Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you dread that day

Wikiposts

Do you dread that day

Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

This post really made me laugh - it means that everyone has a draw or a pot like that!!! )

No matter how hard I try, every time I empty them out they seem to get full again!!!

Debs
Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:30 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by h garrett
What is it with bloody socks, we have an old p.e bag full of odd ones, you find one pair, then stash 3 more odd ones into the bag!!!!
We seem to have more odd pairs than pairs!!! As far as the kitchen drawer thing goes tho.....we moved house 6 months ago, I put the contents of my 2 'misc drawers' into 3.....yes 3 carrier bags in the hope i would sort them when we had moved. Needless to say they're STILL sitting in my bedroom waiting to be done!! Since then I've started another misc kitchen drawer in my new house..........methinks I need help......anyone know the number for 'drawers full of crap anonymous'????
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Hi Hup,

You`ve made my day, along with every other junk collector, I have 2 very, very house proud friends, who just wouldn`t have bits and pieces anywhere, I feel so good I`m not on my own with stocking up the "one day it`ll come in handy" things. I too have the milk teeth and broken lunch boxes, amongst other things. It was only yesterday that hubby was looking for the suede brush for his boots, only to find it in a shoe box hidden under dozens of those silly netted bags that you put your soap powder tablets in, they were the only things in there! The silly thing is I obviously put them in there for that all important day of needing them (heavens knows what for), then promptly forgot about it, so if I had needed them I wouldn`t have remembered anyway, yes I have to confess we are a hoarding family and I have a head like a sieve!!! We have been clearing out our toot for so long now and we still have more, done 2 boot sales, given and chucked loads away, when will it end?

This thread has made me laugh soooo much!

Cheers guys!

Loraine
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Complete saddo confession...

I have my OWN milk teeth....

Agggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you dread that day

Originally posted by HUP
Its amazing as the time of our departure gets nearer and nearer how much we can't actually do yet due to

1) House hasn't completed
2) Can't book packers until that date etc.

But through all of this we are starting to close our lives down here, cancel credit cards, sort bank accounts, stop gym memberships etc etc etc.

But there is one job that we could have done at any time in our lives and still havn't. We will have to do it I know. Do you know what it is

SORT OUT ALL THOSE DRAWS AND SPURIOUS BLOODY JUGS\JARS WITH NOTHING BUT CRAP IN THEM

you know the ones. They have bits of string, old keys, batteries (Has it got any power in it), curtain hooks (generally that dont fit any type of curtain rail made this century), funny little plastic things that you havn't got a clue what they are but are damn certain that if you chuck it away you'll need it the next day.

We go to a new life and we will have none of these things, but how long before they start to reappear?
This post really made me laugh, i was on a weeks holiday not long ago and on a typical rainy day thought i'll tackle those drawers and jars with crap in, do you know i couldn't face throwing anything away (nope not even the 'old' batteries, 'dry' pens just in case they can in handy! FOR WHAT!!!! i may even print your post out and stick it next to the 'messy' cupboard to remind me to do it!!!
thanks for making me smile on an otherwise **** day!
rach
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you dread that day

well, that day came for us last saturday (20th sept)
alan worked right up to friday and had not really done any sorting inside the house. the garage and sheds had been done and the container went 16th august, so this is just the stuff we have been living with and wearing. final packing for travelling was quite harrowing, even though i must say mine was not too bad as i'd prepared for this though as an honorary hoarder of the finest it was hard not to take those nearly empty bottles of shampoo and the batteries and pens. anyway al had to be ruthless, he had my sister jollying him along, it is 2.30 and we were going at 3 to leave our house forever.
it turned out his cases were well underweight and he'd thrown away all but 3 pairs socks and about the same in briefs, all his white t shirts and only got one pair of shorts to wear!
blame it on the final leaving party the night before! so, a week in vegas, he wore the same clothes, we'd said not to buy anything till arrival in oz!
now in sydney and yesterday we spent a small fortune in lowes in george st!
(just realised i need to change my location by my name)
karen xx
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So tell me Karen, is it possible to survive without being surrounded by old batteries, dried up pens, nearly empty bottles, and that broken fork I have just discovered! Is there life after junk?! Give us hope!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:02 am
Badge

Originally posted by Larissa
Complete saddo confession...

I have my OWN milk teeth....

Agggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!
Larissa - I thought they were all supposed to fall out by age 12??

badge

Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Larissa - I thought they were all supposed to fall out by age 12??

badge

hehehehe
They're in a box of saddo trinkets and junk in the loft!!!!
By the way, my super tidy neighbour has kept her two kids umbilical cord stumps (complete with clips).... looks like she needed to hoard something!!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Larissa

Originally posted by Larissa
hehehehe
They're in a box of saddo trinkets and junk in the loft!!!!
By the way, my super tidy neighbour has kept her two kids umbilical cord stumps (complete with clips).... looks like she needed to hoard something!!!
Ha Ha
i still have the clips of my daughters but not with anything attached to them! yuk!
rach
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

hi pollyanna, yes! feel very cleansed but there are things i am kicking myself for. i was completely paranoid about luggage being overweight and ended up sending loads of paperwork in a parcel to my brother's here in sydney to save carrying it. (this actually cost 68 pounds, not told hubby!) as it happened we had loads of kg's to spare coming the us route and the stuff in the parcel was needed immediately we arrived. i'm tearing my hair out now as i pared it down so drastically and with the last minute rush to leave last week we don't appear to have any documentation regarding car insurance no claims bonus. hubby doing his fruit as we are not sure of the old policy no's or even the co.! i know the broker but it will take some delving. the other stupid thing i've done is give people the wrong address here - house no. 204 instead of 104, it doesn't exist!! no claims proof was supposed to also be sent here so i have a job on my hands!
so just trying to calm down, we are supposed to be picking up new car thurs, but must have passed the computer test first so we thought we had three months to do it! just another hiccup!!!!! aaaaagh
karen xx
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh Karen, all sounds like the chaos I'm expecting to experience! Hope you get the car and address thing sorted - can Aus Post help - difficult to redirct from an address thats not there, but worth a try! Good luck with it all anyway!

Now the fruits of tonights packing are: 5 pink padded coathangers (!!), five half-burnt incense sticks behind the bookshelves, 3 of those cables to link the TV aerial up, 2 old Lypsyls, and a fluorscent yellow jacket saying "Aircrew" on the back! Anyone beat that one...?!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:34 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default More crap

It is pleasing to see that we are not the only household with mini junk collection

There are other areas where are household has buildups. It focuses around DIY and hair products. DIY is down to both of us, when doing a job we buy the necessary and as usual you never use everything up so you put it somewhere safe so that you can use it again on th enext job. Of course when the next job comes round one of two things happen

1) You can't find it and after trawling the whole house you eventually give up and go and buy more
2) You completely forget about it and go and buy some more

The end result in both of these instances is that the hidden/forgotten article then presents itself to you the next day.

The beauty products is down to Hev. We seem to have upteen bottles of shampoo with various specialities. It seems Mrs G cannot bring herself to finishing a bottle before starting her next one. The clearing of the bathroom toiletries and mediciine cabinet will be quite a hefty chore!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:57 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

I have started the dreaded sorting out and I am going to leave the junk drawers (3 of them in the Kitchen) till last as it may take me a long time to decide if I will need that item when I get to Sydney.

Anyway I have already sorted out Dave's stuff (as he is already over there) and guess what I found....my old passport, that he told me I must have lost, in his wardrobe in a carrier bag of his junk!! Wait till I see him!!!

Good luck to all other "Collectors" when clearing out, we must remember that this is a new begining and we can start a new drawer once we get over there!

Kim
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:36 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great thread. So much junk was thrown out before our packers came. Some if the strange stuff that got packed was:

- Gum shield from my kickboxing days
- Empty ring binder folders 10 years old but never used
- Pads of paper
- Maps of Europe and UK (well you never know)
- Birthday, Valentine and Xmas cards for god know how many years
- Keys for locks long forgotten
- Locks with no keys
- Old membership and ID cards now out of date and useless

HUP - I can relate to the bathroom cabinet thing. Having thrown out everything that was either leaking or nearly empty we still have a whole boxful of toiletries which have never been touched which must be used up before we go or they will go to waste.

Nearly everything out of the kitchen junk drawer got thrown out, except 2 balls of string, which were packed, and subsequently needed of course!

Note to all still packing - keep the string, bin the batteries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.