Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Jobs in UK

Credit Controller £8.00 ph

Legal Credit Controller £16-20k py

Corporate Finance Executive £28-30k py

When compared to a lot of OZ jobs advertised, there does not seem to be a major difference. I agree that wages in the UK are generally higher, but from what I have read, most people do not come here for the "good" wages, but for the lifestyle that they are expecting.

And that lifestyle can be achieved, many do achieve it.
It is not a silly dream to everyone.

Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm beeen out here for 11 years, 7 in NZ and 4 in oz. My quality of life improved when I moved to NZ and it got even better when I move to Oz.

Don't get me wrong I'm British and proud of it, but I just got tired of the constant bad weather (rain, fog, overcast) most days whereas here it's the opposite (clear skies, hot) and the impossibilty of getting anywhere due to traffic jams. And I wasn't living in a big city. From what I've heard it's got even worse since I left.

Oz is not for everyone (to start you've got to like hot weather) but for me it's close to ideal (never been back to UK in 11 years and don't intend to).

The only down side for me was the poor jobs I got in Oz (had no problems in NZ which surprised me) but the pay was fine.

Few people will make a fortune out here working, but if you've got money to invest thats a different story.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:34 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

I can happily say I've been in Oz for 14+ years and I've never been back to the UK. Not even for a visit.

But as for thinking that Oz is the answer to all your problems, think again! It has different problems, but the difference is that they're problems in the sun!

Seriously though, there's a lot about this place that I like and very little that I dislike (in fact I would have to say that there's nothing I dislike about Australia, mainly because that is a gross sweeping generalisation about the nation. You can't blame the country because you can't get your favorite fish and chips, that's just irrational)

I love the people. They're a great bunch. And I'm pretty sure they like me back. Which is good. I love the heat. It's great! Although I'm really living in the wrong state for warmth (Victoria has its moments, but really, there are warmer states. Honestly, there are, trust me). I like the travel here, I'm a travel person. Getting used to the long journeys between places is a great thing. The beers ok too.

I love the food too, there's a lot of good clean and very tasty food in Australia. Better quality all around. Some of the best restaurants I've come across have been in Adelaide (really top notch nosh, take a trip around the Barossa. yum!)

uh, anyways. It's all good. Don't move back, ok?

kthxbye
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Centurix
I love the heat. It's great! Although I'm really living in the wrong state for warmth (Victoria has its moments, but really, there are warmer states.
Heat ? Victoria ?

I agree, and i'm even pretty happy with the Fish & Chips I can get here
But as i've said before, its not perfect, but no-where is !
And i'm not going back to the UK in a hurry again

Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:46 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

heh, before I came to Melbourne I always heard the expression "four seasons in one day" and never understood what it meant until I have frost at day break, hot sun in the morning, rain in the early afternoon and then a blue sky day until sun set. After that I left the house with an umbrella, jumper and sun glasses!
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:48 am
Badge

Originally posted by dotty
I know we all sit here and amaze at how high house prices are in the UK, wouldn't be something to do with the wages would it.
na it's a comination of panic, low interest rates, dual incomes, and people releasing equitry in their homes of their parents, or receiving it as inheritance. A tiny minority working in the City get large salaries but that is the minority. Try telling to that every day workers - look in the papers for the public sector and you will see what people really earn.

All the people my age ie. late 20s were only able to buy homes in the boom of 2000- due to their parents reaching in to their pockets. Even though they were earning only 22-25K. And dual incomes. There was a time when a mortage was 3* your income, no more. In Australia and the UK.

Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Nationally house prices have risen by 64% during the past 10 years, while teachers' salaries have increased by just 43%. Regional differences mean that a teacher in London would now need to earn 85% more than the average teachers' pay of £26,400 in order for property in the capital to be as affordable as for the average teacher in Britain.

Average home in London costs seven times teacher's salary

A Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) can expect to start on a scale that ranges from £18,105 to £26,460 (£21,522 to £30,000 in Inner London), whilst the starting salary for a teacher on Fast Track is a minimum of £18,984.

Public Sector Salaries: The Facts
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Megalania
Nationally house prices have risen by 64% during the past 10 years, while teachers' salaries have increased by just 43%.
And in the last 10 years here in Australia, property has gone up by:

Sydney 166.2%
Melbourne 153.9%
Brisbane 144.8%
Adelaide 99.0%
Perth 96.2%
Canberra 90.3%

information calculated from: www.navra.com.au/

Anyone know how OZ teachers rates have changed in the same 10 year period ?

Old Apr 4th 2004, 4:22 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We went to the beach this weekend and got talking to an English couple. The have been out here a month. These are just some of his statements:

"It's not like our validation holiday" he said

"Once you realise what you left behind and how good we had it in the UK living here becomes a bit more of a reality" he said

I've found work but they just don't take my qualifications into account" he said

"Not sure I could work in the heat we had two weeks ago" (40c) he said

"Our daughter doesn't like it, misses her friends" he said

"Son loves it" (son pipes in..."but I like England better") he said

"The cost of living is higher than we thought it would be" he said

My wife seems to like it but I'am definitely not sure" he said

"We thought we would at least stay the two years to get our PR, even if we decided we didn't like it, but not sure I could stay that long" he said

Not much more to say about that really except that when I went to Singapore everyone just loved my daughter, she's got blonde hair AND blue eyes.

Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

VanishingDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Janeyray!

The story you told about the couple you met on the beach was interesting.
What brought you to Perth Janeyray?
Are you going back to the UK for the same reasons as that other couple?
How long have you been in OZ?
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:58 pm
Oz - dream or reality?

MJHuk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Adelaide brits

Cold you post the the website for Adelaide brits. We are hoping to to go to Adelaide. Husband has Family there. Would be interested to visit site Thanks MJH
Originally posted by podgypossum
Correct..i quite agree..but maybe you werent around when Dotty has made it personal on several occasions, with several other members, by making personal remarks about the poster because THEY disagree with her.

Dotty does very nicely thankyou over on the returning to UK forum, and Dotty would get a lot more respect from people if she din't attempt to trample over their dreams and tell them they are fools.
I have had personal experience of it myself and i DO live here!!! and DO know what i am talking about.

When i first joined this forum, i wanted to offer my help and experience in NZ, and my new experiences since coming to Adelaide. All i got (and a few others) was a string of belittling and sarcastic comments, stating we had no idea what we were talking about. Is that not condescending???

I tried to be kind, caring and friendly and that was scorned on too and not just by Dotty. I made a big mistake in questioning her highnesses views, and that started the ball rolling...now..i'm a thick skinned individual and wasn't scared off by it, but i know of many potential helpful and supportive new members, who took one look at the abuse and left!!!

Just because a person has been here a long time doesnt make them right.

You are soooo right that we should be here helping and supporting each other, but you can't do that when theres a constant ping pong match going on. We have a brilliant website over at Adelaide Brits. I don't think we have had a single bust up. Plenty of disagreements and differing opinions, but the difference is, we treat each other with respect. Not a lot of that goes on in here.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:20 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by VanishingDragon
Hi Janeyray!

The story you told about the couple you met on the beach was interesting.
What brought you to Perth Janeyray?
Are you going back to the UK for the same reasons as that other couple?
How long have you been in OZ?
Hi Van D,

Been in Oz 14 months. Came on an Aussie passport so it's not like we waited years to get here.

Going back due to missing family and friends, nothing good enough out here to replace them unfortunately
Obviously we didn't plan to go back when we made plans to come out here, it's just one of those things.

We've had an excellent time since we decided back in August that we were returning. It has made our time here a lot more fun and enjoyable knowing that we will be only here for a while rather than forever.

Good luck with your plans

Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:32 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Adelaide brits

Originally posted by MJHuk22
Cold you post the the website for Adelaide brits. We are hoping to to go to Adelaide. Husband has Family there. Would be interested to visit site Thanks MJH
Heres a link to the adelaide brits thread

Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Megalania
A Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) can expect to start on a scale that ranges from £18,105 to £26,460 (£21,522 to £30,000 in Inner London), whilst the starting salary for a teacher on Fast Track is a minimum of £18,984.

Public Sector Salaries: The Facts
It appears that UK teachers can earn better than OZ teachers

"The headmaster of a British school has taken the extraordinary step of flying to Australia to recruit teachers unsettled over pay and conditions.

He has so far snapped up 15 Australian teachers for eight high schools across the English Midlands.

Most can look forward to earning much more than in comparable posts in Australian schools, with classroom teachers in England earning up to £39,100 ($95,600). "

fromSMH sept 2003

They must teach the teachers here pretty well

Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

I much prefer life in Australia and the Australian way of life - simple as that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.