Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:49 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Thanks Sunchaser, could certainly do with the support at the moment. Things are getting very quiet down thier on the sea front with the rain and gales coming in.
We were just seeing the wood from the trees when Winter has arrived and the people have gone. Just hope we can get through it and still beable to pay wages and rents etc. The council are putting the alfresco dining up by 1000% yes you read right, one thousand percent.

Not feeling quit as positive as I usually am.
Oh hat ho off to work

Whisky

Whiskey - ophs Whisky! me being a bog arab and all that, I am not over that way but best of Celtic for the crappy winter months.

Cheers and even more cheers if you have cheap Baileys????

love
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi Sunchaser
We are in the northern suburbs in Hillarys.
I agree with dagboys quotes 100%, we came out and we had no money , no expectations, knew it was same shit here different bucket etc. We have found it hard at times, but its getting better. Still the same bloomin trouble no money, but hey cant have it all. Hey i had $26.50 on the lottery the weekend its a start
Joanne
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jopaulss
Hey i had $26.50 on the lottery the weekend its a start
Joanne
But how much was the original ticket ?

In the $23M draw my wife won $28, but it cost her $30 to get the tickets !! Still, she only lost $2, I suppose

Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Only regret in being here is not being able to see my first grandson, who was born last week.

Still, I expect to get over to the UK on business next month sometime, so I will get to see him then
Attached Thumbnails Do you regret having gone to Australia?-ben.jpg  
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Awwwwww how sweet, bet you cant wait to have a cuddle. My niece was born on xmas eve, as we have no plans to get back to the UK for a while he will no doubt be walking when i get to see him.
ABC i had a slik pik 12 $5.90 isnt it, not to bad. It could have had a few more noughts on the end though couldnt it
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jopaulss
ABC i had a slik pik 12 $5.90 isnt it, not to bad. It could have had a few more noughts on the end though couldnt it
You lost me with the jargon
I don't do the lotto etc., myself. My gambling money went into Premium Bonds, so I can get it all back later

Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:57 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Joanne,

We absolutely loved Hillarys and will definitely be buying in the northern suburbs. We fly out in 11 weeks TODAY !!!! Not that I'm counting or anything!

Great news at winning a few dollars on the lotto, well done!

Trying to stay calm with all these lists of things to do....
Sun Chaser
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
You lost me with the jargon
I don't do the lotto etc., myself. My gambling money went into Premium Bonds, so I can get it all back later
Good call.

Lottery = Tax on the Stupid
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby got his IT job through the Seek website, and he still receives regular updates, although he's not actively looking still. His salary is much more than we hoped for (not much different from the equivalent of what he earnt in UK pounds and it goes further here). When he started work 16 months ago, there were just 40 people in the company, it has now expanded to 120 and is still growing, they are so busy there at the moment and the boss has dropped hints about a promotion. He works in South Perth, so commuting from Mandurah is a bit of a pain, but will never be as bad as commuting on the M1/M25.

Whisky, we too are moving onto 5 acres, just on the edge of Mandurah at Stake Hill. I keep telling myself that there are heaps of families living on acreage who don't worry about spiders and snakes every day, and that we probably won't see anything to worry about............well I hope not! It will certainly be a whole new experience. The owners are leaving the chickens for us too; I haven't handled a chicken in my life (only the dead variety from the butcher's!). Not sure what our dogs will make of that, they eat raw chicken for their dinner, so first job on moving in will be to make sure the fencing around the chook pen is secure! There is a small orchard on the property, we noticed some lovely grapefruits growing but didn't see what else was growing there. I'd like to get hold of a proper cooking apple tree (Bramley's) so that I can grow some decent apples to turn into pies. One of these days when I venture into Rockingham for some shopping, I will call into your place for a coffee and drink, I promise.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Oops forgot to answer the original poster's question! So far no regrets at all. Yes we miss a few things, but all pretty trivial. We have gained other things so it all balances out. The outdoor life is good. We have made friends, no "best friends" as such, but these things all take time. Don't miss the family and friends back home half as much now as we did when we first arrived. Life here feels "normal" now. Have to really rack my brains to remember things from my old home town of Bedford, when someone mentions something in an email, I have to stop and think and try to remember the place/name/whatever they are talking about.

Next month will be our second anniversary of arriving here. Hubby went to the UK on a business trip in March and was glad to be back in Oz again. Landing at Heathrow the skies were grey and gloomy; landing at Perth the skies were blue with not a cloud in sight and the air felt so much fresher. I was worried that he may have had regrets about coming after seeing all his rellies again, but he reckons it just confirmed even more for him that he had done the right thing.

Our children miss everybody more than we thought, and would go back tomorrow given the chance. I wish we could afford regular holidays back home, just so they could keep in touch better. They do miss going round to Nanny and Grandad's house and I do feel a bit guilty about that; sleepovers at friends' houses are great but not the same. My sister is a 45 minute drive away from us and they enjoy seeing the auntie they previously never knew.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is funny that your kids miss England! Mine adore it out here and I would have to drag then home if we decided to leave.

We are really happy here and at the moment see ourselves as wanting to stay here forever. Our life in England does not even come close to our lives out here, and we were by no means struggling in the UK.

Long may it last!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hubby went to the UK on a business trip in March and was glad to be back in Oz again. Landing at Heathrow the skies were grey and gloomy; landing at Perth the skies were blue with not a cloud in sight and the air felt so much fresher. I was worried that he may have had regrets about coming after seeing all his rellies again, but he reckons it just confirmed even more for him that he had done the right thing.

My hubby came back from a trip to the UK last week and it confirmed to him that we had done the right thing as well. He is adament he will never go back there to live. Grey, gloomy, sad faces, traffic etc etc.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jaqui

Nice to read that you are buying a place in Stakehill. I have taken a few looks along that way, but wanting to have horses again, feel that the traffic on the roads are a little heavy around that way.
The spiders, I am not too worried about, but the snakes I know i would be terrified off. Always had a phobia about them.
So long as you keep the grass short and don't leave piles of wood etc about, it shouldn't be too bad.
People here do tell me that the snakes are attracted to the chickens and pens as they go after the eggs. But that is only what I have been told.
I know that when we kept them in the Uk it always attracted the rats and the mice, for the feed and the eggs.
I too would give anything for a decent Bramley Apple tree. If you find a place that sells them, please let me know, and i will do the same here. Really lacking in taste, the apples here for cooking.
You really don't have to come into Rockingham for a meet. I live in Mandurah, Halls Head. Could always meet you somewhere.

By the way, my daughter goes to the Pony Club at Baldivis, but will probably go to the Murray when we are settled in Pinjarra.

Best of luck with your move to your rural property.
Look forward to meeting you

Whisky
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by whisky
I too would give anything for a decent Bramley Apple tree. If you find a place that sells them, please let me know, and i will do the same here. Really lacking in taste, the apples here for cooking.
Bob Magnus, P. O. Woodbridge, 7162 Tasmania. Phone (03 ) 6267 4430
He sells Bramley Apple Trees, $19 not sure about delivery costs though

http://www.southcom.com.au/~annamari...alogue2003.pdf

Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Bob Magnus, P. O. Woodbridge, 7162 Tasmania. Phone (03 ) 6267 4430
He sells Bramley Apple Trees, $19 not sure about delivery costs though

http://www.southcom.com.au/~annamari...alogue2003.pdf
You may find that you cant get them anyway, some states do have quite strict quarantine laws especially in regards to fruit (Tasmania inwards is one of them). Not sure if apples or the trees themselves are affected/included, they may be fine, just something to be aware of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.