Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:07 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr DB you've hit the nail on the head for me with one of my biggest worries about Oz......

just don't know how I'm going to cope having to drink lager...... and more importantly not drinking proper bitter

VB is pretty good though - so I admit I'm easily pleased really.

Any other beverage recommendations that might placate me when we get there??

Marko
Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by phyonics
Mr DB you've hit the nail on the head for me with one of my biggest worries about Oz......

just don't know how I'm going to cope having to drink lager...... and more importantly not drinking proper bitter

VB is pretty good though - so I admit I'm easily pleased really.

Any other beverage recommendations that might placate me when we get there??

Marko
Marko
Depends where you are going.

Sydney used to have some good real ale pubs but last time I went one had converted to Keg
I believe there are some microbreweries around.
Fingers crossed

G
Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I've had a couple of twinges in the last 8 months but nothing that serious.

I love Perth but am very aware of it's short commings. Clothes are pretty crappy and enything half decent is expensive. There is choice but you have to pay for it.

I personally love the food we buy here. H reckons it's like I just discovered eating 'cos I was "picky in the UK". Couldn't be she's discovered cooking could it!!

The weather is obviously great. Early winter with shirt sleeves is a top combination. It rains but at lest it rains "properly" not that grey dampness for weeks on end. It does get dammed hot but only for a few days this year. And it does get cold in Winter. 15 may not sound that bad but it is if you were just getting used to 25-35.

IT jobs do exist but the pays not all that. It's still pretty liveable though. H is in medicine and earns more than I do.

Prices, well that's a downer. It's amazing how much stuff seems the same as UK prices which is great until you're earning AUD.

Housing. There's a a lot of talk regarding the McMansions. I'm building one so I can't talk. For us it's quite a novelty to find a block of land and then get a house design and customise it (don't go mad as all builders seem to charge cost + 20 % for alterations and that's being optimistic). The quality of our current place (new build for rent) is fine but fittings are pretty ropey. As i said it's a rental. All the internal walls are brick which definitely wasn't the case with some of the UK new builds I last looked at. Aussies have only just heard of insulation and the only "whole of home" heating I've seen is reverse cycle air con (average 10k AUD?)

The area is beautiful with a great coast line and some fantantastic National Parks. There has always been plenty for us and young 'un to do providing it' not hammering down which isn't often.

Bit of a ramble there but I'm knackered.

Go easy
Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:27 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

We're probably heading for Melbourne.

Just found one that looks interesting on the net......might put this in another thread to save hijacking this one any more

Marko
Old Jun 8th 2004, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We moved out in October 2003.
We have a restaurant in Rockingham and live in Mandurah at the moment.
We are just going through with trying to buy a 5 acre block out in Pinjarra.
We love it here and as yet, have no intention of going back to the UK.
The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a shock as far as the rain and winds. Didn't realise that rain could rain so hard, but like everything else, we will get used to it, and after all, we do live in Australia now, and why move if you want everything to be the same as the UK.

As others have said, its not eutopia, but sometimes it feels as though it is.

Whisky
Old Jun 8th 2004, 5:31 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Hello, me again... and thanks for your replies

Jo, we like the northern suburbs so will start house hunting in September when we get there. We've decided to go for an existing house although I'd love to have our own house built - but that can come later!!

Nick & Heather, whereabouts in Perth are you? Nick, I assume you're in IT?

Whiskey, if you can, let me know what your restaurant is called as we'll be doing some diving in Rockingham and I guess it's always nice to "know" someone in the area.
As for the rain, I know what you mean... we visited Margaret River in May and there where some SERIOUS storms. Roads were closed due to trees having been blown over etc. I'd not seen rain like that before - just solid sheets of the stuff!

Till later...
Sun chaser
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Originally posted by sunchaser

Nick & Heather, whereabouts in Perth are you? Nick, I assume you're in IT?

Sun chaser
We're in a subburb east of Perth about 35 mins drive from the CBD. We are just at the base of the hills area which is where we will build in the comming year.

I am in IT (although you wouldn't think it after todays efforts
) Jobs are limited but they do exist. I should get yourself a search set up on Seek IT partly so you can see whats about and partly so you can weed out the CV trawlers. Personally I'm at a University which doesn't pay too well but the job is interesting. Saw a fair bit of stuff coming through for Unisys West (joint cosulting team between Unisys and Bank West) but I haven't looked recently.

One thing I'd say about the "give anything a go" attitude to work. Very commendable an all that but most stuff out here seems to need experience or some form of licence.

Dammed cold here tonight!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunchaser,

Its Stones Throw and is right on Railway Terrace overlooking the sea.

Whisky
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:26 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi and thanks again for your views.

Joanne, where abouts in Perth are you, Northern or Southern suburbs? What do you guys do for a living and did you find it easy to get jobs?

Herman, I think having a job to go to in Oz is like winning the lottery. We've been able to move around with work before and it does take a load off the mind!

DagBoy, thanks for your tips. I think we are totally realistic and the only concern we have is jobs. We did some house hunting in May so are aware of property prices. As for the spreadsheets - no way, hate living in the "what if/should've/could've" mindset! I'm more live with it, learn and move on.

Michaela, thanks for your views too! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Have you found settling in easy?

Sun chaser
I really won the lottery as I was paid my London after tax salary for the entire duration of my secondment! Not only that, but I was promoted 6 months in by the Australians which meant those paying my salary back in London had to give me a £25k pa pay rise. I will probably never have so much disposable income again in my whole working life, and I was only aged 29 !! We're sensible though (well my wife is and I was forced to be!) and saved over 60% of our income for the 3 years. At the end of the secondment the Aussie firm offered me a permanent position, so we could have stayed, but I would have switched to local salary. I just couldn't work out how we could buy a nice home and start a family in Sydney on the salary on offer, which was a real issue. We would have been looking at a mortgage of 5 times my salary, even with a quarter of a million aussie dollars saved, to buy a reasonable house in a reasonable suburb within a sensible commute of work. I think if we had really wanted to stay we would have done it though, and made it work, but we wanted to return to London.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 6:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
Been here in Brisbane for 3 years and I have never for one moment had any regrets. I think it helps if your expectations are realistic and it also depends on the reasons for the move.

You see a lot on here who are moving or have moved to escape the crime and cost of living and drugs and poor education and failing health service that they perceive to be endemic to the UK. They get here and realise the same problems exist here and they are disappointed.

Or, you see people who think that by coming here they will get this utopian lifestyle and will be able to combine the equity from their UK property and the favourable exchange rate to settle here mortgage free with a bigger and better house, a pool, nice beaches etc. Unfortunately, that is a dream. Property costs as much here (with respect to salaries) and the big houses with pools by the beach tend to be more expensive than average (surprise!). They get here and find they will need a mortgage, they cannot live by the beach, they will not get a big house near to where they need to get a job to cover the mortgage etc. They end up disappointed (and every minor change in the exchange rate send them scurrying to their spreadsheets to work out how much richer or poorer they will be so they are generally stressed out too).

The people who seem to settle best are the ones who:
  • have very few preconceived ideas of what life will be like here
  • can accept the negative as well as the positive posts on here and read between the lines of the "bitter and twisted brigade" to get to the truth
  • realise that it is not better, not worse, just different
  • are in it for the adventure as much as for the "better life"
  • are not really close to family in the UK and so will suffer far less from homesickness (or people sickness)
  • realise it is "same shit, shinier bucket"
  • drink that girly poof juice (lager) already so won't miss real beer
  • do not give a toss about the English premier league

Just my thoughts

Cheers,

DagBoy

[edited for typos]
Excellent Post - bloody brilliant!

just past the two years living here in Sydney and agree with all your points.

We moved for adventure, we had a good life in the UK, previously spent 10 hours in Sydney on a holiday - so what did we know! We wanted to moved to Melbourne! Job opportunity dictated Sydney.

Can you ask the mod to put/fix your post up at the top for a few months/years.

We have less here in many respects....and so much more in others. Sod the spreadsheet, the whole thing is personal cost.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:31 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grayling
I wish people would stop reminding me about this

I will cry into my beer on the day we leave the UK

As will my hubby. He's into Real Ale!!!

Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

No regrets at all. I've travelled to more places than I could ever hope to visit on holiday; I've made more friends than I ever would staying put in the UK; I've experienced things in life that would have otherwise passed me by; and I've seen my sister more times in 18 months than I did in the previous 12 years....oh and we made a beautiful little daughter!!!

The reason for going to Oz was adventure - an opportunity to travel/live/work abroad.

Sure, there's been crap times...but there's been many good times. Life wasn't better in Oz, and it wasn't worse, just different. I love my life in the Uk and I loved my time in Oz for what it was. I don't think Australia is somewhere I want to be long-term....at least, not at this stage in my life.....we've had the adventure, now being close to family is what's priority cos of the new baby. Plus we do like what the UK has to offer.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:31 am

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in replying, still getting the hang of this site. There's just so much happening here and it all happens so quickly. The response is incredible. Threads just disappear as there's so many others coming in etc. This is becoming very addictive!!

Thanks Nick for the IT website. I do have that one on my list of "to check" amongst a bunch of others. Both hubby and I are in IT, we actually work together, (we met at work - nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more....!!) but our skill set is getting a bit old now. Anyway, I still check these sites every few days and who knows... something may come up.

Whisky, we'll definitely come support Stones Throw, it sounds fab! It would also be great to meet up with some new people.

Herman, you very lucky so and so!

Sandra, totally agreed who needs spreadsheets!!

Vicky, get that hubby of yours onto wine! The Ozzie wine is excellent! On our rekkie we went to Margaret River and I was really, really impressed.

Lastly, Hiddenpaw. Sounds like you had a good time and will be happy where ever you are. Good on yer girl !

Thanks again for reading my post and for taking the time to reply.
I'm ready for this adventure.... bring it on!
Sun Chaser
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Sunchaser, could certainly do with the support at the moment. Things are getting very quiet down thier on the sea front with the rain and gales coming in.
We were just seeing the wood from the trees when Winter has arrived and the people have gone. Just hope we can get through it and still beable to pay wages and rents etc. The council are putting the alfresco dining up by 1000% yes you read right, one thousand percent.

Not feeling quit as positive as I usually am.
Oh hat ho off to work

Whisky
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:19 am

Hi Whisky,

Gosh, 1000%!!!! That's a bit hectic to say the least!

Yes, I guess winter would be tough, but you gotta stay positive, things will turn round. When the sun comes out so will the punters!

At least all your hard work is for yourself.

Keep that chin up!
Sun Chaser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.