Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know anything about Russell Island?

Does anyone know anything about Russell Island?

Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:27 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

emmieshaw19 will become famous soon enough
Question Does anyone know anything about Russell Island?

Hi,
Does anyone know anything about Russell Island, good or bad! After much deliberation we (as in me, my husband and 3 kids) have decided to go to Brisbane and I'm hoping this is where Russell Island is as it does look beautiful, will sound a bit stupid if it isn't! Awful to think we have never stepped foot in Australia but have done quite a bit of research and found loads of really good info on this site which lead us to believe Brisbane will, I hope be right for us. I know we want to be on the East Side of Brisbane. We really need to know as we need to get the ball rolling, the sooner we leave the better!!!Can't wait now!! Any help would be brilliant, thanx.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does anyone know anything about Russell Island?

It is beautiful but wont be right for everyone. It has a very island feel to it and is very different to the mainland. Much more laid back, a slower pace of life and is all about lifestyle. It would be a long commute to Brisbane once the ferry trip is thrown in but a reasonable trip to Cleveland/Vic Pt etc for work.
Some would say its a bit backward and quiet and certainly isn't a call to make without an extended visit to check out whether its the lifestyle you're after.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brizbound
It is beautiful but wont be right for everyone. It has a very island feel to it and is very different to the mainland. Much more laid back, a slower pace of life and is all about lifestyle. It would be a long commute to Brisbane once the ferry trip is thrown in but a reasonable trip to Cleveland/Vic Pt etc for work.
Some would say its a bit backward and quiet and certainly isn't a call to make without an extended visit to check out whether its the lifestyle you're after.
Completely agree + you need to be aware that the island is covered in a heavy population of sandflies/midges for the majority of the year. A big consideration for a newly arrived expat as they are usually the ones who get bitten within an inch of their lives . Russell Island is probably the worst of all the bay islands for sandflies etc as it is the largest, with the biggest amount of mud & mangroves.

If it were paradise on Brisbanes doorstep, most of Brisbanes population would be living there . It is a lovely place as brisbound mentioned, but it has some major downsides as well.

Emmie, try this website http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

I know someone who used to live on Russell Island. They moved over to Victoria Point, just on the mainland, mainly for better schooling options for their two young children (5 & 7 at the time, I think).

Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Their was a program or program section about the hoons running wild on Russell island not long ago. Seems their is no permenent police pressence on the island and after school and during school holidays the kids go crazy.

Seems their is very little for them to do on the island except cause trouble. the local pop were trying to convince the local gov to station police on the island permenently. Went their once and once you get off the ferry unless you brought transport with you you were stuck as virtually no public transport and it's a pretty big island.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:45 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Completely agree + you need to be aware that the island is covered in a heavy population of sandflies/midges for the majority of the year. A big consideration for a newly arrived expat as they are usually the ones who get bitten within an inch of their lives . Russell Island is probably the worst of all the bay islands for sandflies etc as it is the largest, with the biggest amount of mud & mangroves.

If it were paradise on Brisbanes doorstep, most of Brisbanes population would be living there . It is a lovely place as brisbound mentioned, but it has some major downsides as well.

Emmie, try this website http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits
Hi, Thank you for all the help and comments etc. I really didn't do my research properly did I!! It's really difficult to know where to go when you haven't seen a place before. I think we will be renting to start with to decide if the area is right for us or not, but definitely want to go to Brisbane. Not too hot or too cold, that's why I understood the East coast was better as there would be a bit of a breeze? The link was very helpful, thank you for that. Any more suggestions would be great,thanx.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:49 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Their was a program or program section about the hoons running wild on Russell island not long ago. Seems their is no permenent police pressence on the island and after school and during school holidays the kids go crazy.

Seems their is very little for them to do on the island except cause trouble. the local pop were trying to convince the local gov to station police on the island permenently. Went their once and once you get off the ferry unless you brought transport with you you were stuck as virtually no public transport and it's a pretty big island.
Hi, Thank you for the info. Definitely don't want to go to a place where you don't feel safe, if that's the right word, had enough of that here. No good if there is nothing for kids either, we have 3 boys aged 2, 5 and 7yrs old and they would be driving us mad! So thank you for telling me. Any other suggestions would be great.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:53 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I know someone who used to live on Russell Island. They moved over to Victoria Point, just on the mainland, mainly for better schooling options for their two young children (5 & 7 at the time, I think).
Hi, I have heard alot of people say they have moved from Perth to Adelaide and then to Brisbane and prefer it hence the decision to go to Brisbane and for other reasons such as more job opportunites, and as you said schooling etc. Thanx for the info.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... lots of leaves ...

Originally Posted by emmieshaw19
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about Russell Island, good or bad! After much deliberation we (as in me, my husband and 3 kids) have decided to go to Brisbane and I'm hoping this is where Russell Island is as it does look beautiful, will sound a bit stupid if it isn't! Awful to think we have never stepped foot in Australia but have done quite a bit of research and found loads of really good info on this site which lead us to believe Brisbane will, I hope be right for us. I know we want to be on the East Side of Brisbane. We really need to know as we need to get the ball rolling, the sooner we leave the better!!!Can't wait now!! Any help would be brilliant, thanx.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Property can be cheaper though

I just got the details of this one in my emails.

2 bed cottage Russell island $100,000

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by emmieshaw19
Hi,
land was going for peanuts there a few years ago, about 4 or 5 years ago, and I mean peanuts. I was thinking of buying some plots of land just for investment at the time but decided against it.

worth a read

http://www.users.bigpond.com/roctangle/
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

A D9 and a skip will fix it up nicely! ;-)

WW
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul

yes i also saw that prog about the hoons , not nice , friends of mine went for a day visit which they enjoyed , theres good and bad everywhere i guess . x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:21 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Are you sure thats not just a caravan!!!!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:48 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by debreeve
yes i also saw that prog about the hoons , not nice , friends of mine went for a day visit which they enjoyed , theres good and bad everywhere i guess . x
Hi Debreeve,

There is good and bad everywhere you are right on that! Whereabouts are you in Brisbane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.