Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does anyone else..

does anyone else..

Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default does anyone else..

get scared the closer the d day date gets??

we are flying out from the uk on the 22nd september..i finish work on the 5th..handed my notice in a couple of weeks back now..but now that we have gone past the point of no return so to speak i am really getting very nervous about all of this..

i have a job to go to in sydney..it all seemed so rosy a few months back when they offered me the job with all relocation costs..we sold our house in wales a just less than 2 years ago and moved to dublin to take up a role that doubled my salary in the uk..but we grew disilusioned (spelling!!!) with dublin at not only the cost of housing but the whole cost of living in general..a meal out for two with a bottle of wine in a middle of the road type of restaurant sets you back at least €170+.. (euro)..a pint of the famous black stuff in our local in Malahide village costs €5.05 euro...Dublin is over priced and very over rated..but hey..the money is good here but it needs to be..

but back to what i am trying to say..i am nervous now...thank god for BE as i have found this place to offer the best information and has been the most useful tool for finding things out...i have never been to australia before..my wife did the whole gap year thing ten years ago and loved it..and i luckily new someone that got a job through an agent in london and then i simply emailed the agent my cv and asked if there was any chance of me getting a job in sydney too..its all snowballed from there and now flights are booked, removal firm booked accomodation in manly sorted...i should be really excited..but deep down i am crapping it..

but hey..if we dont try we will never know i guess..
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:26 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does anyone else..

Us too! OH is starting to have sleepless nights now, worrying about the future...

I think you'd be a bit weird if you didn't have some last minute eebie jeebies!

I'm cacking it too... again!!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:34 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
get scared the closer the d day date gets??

we are flying out from the uk on the 22nd september..i finish work on the 5th..handed my notice in a couple of weeks back now..but now that we have gone past the point of no return so to speak i am really getting very nervous about all of this..

i have a job to go to in sydney..it all seemed so rosy a few months back when they offered me the job with all relocation costs..we sold our house in wales a just less than 2 years ago and moved to dublin to take up a role that doubled my salary in the uk..but we grew disilusioned (spelling!!!) with dublin at not only the cost of housing but the whole cost of living in general..a meal out for two with a bottle of wine in a middle of the road type of restaurant sets you back at least €170+.. (euro)..a pint of the famous black stuff in our local in Malahide village costs €5.05 euro...Dublin is over priced and very over rated..but hey..the money is good here but it needs to be..

but back to what i am trying to say..i am nervous now...thank god for BE as i have found this place to offer the best information and has been the most useful tool for finding things out...i have never been to australia before..my wife did the whole gap year thing ten years ago and loved it..and i luckily new someone that got a job through an agent in london and then i simply emailed the agent my cv and asked if there was any chance of me getting a job in sydney too..its all snowballed from there and now flights are booked, removal firm booked accomodation in manly sorted...i should be really excited..but deep down i am crapping it..

but hey..if we dont try we will never know i guess..
What you are feeling is perfectly normal.

We've all been there (but most of us without the security of a job to go to)

So just relax, enjoy the ride, and if you dont like it (I bet you do) you can always come home.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Yep totally, i am totally bricking it and we still have the house to sell, we are going to validate in October and i'm hoping that will ease my worries but we can only wait and see. The way i see it is that if i don't like it then i can come back, if i don't try it then i'll regret it for the rest of my life. Most of us will love it, some of us will hate it and end up coming back but at the end of the day if you don't try you'll never know. Chin up everyone it will be good, it's so much a better life out there and it's just fab. Everything will be ok and we will have a lot better lifestyle, so much less stress and a better way of life. Masses of good luck to everyone. If you have a bad day, shout on hear and you'll get a shed load of support from loads of people
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:45 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
..a pint of the famous black stuff in our local in Malahide village costs €5.05 euro...Dublin is over priced and very over rated..but hey..the money is good here but it needs to be..
oh dear , get ready for some bad news !
A pint of Guinness here is often $8, which is pretty equivalent to your 5 euro figure at current exchange rates.....