Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Wikiposts

Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Old May 5th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Re: Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Doubt whether this news will be of use to you, unless you are a gasfitter, but it could be of interest to some. Today in Adelaide, South Australia, the APA group who employ 20 gasfitters in the residential, industrial and commercial sector announced they are closing these departments, making these engineers, plus admin. and management redundant, with 7 weeks left to work. Having experienced, but survived the frustrations and inconsistencies of the licensing circus I would imagine as a new migrant looking to find work in this field, things will be even tougher now, with competition from experienced locals.
No we are not gas fitters. I am a Personal Assistant and OH and IT person
Old May 6th 2009, 12:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Brilliant advice so far. Thank you. Arkon can I asked where you lived? It's maybe a bit personal to ask why it didn't work out but could you give me a hint please?
Hi, If you do a search on my name you will get an idea, start with the early stuff as it only got better from then on. But the short answer was Mid North Coast NSW, A farm, North of Taree.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jond
GMC have now gone bust.
Are you sure? http://www.gmcompany.com/
Old May 6th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

stalybridge will become famous soon enoughstalybridge will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As already said, have an open mind.

For everything you see that you don't like, also try to notice one or two things that you like better There will be many differences, some you may like others you may not.

Don't buy meat at the supermarkets, use the Butchers.

Find out where Arkon lived, and do NOT move there, from what I recall he was not very happy there

Arkon wouldnt be happy anywhere except next door to a sweetshop in the UK

Its all down to preferences at the end of the day.

I loved Oz from the moment I arrived, I just felt at home. I lived in LA before and although I liked California, I felt very foriegn, probably due to lack of English people and different culture.
Being fron SA you will love the weather here and the space, for example you can easily buy acreage here, everyone I know lives in a detached house with a decent back yard, swimming pools are cheap ($16000) and here in Qld you can live in shorts and tee shirt 90% of the time.
I love going to Wellington Point on Sunday Morning for full English ($10) al fresco and looking at the blue sky and blue ocean.........thats worth millions to me.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:23 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stalybridge
Arkon wouldnt be happy anywhere except next door to a sweetshop in the UK
That's not strictly true. I was 100% happy with my life in the Uk prior to moving here. Coming here was one of those daft 'If I don't do it now, I can never do it' moments. The clock was ticking on the age limit to emigrate.

But yes, I did have a Tesco's within walking distance of the house!!
Old May 6th 2009, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stalybridge
Being fron SA you will love the weather here and the space, for example you can easily buy acreage here, everyone I know lives in a detached house with a decent back yard...
That's a bit disingenuous… buying acreage is a non-starter if you plan to live in Brisbane, or any other major city for that matter. If you want to live somewhere with acres of land then you need to start moving away from the cities… and for some cities a long way away.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

stalybridge will become famous soon enoughstalybridge will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's a bit disingenuous… buying acreage is a non-starter if you plan to live in Brisbane, or any other major city for that matter. If you want to live somewhere with acres of land then you need to start moving away from the cities… and for some cities a long way away.
Sorry BUT.........

Ive just bought acreage in Capalaba, 20 klms from Brisbane CBD, and there are other blocks for sale
Old May 6th 2009, 3:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Another bonus is that Aus has sunshine almost on a daily basis.
*Somewhere* I suppose the sun must be shining. Yes the weather is better than the UK (not difficult) but you're being a bit optimistic!
Old May 6th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno

I went into Bunnings the other week to get a replacement grass catcher for my mower and they said that they had gone bust and couldn't get a parts for GMC products. I had a look around and there wasn't any of there stuff there anymore.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Nicos666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We only have a few more months left here... Although we have done quite a bit of research concerning our move I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or advice for those of us making the move over the pond later this year?

I'm sitting here and I know that I can't possibly know everything but if you have learnt anything along the way with the whole process or if you have been given invaluable advice please, please share

Thanks,
ES
Ear plugs, you will need ear plugs, australians are really noisy generally
Old May 6th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicos666
Ear plugs, you will need ear plugs, australians are really noisy generally

I remember a great post on here once, someone reckoned that all the people in the surronding properties brought huge blocks of metal and spent all weekend grinding them down with angle grinders as that was all they could hear every weekend
Old May 6th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jond
I went into Bunnings the other week to get a replacement grass catcher for my mower and they said that they had gone bust and couldn't get a parts for GMC products. I had a look around and there wasn't any of there stuff there anymore.
You are correct. I am most surprised. I spent a couple of weeks working for GMC 3 years back and they were going through an enormous growth phase. Obviously outstretched themselves in the boom period without leaving any slack for the downturn.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol
*Somewhere* I suppose the sun must be shining. Yes the weather is better than the UK (not difficult) but you're being a bit optimistic!

Think we will have to disagree on that one. For me whether than sun is shining almost everyday it certainly beats looking out at miserable grey skies, nuisance rain and cold weather 80% of the time. The weather on a whole is rubbish here and if I can go somewhere where it's not always freezing then that's fantastic!
Old May 6th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here just over 2 months and are very happy here. Some useful info I've found is left lanes do tend to disappear so I stick to the middle lane or right lane (how very Un-English of me!), Don't say "Routing" around Australian's they nudge and wink at you , the police are very secretive about catching speeders - they hide in and around bushes like the Gustapo! I tend to use cruise control so I don't get carried away.

Food and beer is expensive IMO but on the flip side renters don't pay council tax, we don't have a gas bill and petrol is half the price of the UK so swings and roundabouts. We've found that on a percentage of earnings and outgoings comparing the UK to Oz its about the same.

Get a TFN as soon as you arrive, really easy to do online and mine arrived within a week, Register with medicare asap and find your local bulk billing doctor, If you are renting in the UK try and bring references from your current landlord for Oz letting agents and also a Aussie reference will go a long way for you as well.

The best advice of all is be happy and positive, it would be impossible not to compare it to England or whereever home is for you but slowly you'll stop. I went to the shops the other day and didn't convert the amount into pounds, one of the first times since I've been here.

Oh and don't get stressed when you don't where places are, when you get lost or when it just doesn't feel like "you're in the know"... everythings new and adjusting will probably take a long time.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:59 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Think we will have to disagree on that one. For me whether than sun is shining almost everyday it certainly beats looking out at miserable grey skies, nuisance rain and cold weather 80% of the time. The weather on a whole is rubbish here and if I can go somewhere where it's not always freezing then that's fantastic!
I don't think we disagree at all!

The UK weather is one of the two reasons we moved - that and the overcrowding there.

There are no more plusses as far as I'm concerned.

Wol (settling in for another frosty night, having been out and covered over all the semi-tender plants.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.