Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we qualify under family category?

Do we qualify under family category?

Old Jan 14th 2003, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

parky43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we qualify under family category?

Please could anyone let me know if we qualify under the family category to NZ. My wife as a sister who as lived in NZ for the past 17 years and if so, how long can we expect to wait for the process of immigration to go through?
Many thanks
Old Jan 14th 2003, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we qualify under family category?

Originally posted by parky43
Please could anyone let me know if we qualify under the family category to NZ. My wife as a sister who as lived in NZ for the past 17 years and if so, how long can we expect to wait for the process of immigration to go through?
Many thanks
Hi there,

There are many factors involved, check out nz immigration site for more info, but if it's anything like oz it could be 2 years ...

cheers

Last edited by scoobydooathome; Jan 14th 2003 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2003, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly - under the provisions of the Family Category:

Sibling or Adult Child

You may be granted residence under this policy if you have a New Zealand citizen or resident parent, brother or sister who is living in New Zealand and who sponsors your application, and

you have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which you are living lawfully and permanently; and
you have an acceptable offer of employment in New Zealand.
In addition, you must meet health and character requirements.

If you are ineligible under this policy, there is also a Family Quota Category - which allows NZ'ers to sponsor family members who cannot get PR through any other route. Your wife's sister has to register her intention to sponsor you with NZIS within the registration period (last year it was April). A certain number of applications are then 'randomly selected' & the successful ones invited to apply for PR.

Let us know how you get on if you do apply under the family category - I'm hoping to sponsor my parents should they decide they want to move to NZ.

All the best,
Russ

www.immigration.govt.nz/migration/family.html
Old Jan 15th 2003, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Parky is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your advice. I am right in saying although my wifes sister as lived in NZ for the past 17 years, we would not qualify if my wifes parents are still based in the uk with us at present.

I have also been told it may be possible under to qualify under a long term business visa (LBTV) as i have run my own company for the past 12 years. Either way which is the best option for speed to process an application?

Kind regards
Dean