Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Old May 4th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Hi all,

We only have a few more months left here... Although we have done quite a bit of research concerning our move I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or advice for those of us making the move over the pond later this year?

I'm sitting here and I know that I can't possibly know everything but if you have learnt anything along the way with the whole process or if you have been given invaluable advice please, please share

Thanks,
ES
Old May 4th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

I hope someone pops along and gives you the advice you need, its a long while ago for me over thirty years.

Keep an open mind and remember its not Britain in the sun its completely different, Australians have different tastes to Brtis in TV, Beer, Sport, shopping and what they want to buy in shops. When they get in their/our cars its like dodgem cars.

Cars pass on both sides, people are supposed to keep to the left but they don't. You must give way to pedestrians.

If in Melbourne do not put your feet on seats on trains big fines for that if the transit spies are around.

Lots of old cars on the road as they do not rust here and as long as the engine keeps going they keep on travelling along

Making friends takes time.

Although there are a lot of small bars these days mostly our pubs are very large places and people do not just drop in for a pint.

In Melbourne the pubs are open all the time and the clubs stay open till people go to work in the morning. Gaming rooms in most pubs are open 24 hours a day. Do not know about other States.

Melbourne has shopping 24/7 only shut on 3 days a year Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

Be careful when going out in the sun, 30 minutes is really all one should do until aclimatised and wear sunscreen and a hat.

At work keep your head down and work until you get to know a few people, Aussies hate being told what to do.

Join soccer, AFL, tennis, cricket clubs as players or just a social member then you get to meet lots of people who are very nice and friendly.

Aussies are very friendly people.

Good luck
Old May 4th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi all,

We only have a few more months left here... Although we have done quite a bit of research concerning our move I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or advice for those of us making the move over the pond later this year?

I'm sitting here and I know that I can't possibly know everything but if you have learnt anything along the way with the whole process or if you have been given invaluable advice please, please share

Thanks,
ES
What state are you going to? Each state is like a different country so it will make a difference!
Old May 4th 2009, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi all,

Thanks,
ES
Don't assume that all Aussie beer is crud. Get into Dan Murpheys and start experimenting till you find one you like.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:58 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

ship everything you can, be surprised how much it adds up to replace the little stuff as well as the big

dont ditch the warm clothes, boots and duvets.

Last edited by Possums; May 4th 2009 at 10:13 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Possums
ship everything you can, be surprised how much it adds up to replace the little stuff as well as the big
That's a good one.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Don't buy Talon, Ryobi or GMC tools unless you want to have a short relationship with them. Buy Stihl or Husqvarna
Old May 4th 2009, 10:14 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Do bring lots of money
Old May 4th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
very true, if you do ship everything though do it as far in advance of leaving as you can.

We were stuffed up for nearly 3 months waiting for everything. We didn't want to buy things as we knew it was on it's way. Try to avoid that as much as possible as it can cloud you settling in period!
(we sent ours 2/3 weeks before we left, stayed with family for 2 weeks here but still waited another 3 months in our unfurnished rental) When the shipping company says 4-6 weeks it means 8-12!!!!!!!!
Old May 4th 2009, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Petals
Cars pass on both sides, people are supposed to keep to the left but they don't.
Not quite true. You're only supposed to keep left on roads that are marked 'Keep Left unless Overtaking'. This is typically rural roads. On urban dual carriageways there is no requirement to keep left.

This is something Brits need to be aware of as they have a tendency to drift left without looking; especially when coming off roundabouts.

If in Melbourne do not put your feet on seats on trains big fines for that if the transit spies are around.
This is the same in the UK, so shouldn't come as a surprise. Common decency dictates this as well.

Old May 4th 2009, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sammyg
very true, if you do ship everything though do it as far in advance of leaving as you can.

We were stuffed up for nearly 3 months waiting for everything. We didn't want to buy things as we knew it was on it's way. Try to avoid that as much as possible as it can cloud you settling in period!
(we sent ours 2/3 weeks before we left, stayed with family for 2 weeks here but still waited another 3 months in our unfurnished rental) When the shipping company says 4-6 weeks it means 8-12!!!!!!!!
That can go either way. We expected 8 weeks and it only took 5 weeks. We had to pay for storage on this side as a consequence. With the benefit of hindsight it would have been cheaper to store in the UK rather than Aus.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disagree with you a dual carriageway is the only road you can keep left on and its law whether there is a sign or not if you are travelling at over 80km an hour.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Sorry to disagree with you a dual carriageway is the only road you can keep left on and its law whether there is a sign or not if you are travelling at over 80km an hour.
I agree with the over 80. If it's 80 or less then there's no requirement to keep left.

The road to Philip Island has parts that are 4 lanes (2 in each direction) but is a single carriageway. The keep left rule applies there even though it's not a dual carriageway.

PS: When I said rural roads earlier I meant rural dual carriageways. I made the assumption that it was obvious that you need 2 lanes on one side in order to keep left. I can see that was a bad assumption.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 4th 2009 at 10:46 pm.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

My top tip would be to never turn down an invitation. Even if you're tired, don't feel like going out, nervous, not sure that the people are your cup of tea etc etc - always go. You'll have good nights out and some absolute shockers - but it's the best way to meet new people.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by sammyg
What state are you going to? Each state is like a different country so it will make a difference!
Sorry I should have mentioned that. Brisbane it is. However, it ultimately depends where OH finds a job. Tasmania is also a second option for us. Should have also mentioned we are originally from SA and still have our accents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.