Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know?

Does anyone know?

Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:34 am
  #1  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone know?

My dad had a serious accident a few years back which man he lost part of his right leg, he now has a prosthetic one but like when we went to Florida with him 2 years ago he found the journey VERY uncomfortable, he couldn't wear his prothetic leg for long as it was wedged into the chair in front and kept having to ask the hostesses to store it for him which was a pain as he was on the aisle seat next to two people who seemed to forever need the loo meanign he had to get his leg back and put it on, then he suffered from discomfort for days after (must have been bad cause dad never complains) that was only about 8hours flight.
On the way back as he went home before us and was travelling alone they upgraded him as they had room in business class (I think it was????) for no extra cost, he was a much happier man as he had plenty of space and said the journey was much easier for him.

Dad has said he'll come out and visit us but i'm worried it's going to cost him a fortune becuase he's talking about having to travel business or first class to get the space he needs.
Does anyone know if he could get some sort of medical exemption or something to travel the next class up ???? Or willl he have to pay ££££'s every time he visits?

Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:37 am
  #2  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
My dad had a serious accident a few years back which man he lost part of his right leg, he now has a prosthetic one but like when we went to Florida with him 2 years ago he found the journey VERY uncomfortable, he couldn't wear his prothetic leg for long as it was wedged into the chair in front and kept having to ask the hostesses to store it for him which was a pain as he was on the aisle seat next to two people who seemed to forever need the loo meanign he had to get his leg back and put it on, then he suffered from discomfort for days after (must have been bad cause dad never complains) that was only about 8hours flight.
On the way back as he went home before us and was travelling alone they upgraded him as they had room in business class (I think it was????) for no extra cost, he was a much happier man as he had plenty of space and said the journey was much easier for him.

Dad has said he'll come out and visit us but i'm worried it's going to cost him a fortune becuase he's talking about having to travel business or first class to get the space he needs.
Does anyone know if he could get some sort of medical exemption or something to travel the next class up ???? Or willl he have to pay ££££'s every time he visits?

Jen
my 87 year old grandad flew business class with emirates when he came to visit me last year. It cost him a little over 2000 quid. It is expensive but he didn't have to move a muscle from home to me. He was picked up from home by car and ferried everywhere and the same on the return journey. He said it was excellent. Worth the money in his view.
northernbird is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:39 am
  #3  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
my 87 year old grandad flew business class with emirates when he came to visit me last year. It cost him a little over 2000 quid. It is expensive but he didn't have to move a muscle from home to me. He was picked up from home by car and ferried everywhere and the same on the return journey. He said it was excellent. Worth the money in his view.
Thanks Northern bird thats at least half the price we've found so far.

Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:14 pm
  #4  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,934
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know?

I don't think there is a free upgrade on medical conditions. He can get a note from his doctor explaining that he needs extra leg room and when he makes his reservation ask for a bulkhead seat. They usually have more room. I know we flew my dad from Canada to Ireland (7 hours) for his 80th birthday and he got a bulkhead due to doctor's letter stating that with his artificial knee he couldn't keep his leg bent for that long.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:22 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
I don't think there is a free upgrade on medical conditions. He can get a note from his doctor explaining that he needs extra leg room and when he makes his reservation ask for a bulkhead seat. They usually have more room. I know we flew my dad from Canada to Ireland (7 hours) for his 80th birthday and he got a bulkhead due to doctor's letter stating that with his artificial knee he couldn't keep his leg bent for that long.
Thanks Dorothy I hope it didn't sound bad but not sure how to put it another way. Thanks will make a note of it
Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:24 pm
  #6  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,934
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
Thanks Dorothy I hope it didn't sound bad but not sure how to put it another way. Thanks will make a note of it
Jen
I hope my answer didn't sound sarcastic. I tend to type faster than my brain can process thought at this time of day.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:34 pm
  #7  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
I hope my answer didn't sound sarcastic. I tend to type faster than my brain can process thought at this time of day.
No it didn't at all thanks Dorothy

jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:40 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
HiddenPaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Nappyland
Posts: 2,886
HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
My dad had a serious accident a few years back which man he lost part of his right leg, he now has a prosthetic one but like when we went to Florida with him 2 years ago he found the journey VERY uncomfortable, he couldn't wear his prothetic leg for long as it was wedged into the chair in front and kept having to ask the hostesses to store it for him which was a pain as he was on the aisle seat next to two people who seemed to forever need the loo meanign he had to get his leg back and put it on, then he suffered from discomfort for days after (must have been bad cause dad never complains) that was only about 8hours flight.
On the way back as he went home before us and was travelling alone they upgraded him as they had room in business class (I think it was????) for no extra cost, he was a much happier man as he had plenty of space and said the journey was much easier for him.

Dad has said he'll come out and visit us but i'm worried it's going to cost him a fortune becuase he's talking about having to travel business or first class to get the space he needs.
Does anyone know if he could get some sort of medical exemption or something to travel the next class up ???? Or willl he have to pay ££££'s every time he visits?

Jen
Hi JenJen
I know that Singapore Airlines don't do free upgrades on medical grounds (or at least, didn't previously) . Last time we flew back from Oz I was 6 months pregnant. I had asked for an aisle seat (and got one). The guy in the window seat has a prosthetic leg and his wife asked if I would swap with him so that he had room to stretch his leg out. I had to politely refuse as I knew I needed to get up and walk around at least every hour of the journey. (Besides, she had the aisle seat across from me, so she could have swapped with him (I think she just wanted to sit with him, rather than 3 seats away)). But she also asked the stewardesses if they could move him to first class where he would be more comfortable and they refused, even tho there were seats.
HiddenPaw is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.