Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you wake with the birds??..

Wikiposts

Do you wake with the birds??..

Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:42 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you wake with the birds??..

Originally Posted by johanne
LOL hows the house coming along? Chloe was half dead when she got back from yours..
Its coming good. She was knackered when she arrived! Please don't tell me she told you we'd worked her to death That honors saved for Bill and Mary. Bloody Perth lot have nabbed em from me this weekend

RE birds. I have a bottle brush tree outside my bedroom doors, a beautiful bunch of rosellas chirp away happily on there most mornings
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:52 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Never fear H I know sometimes you mistype and you actually meant

Originally Posted by hevs
He has one (a big knob i mean) OH god i'm so :scared:
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:15 pm
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

We live in Perth opposite a park, its not too bad in winter but in the summer at 5.00am...the noise!!!! The black crows are the worst, especially when they scamper across the colorbond roof with what sounds like hobnail boots on! Drives our cats crazy! There is usually a flock of Galahs (took ages to find out what they were) feeding in the grass in the park - they are quite funny, they have stumpy little legs and they quite often fall over when they walk! They like to hang upside down from the telephone wires and flap around trying to right themselves, they look permanently drunk! (maybe its something in the grass, I should get over there!!)

MC
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:06 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by HUP
lol

badge

Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Oh, silly me, of course thats what i meant
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

The galahs sound fun!!!

Hanging upside down on telephone wires, may be they're on too much eucalyptus!!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seabird
The galahs sound fun!!!

Hanging upside down on telephone wires, may be they're on too much eucalyptus!!
Other Cockatoos do similar things too.
We were in a place Tocumwal on the NSW/Vic border - where we saw - must have been - 500 Sulphur Crested Cockatoos in the trees - lots of them hanging upside down from the ends of the branches, spinning madly. It was great to see them - but can you imagine the racket !!!

Cas
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I found this site that lets you listen to australian bird noises:

http://www.anbg.gov.au/sounds/

Hope you like it. Australian magpies are actually mud larks and that's why they sound so different to the UK ones, or so I'm told anyway
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pako
I found this site that lets you listen to australian bird noises:

http://www.anbg.gov.au/sounds/

Hope you like it. Australian magpies are actually mud larks and that's why they sound so different to the UK ones, or so I'm told anyway
Thanks

Just loading it now...
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:54 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Diamond Lil
Have you heard a Butcher bird ? It sounds just like a thrush. Nothing much to look at but what comes out of it's throat is glorious to wake up to.
I used to listen to my Canary, unfortunately what went into the Butcher birds throat was my Canary's head that it ripped off and pulled out of the cage! Not a pretty sight to greet you in the morning! :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slater
I used to listen to my Canary, unfortunately what went into the Butcher birds throat was my Canary's head that it ripped off and pulled out of the cage! Not a pretty sight to greet you in the morning! :scared:
Did the culprit look like this, see below my daughter had the same problem ,with the little bugga,s..................... mm
Attached Thumbnails Do you wake with the birds??..-17759155_42545b5ce5.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:55 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mr mover
Did the culprit look like this, see below my daughter had the same problem ,with the little bugga,s..................... mm

yep, that's the bugga. Happened while I was back in blighty, my 11 year old daughter saw it happen, she was really upset.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:42 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
We wake up to Australian Ravens (they're bloody Crows but Mrs JTL has looked it up in her book and they are Australian Ravens apparently )
You're right, they're crows. Never heard of an Australian Raven. Its the Adelaide Crows right?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Anyway, Cawww Cawww Caww Caww Waaaooooowwwww,Cawww Cawww Caww Caww Waaaooooowwwww, Cawww Cawww Caww Caww Waaaooooowwwww.
I always thought they were saying Faaaaark, faaaark, faaaaaaaaaark. I hate the noisy buggers.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:48 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Seabird
Well, how different is the dawn chorus in Australia? We all think about the sight of all those birds, but what does it sound like??

Such a vast country must sound different depending where you live, and DEFINITELY different to the UK! So come on.. what's it like where you live? and what about noises from nocturnal animals, do you get much wildlife in cities?

What have you been woken up by? Can you ever sleep through a hoard of sulphur crested cockatoos (or sulfur if you're from the US)?

I had a dearly loved pet parakeet that used to wake me up in the morning... Admittedly sometimes it decided to let itself out of the cage and give me a good-morning kiss. I know I didn't have a partner and woke alone, but he wouldn't believe that I wasn't that desperate. No matter how many times I tried to convince him that the kiss would wait until I'd got up, he only understood the words "Good boy", "Helloh" and the wolf-whistle the kids had taught him. Luckily most of the mornings I had shut the cage more securely he just wanted to have a chat over breakfast!! Trouble was he invited most of the neighbours.

Chilli (the bird) now lives with a friend, outdoors with other birds in an avery with much friendlier neighbours than mine (one set had gone for earplugs for when I was at work). His new neighbours also like to get up early and talk to him!

Leaves me waiting in eager aniticipation of never again getting a lie in due to the wonderful chorus of all those exotic birds... Luckily I adore birds and can't wait. Just trying to see as many British ones as I can before I leave..

Look forward to your replies.

Claire
Hi Claire
As well as the crows/ravens screeching all day , each evening up to mid June we had to listen to some creature snoring, sort of sounded like aaaaaahhhhhh wwwooooooooo, aaaaaaahhhhhh wwwwwwwooooooo, it used to go on all night , must have gone into hybernation as we no longer here it , either that or someone shot it. Also we live near a lake and it must be mating season for the frogs/toads that live there as you would not believe how much noise they are making at the moment, sometimes all day and all night.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:55 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Well in Sydney we were woken up by.....sparrows!!! I was delighted to see them too.
Like many on here, sparrows are an English import (along with foxes, rabbits, etc. etc.....) and roundly hated by many. At one time they were using dynamite on the Nullabour to blow up their nests (I kid you not). Still made it to WA though the buggers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.