Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doctors & Dentist Experiences In Oz?

Doctors & Dentist Experiences In Oz?

Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

chrisp6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Doctors & Dentist Experiences In Oz?

Hi,
What difference have you found between Doctors and Dentists in Australia compared to those back in the Uk?(if any)
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Doctors & Dentist Experiences In Oz?

Originally Posted by chrisp6
Hi,
What difference have you found between Doctors and Dentists in Australia compared to those back in the Uk?(if any)
They seem happy to spend more time with you here. Probably as they are paid by the time they spend with you, a very different system to the UK (or at least as it was, to the way I remember it in the UK)

Some info on how the medical system here works is at Medical Info link

Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:01 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

and because they are happy to spend time with you.....don't expect your appointments to run to schedule. I've given up going on time, now I phone ahead and ask how late they are running....sometimes up to an hour.

The dentist is not as bad though - just expensive.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

my husband ended up at A&E with my son last night - he smashed his ankle on a door frame ( dont ask!! ) & the service was fantastic - he was seen immediately & they were home within 1/2 hr
i was so surprised :scared:
they had looked at it - given him painkillers & strapped it up & they were home again
didnt need to pay anything - just showed our tempory medicare card & that was it

hth

pootle26
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:34 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Dentists are more chatty here. The one I went to in Cleveland was all jokes and the nurse was ragging him about stuff. My dentist in the UK used to tell me what he was going to do to my teeth, the dentist here asked what I wanted done? Well I had a broken tooth, I thought it was blindingly obvious what I wanted done, but then he whips out a price list...

$2000 for a full crown, $1000 for a cheapo crown, or $100 just to stick a temporary cap on it.

It just felt a bit odd to be discussing with my dentist what should be done, and what I could afford. There was never any discussion in the UK, my dentist just said, this is what needs to be done... now open wide