Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do you hate the rain??!!

do you hate the rain??!!

Old Jul 28th 2003, 8:54 pm
Badge

interesting comments

For what its worth, I read somewhere that say, if you were born in Aussie you were x (STACKS if I recall) times MORE likely to get skin cancer in older age - in fact older people routinely have minor cancers cut out it seems - one old boy made it sound like a dental appointment ;-)

they said if you moved to aussie say 30, by the time you were say 60- you would have significantly less chances etc...the 30 years would give you much more of a "chance"

of course still true to say that isolated incidents cause issues...I dread to think - got burnt say on my face 3 times probably at say aged 10, 22, and 30 - well I didn't peel - but it doesnt make me feel great....

the slip slap slop advert (debut 1982 - yes its been going 20 yrs!!) has worked as you look at aussie girls and they are amongst the most beautiful and healthiest in the world - they don't look any different from Europeans - yet look at their mothers and they look like old handbags..

Badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 28th 2003 at 9:00 pm.

Old Jul 28th 2003, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a load of twaddle written in this forum sometimes.

To say that melanin offers no protection from sunlight is ignorant in the extreme. Try telling that to an albino.

Basically if you are sensible in the sun then you will be OK. And being sensible means being prepared and not wrapping yourself up in cotton wool. If you believe all the hype then you would spend your whole life in a cave covered in SPF 50.

From my short time in Australia it seems to me that there is still a lot of education required. Go to a Gold Coast beach during the Christmas holidays and you will see loads of Australians exposing their super-white bodies to the sun for the first time in a year. It's quite a sickening sight because it includes kids too. These bodies have been wrapped in cotton wool for a year and now they've been let out. No matter how much SPF cream you are wearing, you are asking for trouble if you do this.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 11:45 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by etlniwd
There is a load of twaddle written in this forum sometimes.

To say that melanin offers no protection from sunlight is ignorant in the extreme. Try telling that to an albino.

Basically if you are sensible in the sun then you will be OK. And being sensible means being prepared and not wrapping yourself up in cotton wool. If you believe all the hype then you would spend your whole life in a cave covered in SPF 50.

Typical Aussie Summer close all blinds to keep out the heat keep plus stay out of the Sun , turn Air-Con on full blast at night and dream of Winter , great fun but shite.