Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we want neighbours?

Do we want neighbours?

Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we want neighbours?

We have a good neighborhood community and have street parties, dog sit and heck I even went on holiday a week ago with some of them. But we did in the UK. Being in a different country does not magic up friendships. You get what you give.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
Never lived in a village....what sort of things would they gossip about ?
You name it, it would be gossiped about & turned in to a bad game of chinese whispers. It was one of those places where if you spoke to anyone of the opposite sex you were instantly having an affair with them. The sad thing is that people never actually noticed what really went on. Apparently my abusive ex was an ok guy & didn't deserve to have me walk out on him. Even the vicars wife questioned me about it several (well 10 actually) years later.

Alison x
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:01 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Important Duck News ... new home found in Underwood.

<Bulletin Ends>
Thank Duck for that
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Thank Duck for that
We had a fun night with Mr Duck but in the end it's better with some ducky friends.

Have to duck off now ...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:50 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

We have great neighbors. I have been doing a massive reno over the last couple of years and have got to know everyone in the street because they have all been round having a sticky beak.
I think that's been the icebreaker.
Where I previously lived which is a few suburbs away,I knew 3 neighbors,here it's 18.

During the school holidays my son(14) has got to know a friend of mine who lives at the end of the road, 6 doors down.
His name is Eddie(64) he has a great veggie garden,chooks and rabbits that he's "growing for the pot".

Everyday last week my son went down to eddies with a bag of nettles for the rabbits and returned with a freshly baked apricot pie made by Eddie's 89 year old mum.
Yesterday he took a bag of plums from our tree and came back with a dozen eggs.

One day he came home with pie in hand and a big smile on his face and said"I feel like Eddie and his mum think I'm their grandson,they love it when I go round to see them".I felt so happy for him.
My wife and I are so pleased he's forming a relationship with this family.
We had lost both our parents by the time our children were born so they have never known any family.

A footnote.In case you might think that we're in the country.We are 10 mins from the cbd.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and I have found the opposite
god me too!!!!!!!!!!, it was definately one of the things i missed the most, was my fantastic, lovely , funny , neighbours in scotland and thier children. The children of these neighbours are the friends that my daughters are still in contact with, most of their school friends are now distant memories.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
My neighbours are free to a good home if anyone wants them Mx
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
god me too!!!!!!!!!!, it was definately one of the things i missed the most, was my fantastic, lovely , funny , neighbours in scotland and thier children. The children of these neighbours are the friends that my daughters are still in contact with, most of their school friends are now distant memories.
Based on G's experiences, it doesn't take a rocket scientist that people from rural areas or small villages with strong ties are not that impressed with Australian suburbs (unless their UK experiences were marred). Wouldn't you agree?

This does not mean of course that other people have not had good experiences or are happy in the same.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 18th 2011 at 3:21 am.