburbs of Dallas, Upfield Coolaroo, and Meadow Heights. I would recommend Jacana and Westmeadows. Jacana is actually Zone 1. Lot of capital growth potential there. Walking distance to Broadmeadows and Jacana stations and the quite substantial Broadmeadows shopping center. Jacana is actually better than huge chunks of the the next suburb towards the city.... Glenroy

Try for Bannister St Jacana

check it out on Google maps.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 24th 2010 at 8:09 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Broadmeadows is notorious or at least was. I would say it's probably actually worse now in places like Sunshine, Braybrook, Tottenham, St Albans etc.

The flat, dry, run down, barren, weed infested and industrial western suburbs are in stark contrast to the hillier and leafy areas to the east of Melbourne. This is why the suburbs extend further to the east than the west. The west was set aside for industry during the early development of Melbourne due to the fact it is a generally ugly area geographically. All the residential development spread out east.

As a result, western suburb housing has always been much cheaper and attracts the lowest socio-economic bracket, including refugees and the poorest migrants. Street crime and ethnic gang violence as well as drug related crime is well and truly active in the western and outer northern suburbs.

If you were blindfolded, sent over here on a plane and driven to St Albans railway station and then your blindfold was taken off as you traveled into the city, you could be forgiven for thinking you had been taken to third world Asia or Africa or somewhere similar. It is quite astonishing the difference between the west and east.
Yup, weed infested, barren, run down Yarraville, Newport, Seddon and Williamstown. Hate to find myself landed with a house there

As an out and proud westie I find that the initial reaction to hearing the name of my suburb is one of distaste. The comments are usually something in a similar vein to those above but a little further questioning usually reveals that the person involved hasn't been to the west in a decade or so and has no idea what it's like beyond what has always been said about it.

It is flat and large parts of it are historically industrial. To me that means huge plots of land, houses which have had one careful owner since the 1950s and the ability to live within 20 minutes by train from the CBD for a house price that wouldn't buy you an apartment in some eastern suburbs.

I've lived in the west for 2.5 years and have never had any problems - never seen any violence or felt threatened walking home late at night from the train station. I've had a couple of bad experiences in Camberwell, however, where I work. Fact of the matter is that there is crime everywhere. I'm sure the crime rates here in my suburb for certain crimes are far worse than for certain suburbs in the east and I'm sure the reverse is true. We're not in the RACV 40 most burgled suburbs unlike a good friend who shelled out a huge sum of money to live in Clifton Hill.

I'll climb down off my soapbox now
Old Dec 26th 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

LongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to allLongWayHome is a name known to all

Got it's own game!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?-broady.jpg  
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No, would not live there, also anywhere that was in the flight paths from Tullamarine. East west flight path.