Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:38 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Hi

Anyone live/work in or around Broadmeadows in Melbourne ?

Thoughts on the area good or bad?

Thanks in advence
Zambia
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:50 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in Broadmeadows Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hi

Thanks in advence
Zambia
probably not really helpful but- when i was a kid growing up in melbourne, one of the jokes about a place if it was bad was that it was the "broadmeadows of melbourne"...

i'm not sure if i even know what it looks like to tell you the truth ,but its reputation preceeded it....
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

My friend's husband works in housing for people on restricted income in Broadmeadows.

He said he would never live there in a million years.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:36 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
My friend's husband works in housing for people on restricted income in Broadmeadows.

He said he would never live there in a million years.
Sounds perfect for Zambia
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Theres Broadmeadows and then theres the municipality of Hume.

Great swathes of Broadmeadows are still recovering from it's past history as the main Social housing area of Melbourne.

It's come a long way since the 60's and 70's when it was definitely the roughest part of Melbourne.

There are plenty of other areas that rightfully have moved into that position, so it has done well.

You would still need to pick your area, especially your neighbors very carefully. If it's capital gain your after then I would suggest Jacana which is doing well with spill over professionals that cannot afford inside the ring road. Other places close to Broadmeadows are almost affluent... Greenvale, Attwood, Westmeadows, if you like the new estate type environment that is.

Avoid like the plague Dallas, Upfield and Coolaroo..... Check your neighbors in places Like Roxburgh Park, Meadow Heights, Broadmeadows central and Gladstone Park. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews re Craigeburn, which is within the municipality of Hume. It's probably got the best large houses for price the closest in to Melbourne... Plenty of 50square (really really large) mansions on the hill just north of the town.

Give me a hoy, re any particular street in any area, and I will try and find out a bit more about it.

I read all the Gas Meters through Broadmeadows from 1980 to 1996.... so I've been to every house there at least 50 times. In fact I read the Pettingills place in Bindi St, Glenroy for years.... the ones that were Associated with the Russell st Bombing, and Walsh St. Who were the inspiration for the following movie. Animal Kingdom.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313092/
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Seems a ghetto from this article. Be careful of such suburbs, better make a pedestrian round on Friday evening and decide

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/jo...020-16u80.html
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:04 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hi

Thanks in advence
Zambia
Just "no".
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Seems a ghetto from this article. Be careful of such suburbs, better make a pedestrian round on Friday evening and decide

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/jo...020-16u80.html

Remember I talked about our Fijian Indian Chappy at work, that is making a decent size property Portfolio out of buying houses in Dallas and renting them out.... he is up to 4 now.

Handles the rent himself.... which involves visits from two huge Fijian "boys"

Greenvale is definitely a desirerable place to live, to Most people that know Melbourne well... and it's certainly very close to Broadmeadows. Mickelham is also a very well thought of location... with 5 acre properties all around 1.5 million bucks.

I'd say I know the area more than the vast majority of people on here.... tread with caution and dont write it off.... especially for capital gain.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Handles the rent himself.... which involves visits from two huge Fijian "boys"
Is it a goon-thing? I mean do tenants pay their rents humbly in those areas or sometimes it gets rough
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is it a goon-thing? I mean do tenants pay their rents humbly in those areas or sometimes it gets rough
According to him, he has very little problem with late payment of rent.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

I remember reading a thread on BE a while ago that said the 'happier' a place name was the worse it tended to be it referred to Broadmeadows and Sunshine in particular
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

I've done a bit of work in places like Broady, Laverton, Frankston North, etc.

By Melbournian standards they're rough - but the people I worked with in Glasgow would take your arm off for a chance to live there.

Its all relative.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obewan
I remember reading a thread on BE a while ago that said the 'happier' a place name was the worse it tended to be it referred to Broadmeadows and Sunshine in particular
include Noble Park, St Albans and Doveton in that. Characteristics are opposite to the meaning of the bold word
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:36 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Its getting better but its still a horrible area.

Suburb next to it St Albans averages 3 legal firearms for every household and that's legal.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

include Noble Park, St Albans and Doveton in that. Characteristics are opposite to the meaning of the bold word
Yehp you know your suburbs already

Thing is Broadmeadows would definitely have been the worse in the 70's.... It's probably out of the bottom 10 now.

I'd say it was better than Dandenong. Probably on a par and being half the distance from the city compared to Dandenong then Broady wins on that score as well.

I'm going to be blunt and say exactly why now. It was full of the worst kind of Anglo Australian social problems that this Country could produce. Now it's mostly full of new migrants and they are way better behaved. It's only the old School Aussie borns thats holding it back, and they are slowly moving out. Jacana is definitely becoming a half decent area now.... Well on a par with Glenroy and Fawkner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.