Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
would you like a jelly baby Mike? ... dont take the red ones though

To quote podgypossum:

So there you have it Vanishing Dragon...... another prime example of what you get when you make a positive thread
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:07 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by EssexNobby
Quality of life is a very difficult thing to measure, and it differs greatly from person to person.

For me it is :-

> being able to drive down to the nearest town centre and not getting stuck in a traffic jam evry single time I get in my car.
> not having to queue everywhere I go for every little thing that I want.
> not getting the feeling that the huge majority of my taxes are going to wasters who have no intention of becoming decent honest hard working people
> being able to walk down the street with my family without being sneered at or accosted by yobs
> being able to walk anywhere without having to step over endless piles of litter
> not having to feel like you are locking yourself in a fortress every night to keep the "bad world" outside
> having things to do available to you that are more than just "going to the boot sale", or "going to the pub", etc.
> being able toplan in advance and invite friends around for an evening meal and bbq without it p*ssing it down and ruining the whole evening
> buying something in a shop and not getting the feeling that you are yet another victim of "rip of Britain"
> being able to raise your kiddie, safe in the knowledge that they will have much more opportunites available to them than if they were stuck in the UK with no alternative

I'm sure that there's loads more but this wine is making me spend more time correctign my typos than is worth it !
You can tell you live in SE England!

So do I. The problem is that there are *way* too many people here, and the Herd Instinct means that they all want to shop/commute/eat out etc all at the same time. There simply isn't the space for us all to do that, now!

Here in Cambridge (which used to be a truly beautful city & a great place to live):

- we have frequent power outages because the local supply can't cope with the massive expansion of homes/businesses in the city
- you need to book 4-6 weeks in advance for a meal in a 'decent' restaurant
- it routinely takes 50-70 minutes to drive 5 miles at rush hour
- our train service (which used to get us to London reliably in 48 minutes) can now take anything between 1 hour and 2.5 hours (the latter more ofen at rush hour)
- to park the car for a day'sshopping in Cambridge costs nearly 30 GBP (oh, and you have a high chance of getting your car broken into/vandalised/peed over in the parking lot)
- the traffic lines for Tescos on Saturday often stretch 2-3 miles down the motorway (lines at the tills on busy Saturdays are generally 20-40 mins long)
- a tiny 1-bed flat starts at 120,000 GBP, with 2-up-2-down terraces costing 200K+ (so anyone earning less than about 40000K GBP/pa is effectively excluded from the local housing market - and has to live way out of town & spend time/money commuting in. This means that getting people for lower paid jobs - eg shop assistants - is well nigh impossible.)
- the crime rate & number of drug addicts sleeping rough & roaming the city (often violently harassing people for money) have both increased beyond all measure in the last 2 years.
- about 120,000 new homes are planned to be built in the region (I think by 2010?)
- the typical going rate for domestic cleaning services is 12-15/hour!!!

Anyone wanna buy my house, btw?

OK, I may have to put up with some/all of these things in Oz, but the fact is I'm sick *to my guts* of having to put up with them here!

As I've said many times about the issue of terrorism: these days, you are just as likely to get blown up by terrorists anywhere in the world, but if it's gonna happen anyway, why not let it happen somewhere new & different where the sun shines and eating out is cheaper? Same rules apply for where you choose to live....

Anya.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

btw...

Vanishing Dragon...i was gonna shorten your name to your initials when typing to you .......but thought better of it!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by anya4oz
You can tell you live in SE England!

So do I. The problem is that there are *way* too many people here, and the Herd Instinct means that they all want to shop/commute/eat out etc all at the same time. There simply isn't the space for us all to do that, now!

Here in Cambridge (which used to be a truly beautful city & a great place to live):

- we have frequent power outages because the local supply can't cope with the massive expansion of homes/businesses in the city
- you need to book 4-6 weeks in advance for a meal in a 'decent' restaurant
- it routinely takes 50-70 minutes to drive 5 miles at rush hour
- our train service (which used to get us to London reliably in 48 minutes) can now take anything between 1 hour and 2.5 hours (the latter more ofen at rush hour)
- to park the car for a day'sshopping in Cambridge costs nearly 30 GBP (oh, and you have a high chance of getting your car broken into/vandalised/peed over in the parking lot)
- the traffic lines for Tescos on Saturday often stretch 2-3 miles down the motorway (lines at the tills on busy Saturdays are generally 20-40 mins long)
- a tiny 1-bed flat starts at 120,000 GBP, with 2-up-2-down terraces costing 200K+ (so anyone earning less than about 40000K GBP/pa is effectively excluded from the local housing market - and has to live way out of town & spend time/money commuting in. This means that getting people for lower paid jobs - eg shop assistants - is well nigh impossible.)
- the crime rate & number of drug addicts sleeping rough & roaming the city (often violently harassing people for money) have both increased beyond all measure in the last 2 years.
- about 120,000 new homes are planned to be built in the region (I think by 2010?)
- the typical going rate for domestic cleaning services is 12-15/hour!!!

Anyone wanna buy my house, btw?

OK, I may have to put up with some/all of these things in Oz, but the fact is I'm sick *to my guts* of having to put up with them here!

As I've said many times about the issue of terrorism: these days, you are just as likely to get blown up by terrorists anywhere in the world, but if it's gonna happen anyway, why not let it happen somewhere new & different where the sun shines and eating out is cheaper? Same rules apply for where you choose to live....

Anya.
Serious question, if there are so many illegal/and legal immigrants why are people paying 15 quid an hour for a cleaning lady
Or why cant they get assistants in Tescos? That puzzled me in London too. Or do they get housed in the poorer areas?
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:32 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
Serious question, if there are so many illegal/and legal immigrants why are people paying 15 quid an hour for a cleaning lady
Or why cant they get assistants in Tescos? That puzzled me in London too. Or do they get housed in the poorer areas?
Dotty, I can never get to grips with that comundrum, either. I actually offered a begging girl some cleaning work (10/hour cash) last year, and I offered a begging guy with a dog the chance to come & dig my yard (same money).

I felt sorry for them, needed some work done, and wanted to help by going them the self-respect of earning money raher than begging for it. Both swore at me for my pains (and the girl spat at me, which I found quite upsetting), but could not tell me why my offer of work was so offensive to them.

The beggars here can do well - 150-200+ GBP on a good day, from the US & Japanese tourists, so I guess why bother digging my yard & having to *work* for it. Of course, I would like to think they were carefully saving their ill gotten gains in a high interest savings account, but I suspect it all goes on drugs Actually, it breaks my heart that people have to live like that.

The hourly rate for cleaners is partly due to the fact that they can't afford to live locally, so have to drive a long way to get to thier work (so have to run a car) and, if working in Central Camtrdge, pay high parking costs too.

Most of the assisants in our Tescos now are students doing shift work (I always chat with a nice checkout gal who's doing a PhD in disases of the brain). The biggest problem is getting staff to serve at the stores in Central Cambridge (M&S etc) due to the lnog commutes & high parking charges.

It's a well known problem here, & is why a good secretary prepared to work in central Cambridge gets paid 20-25K pa.

Anya.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anya, its not just Cambridge (as you probably realise) - my brother (with whom I have absolutely no contact now, thank goodness) used to sit outside Sainsburys in Bath begging. He had the dog on a bit of string - very thin dog, so people gave him lots of money and food for it. My dad said people often offered him odd jobs, and a couple of times he was offered "proper" jobs, but he did better outside Sainsburys, and then in the evenings outside the Bath theatres. Mainly US & Japanese tourists there again, and he used to regularly make £200 a day......and we are talking 6-7 years ago. Rent paid by the DSS, 2 mates also paying him rent for his spare room, dole money flowing in nicely as well.
And yes, most of the cash went on drugs.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:09 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

PP

I agree with you on many points and I also agree with Dotty. I have seen many people post pretty nasty comments about us in the "moving back to UK". I take offence as they know nothing about my circumstances. With that I like to think that I don't make easy assumptions and judgements on others who are deciding to move to OZ. Of course my comment about you not liking me was actually meant tongue in cheek. !! Not to offend I hope.!!

Each country has it's own problems and it does depend on where you live as to how it will affect you. My hubby being an Aussie was pretty negative about many things in the Uk but now he can't wait to get back. His reasons are also different from mine but at least it's what we BOTH WANT. Having a young family we both feel like we need more "family" support. We don't have that here. My hubby wants to travel Europe...etc etc...all very much what we want out of life at the moment. Says it all doesn't it.

I hope it all works out for you PP and so many others who are planning to come to OZ.Unhappiness...we have both had it for similar reasons it seems.Perhaps we could think of a plan to get rid of them eh !!Most likely start up another row with someone ?? honestly I didn't do it officer......lie lie!!!

I will keep Adelaide in mind for a visit...judging by your birthday pics I reckon we would get along just doodle dandy !!

Take care and stay happy..

Pants
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just returned from a validation trip in oz I found myself asking this same question to a lot of the poms that I met whilst there.

Some of the reactions I got were "Well if we wanted to go back to the UK we wouldn't be able to afford to go back" mainly referring to the boom in the housing market.
They would be giving up 4 bed,2 bath home(which seems to be the norm out there) for maybe a terraced or 3 bed property here in the UK.

Some people just gave me straight "No, no way would they return" and they wasn't even bothered about coming back for a holiday.

What I did find whilst talking to people was that they blamed the move to Oz for causing problems with their marriages and also for causing people to get very depressed (I was surprised at the number of people that were taking anti depressants) .

I was only there for 3 weeks but I was surprised at the number of different reactions that i heard.
I felt that a lot of people were there for their kids and were sticking it out for that reason and at the end of the day we all want was it best for our kids but I also wonder how much unhappiness this was causing to some of the parents and subsuequently what affect this could have on their relationships.
That is just my personal opinion.

Di
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 9:07 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by dibrucewillis

What I did find whilst talking to people was that they blamed the move to Oz for causing problems with their marriages and also for causing people to get very depressed (I was surprised at the number of people that were taking anti depressants) .

Di
Di, many interesting impressions there.

I do wonder about this whole business of endemic relationship breakups and depression. Maybe it is more because of the pressures of our Western-style societies, which, let's face it, is so focused around stress, long working hours, over-achieving and competitiveness, which does not leave much time for 'fun' any more. I guess many people think moving to Oz will 'fix' those problems, but I'm sure Oz has the same elements of Western materialism and loneliness that you get in the UK.

People I know in the US, Canada, NZ, Oz, UK, Germany, Holland, and France all complain about the pressures of life, and feeling stressed, miserable and depressed. They say that sometimes, it seems, everyone they know is splitting up with their partners. So it's not just the UK/Oz that has these problems!

I think the bottom line is that moving to Oz is NOT a fix for people's personal probelms - it is a very tough challenge and it's not for everyone. For some, it's the best thing they've ever done, for others it's a nightmare. Neither set of people is 'right' or 'wrong': where one chooses to settle is such a personal thing and there is no 'one size fits all' on this one.

I guess you have to really work at the move to Oz to make it work, like you have to work at your relationship. It's never gonna be easy!

Anya.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 9:28 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
Having just returned from a validation trip in oz I found myself asking this same question to a lot of the poms that I met whilst there.

Some of the reactions I got were "Well if we wanted to go back to the UK we wouldn't be able to afford to go back" mainly referring to the boom in the housing market.
They would be giving up 4 bed,2 bath home(which seems to be the norm out there) for maybe a terraced or 3 bed property here in the UK.

Some people just gave me straight "No, no way would they return" and they wasn't even bothered about coming back for a holiday.

I was only there for 3 weeks but I was surprised at the number of different reactions that i heard.
I felt that a lot of people were there for their kids and were sticking it out for that reason and at the end of the day we all want was it best for our kids but I also wonder how much unhappiness this was causing to some of the parents and subsuequently what affect this could have on their relationships.
That is just my personal opinion.

Di

Thanks Di

Personally because I have no family here of my own and my hubby's family have NEVER accepted me( he's an Aussie) I do feel that we have been put under an even bigger amount of pressure than normal. Family rows, isolation etc etc...Without going into details I think we have both felt the marriage could break due to this. I could stay here for my daughter but I would end up a very unhappy mother and to me it's not worth it. I want to be a happier wife and happier mother therefore back home amongst family and friends suits us fine. Maybe one day we will return who knows !!
The good thing is that with all this pressure we have worked through all the pooh and are closer now.
We feel we need to make that move back to the UK now whilst we can afford it and whilst we have not been away too long. I know others are not as fortunate. Our choice !!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

We feel we need to make that move back to the UK now whilst we can afford it and whilst we have not been away too long. I know others are not as fortunate. Our choice !!

I got the impression that some people are aware that their relationships are on the verge of the collapse (whether this be caused by the whole immigration process I am not sure) but I am sure that if these people could afford it they would make the move back to the UK to see if this would be the solution to solving their unhappiness and saving their marriages .

Di
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:41 am
Badge

I still abhor the double standards on this forum as both myself and PP have mentioned. (In this forum and others).

As for you Dotty mate, I think you are one of the most misunderstood people on this forum. There are many out to wind people up and many who genuinely resent their lives in Australia.

Originally posted by dotty
I am not negative I am realistic, I am honest I dont like to see people with such false hopes, such silly dreams on a place that does not exist
I can see you are a realist, and very much tongue in cheek - but I think some take your comments too seriously. And then get upset ;-)

They need to come here because they want the real OZ not a piece of fiction.
To an extent, disagree with this. Some people have a fairly good idea I think, sometimes you seem to label everyone as not knowing, as you launch in to the rose tinted yadda yadda at every opportunity.

I do live the total "dream" here evey piece of 'big' bullshit OZ can provide and frankly it means nothing, I would prefer a cup of coffee with my sister anyday. My family mean far more and I do think many people will find that out.

I have tried to give examples of how easy it is to do well here but they are taken as bragging
Dotty I sometimes feel you like Australia better than you let on - we all know you do 'OK', and now doing well in Australia has allowed you to be able to go and buy that huge house in the UK with a flat in London - how many UKers (or returnees) can do that?

Now I just enjoy being honest because I know damn well from hundreds of messages that most people just love it and appreciate it. I even get a laugh from some of my biggest non'fans who get here and take my advice to the dot. Or how they come back and give 'advice" that I gave them but they did not believe
Dotty you do OK, mate, but like others a tad condescending occasionally which is the only thing on this forum that gets to me - not just you, a general thing. We're all sick of the rose tinted accusation. Me personally, I like Australia, and fit in well. i remember you saying months ago that I would do well in Australia. At the time, I took it as a compliment, and thought ha-ha - approval. You probably have me sussed.

Cheers

;-)

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:52 am
Just Joined

oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Originally posted by VanishingDragon
Hello All!

There seems to be so many negative posts about Australia on this Forum and it seems difficult to find a post that praises it as a good migration destination and a prefered location for living than the UK!
I know from reading Mike Stantons post he lived in Oz for 12 years and came home.

But surely there must be at least one poster here that has moved to Australia and actually liked it and stayed there!?

The reason im asking is because it is one of the places for migration that im interested in and ive read one or two books on Miograting to Australia that make Australia out to be real good and have made me think that it is a safer place to raise kids and have a family with a laid back lifestyle than the UK.
Also all of the Australians I have gotten on with are nice people and seem much friendlier than us Brits!

Am I missing something?

Cheers!

We have been here less than a year ,but having travelled over a great deal of the worldwe feel that Australia is the best place we
have ever been to ! Every day is like a holiday to us - people are the friendliest you will meet anywhere - generous, helpful and rightfully proud of their country ! We would never wish to live anywhere else - no relatives or friends here (sorry , I should say we have loads of friends now -more than we ever had in U.K.)
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:29 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Well we love it here in Perth, so much so we bought a house today!! Hurrah.
and we dont even have our visa's yet
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

How did you manage that??... i thought you werent allowed to buy property until you had your PR visa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.