Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we want neighbours?

Do we want neighbours?

Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Do we want neighbours?

Even though Aussies invented the telly show, are we really a neighbourly nation? Do Australians like to be a part of their neighbours' lives or do we cringe at such an idea, preferring to remain stand-offish?

Melbournite Andrew Heslop organised Neighbour Day and hopes we will be community-minded enough to knock on the door of our neighbours -- especially the elderly who live alone -- and introduce ourselves.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/lifestyle/re...hbour_day.html

Is it so?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we want neighbours?

Originally Posted by deb68
Even though Aussies invented the telly show, are we really a neighbourly nation? Do Australians like to be a part of their neighbours' lives or do we cringe at such an idea, preferring to remain stand-offish?

Melbournite Andrew Heslop organised Neighbour Day and hopes we will be community-minded enough to knock on the door of our neighbours -- especially the elderly who live alone -- and introduce ourselves.

Is it so?
I reckon people here (and I can only speak for my area) are considerably more neighbourly than the very similar area I used to live in in the UK.

Yesterday I walked down to the local shops. It's only one block, yet on the way I exchanged greetings with no less than 5 of my neighbours. In the UK I'm not sure I knew 5 of my neighbours.

BB
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Thats really nice to hear.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:15 pm
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

i agreed a lot of people say HI... but that dosnt really mean you know them in the UK i knew all my neighbours well .... now if you lived rural (OZ) they would say HI offer you a coffee and lift to the shop you soon become friends with people like that..

km
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68

Is it so?
Plenty of neighbourly stuff here ... we horse-sit, dog walk, help out with yardwork, general popping around for a chat.

Yesterday our neighbour helped us rescue a lost baby duckling <cute section ends>. Currently trying to find it a home ...

Some people keep themselves to themselves and that is fine too.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I reckon people here (and I can only speak for my area) are considerably more neighbourly than the very similar area I used to live in in the UK.
....and I have found the opposite
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:54 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Important Duck News ... new home found in Underwood.

<Bulletin Ends>
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:10 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and I have found the opposite
Of course you would have...........MM
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK the avenue i lived on would occaisionaly get together and have avenue party, we had a quiz team for the pub and some became our best friends. Here people say the odd hello but thats about it.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by verystormy
In the UK the avenue i lived on would occaisionaly get together and have avenue party, we had a quiz team for the pub and some became our best friends. Here people say the odd hello but thats about it.
My neighbours are free to a good home if anyone wants them Mx
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

I've said hi to the people on one side of us & watched through the curtains the other night as someone got arrested on the driveway opposite but that's it here so far.

We weren't much different in the last couple of houses we lived in in the UK, knew the next door neighbours either side to say hello to & exchange Christmas cards. Although the house prior to that we knew a lot of the neighbours quite well but that may have been more to do with hubby living there for so long.

I did live in a village in the UK for some years & couldn't wait to get out as the 'neighbourly' thing was almost claustrophobic. Great at times, especially with young kids but you couldn't sneeze without it starting gossip around the place.

Alison x
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n

I did live in a village in the UK for some years & couldn't wait to get out as the 'neighbourly' thing was almost claustrophobic. Great at times, especially with young kids but you couldn't sneeze without it starting gossip around the place.

Alison x
Never lived in a village....what sort of things would they gossip about ?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I like my neighbours, we are very lucky where we live - it is ten times better here for us neighbour wise. I wouldnt swap it for anything.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
My neighbours are free to a good home if anyone wants them Mx
Our neighbours would probably LOVE to swap with you... We're the pommie trash in a well to do australian enclave...

actually they're really nice...

But I do miss bumping into people I've known for thirty odd years when I pop to the shops... But that will. Come with time
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eddie007
Our neighbours would probably LOVE to swap with you... We're the pommie trash in a well to do australian enclave...

actually they're really nice...

But I do miss bumping into people I've known for thirty odd years when I pop to the shops... But that will. Come with time
I know what you mean. I miss bumping into people I haven't seen for a while and catching up on all the gossip.

I don't think neighbourliness is or is not an Australian thing more a people thing. The last street we lived in they were all very polite and neighbourly, but it was so quiet and to be honest felt a bit like living in a goldfish bowl. We have been in this house 10 months and have had 10 lots of neighbours in 3 different houses - haven't really had the chance to get to know any of them that much. And let's just say we see a lot more of life down here than we did in the other place. The ones we have at the back of us at the minute, well let's just say both him and her have a very restricted vocabulary and must both be deaf becuase they need to shout all the time

Mx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.