Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we or don't we ??

Do we or don't we ??

Old Aug 26th 2006, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough
Default Do we or don't we ??

Hi guys, it has taken me ages to post this message, please no-one give me stick for it!

Well here is our story! We Started applying for our 136 skilled visa 2.5 years ago, full of excitement, it was a long process but we gained our visa on 7th July 2005 (we got the call about 1.5 hours before the bombs went off in London!, so that put the dampners on it straight away), my partner Stewart is a carpenter, we have 3 children aged 7, 4 and 2. We validated our visa's In March with a trip to the Sunshine Coast where we have friends and would potentially live (Mountain Creek Zone). All sound ok so far?? Well we can't make our minds up what to do, stay or go, its literally giving me sleepless nights!!

We loved Australia, the beautiful scenery, beaches, sunshine etc. etc. Its the usual things that are holding me back, my friends, whom I love dearly, my home, which we have turned from a shitty council house into a lovely family home with large extension, the girls school, etc. the usual things, funnily enough its not even the family thing, I have had lots of problems with my family over the years, but we have lost both mum's, if she was here I wouldn't have even considered emigrating, some out there would give me severe stick for this, thats its just materialistic things and these can be replaced. Stu is worried about the financial aspects, houses have gone up quite a bit in QLD, he doesn't want to have to move to Oz and have to work his nuts off and can't enjoy what we've worked for, wages seem quite low in respect of cost of living, I found the supermarkets really expensive. I know the kids would love the outdoor life, perhaps we are being selfish and should start thinking more of them.

Sorry to ramble, sometimes I just wish someone could make the decision for us. I know we need to at least try it, rent the house out and go and give it a go, then at least we could say we tried it rather than kick ourselves 10 years down the line when the visa has long run out, I think at the end of the day we are just simply scared.

I should mention that since we applied we have had loads of bereavements and I mean loads, Mum's, relatives, friends, the list goes on, we had a really shit couple of years, I wonder if that has affected how we are feeling??

Anyhow I just wanted to come on here and talk to you guys, I know you can't help us decide, thats down to us.

Sally & family x
Old Aug 26th 2006, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we or don't we ??

Originally Posted by pukka pom
Hi guys, it has taken me ages to post this message, please no-one give me stick for it!

Well here is our story! We Started applying for our 136 skilled visa 2.5 years ago, full of excitement, it was a long process but we gained our visa on 7th July 2005 (we got the call about 1.5 hours before the bombs went off in London!, so that put the dampners on it straight away), my partner Stewart is a carpenter, we have 3 children aged 7, 4 and 2. We validated our visa's In March with a trip to the Sunshine Coast where we have friends and would potentially live (Mountain Creek Zone). All sound ok so far?? Well we can't make our minds up what to do, stay or go, its literally giving me sleepless nights!!

We loved Australia, the beautiful scenery, beaches, sunshine etc. etc. Its the usual things that are holding me back, my friends, whom I love dearly, my home, which we have turned from a shitty council house into a lovely family home with large extension, the girls school, etc. the usual things, funnily enough its not even the family thing, I have had lots of problems with my family over the years, but we have lost both mum's, if she was here I wouldn't have even considered emigrating, some out there would give me severe stick for this, thats its just materialistic things and these can be replaced. Stu is worried about the financial aspects, houses have gone up quite a bit in QLD, he doesn't want to have to move to Oz and have to work his nuts off and can't enjoy what we've worked for, wages seem quite low in respect of cost of living, I found the supermarkets really expensive. I know the kids would love the outdoor life, perhaps we are being selfish and should start thinking more of them.

Sorry to ramble, sometimes I just wish someone could make the decision for us. I know we need to at least try it, rent the house out and go and give it a go, then at least we could say we tried it rather than kick ourselves 10 years down the line when the visa has long run out, I think at the end of the day we are just simply scared.

I should mention that since we applied we have had loads of bereavements and I mean loads, Mum's, relatives, friends, the list goes on, we had a really shit couple of years, I wonder if that has affected how we are feeling??

Anyhow I just wanted to come on here and talk to you guys, I know you can't help us decide, thats down to us.

Sally & family x
It sounds to me that you are feeling just like most people feel at one point or another during all this. It's quite normal to have doubts or second thoughts.

For us it's been the best thing I ever did. I've only been here 6 weeks, but I can't imagine being anywhere else.

You are right though only you can decide at the end of the day, so good luck with whatever you do.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:00 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sally & family x

Often go through the same thing myself. I have built up a good career and am at the stage of earning some actual cash! We worry about the high cost of housing and living too but are still going ahead. I think most of the people on these forums are pretty sensible and consider if it is the right thing for them and their family. It works out for the majority but some still come home. In the end you have to wonder what your future would be like in the UK if you stayed and whether after a year of two the move to Oz would pay off. Unfortunately, only you can make the decision.

There are some really good people of these forums, read a few posts, decide on who sounds reasonable and is over there and then PM them for a private chat. Might just help.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Given everything you've said, I'd do this.

1) Put your good furniture in storage.
2) Rent your house out.
3) Ship the essentials out to Oz
4) Tell relatives and friends that you're taking a year out to try Australia and that if you like it/if your husband gets a good job/if the kids love the place, you might stay longer
5) Come out to Queensland for a year
6) Rent a house for a year

My reasoning is this: you have perfectly understandable misgivings - by putting a nominal year's limit on it you can test the waters over a reasonable period of time without having the pressure of 'making it work'. If it doesn't work out, you can return to the UK and your old house having had a grand adventure. One year out for your children, at their ages, is unlikely to have a detrimental effect on their UK schooling. 'What if?' - really is one of the worst feelings - so why not try 'What have we got to lose?' instead? Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:19 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad couple of years. You've answered your own questions really about coming over. If you leave it and the visa runs out then you will kick yourselves. As said previously come over for a year and give it a go. It will either work for you or it won't. Bear in mind though that it can take a year before you really feel settled and get sorted financially. Good luck with your decision.

Lorraine
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Its a bit of a tough one, but only you can make that final decision!!

We earn less here in WA, but our kids are a lot happier, healthier, and have achieved a lot more than they would have done back home. It does a while to settle, make new friends and find work that suits you.

It takes a lot of hard work, and there will be times when you will feel very lonely. It has taken us 2 years to get settled. The first few months are just 'holiday ' periods, and it all seems so unreal and fantastic! As other posters have said, try it for a year or so, and that way you can always return to the UK if you feel it isnt for you.

Good luck with whatever you do!!! xx
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Sally & family x

Really sorry to hear of your losses. Something I was told by so many people when I asked the question about financial position is that albeit the salaries are considerably lower, nobody feels too bothered about it when they are out there due to the other benefits. The fact the kids can go out and about after school and at weekends, take up outdoor activities is great both from you getting time to yourself and for their own entertainment (so not strictly unselfish).

If you don't try, you will always wonder and as you said...you can rent the house out for a year and just give it a whirl...worst thing is you will have experienced it and have given the kids real experience too which will benefit them no end in their own personal growth.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much for all your great replies, I should have written sooner, some good advice given, just really wanted a shoulder to air my feelings, already I feel more positive about the move!! I will keep you posted.

Sallyx
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:44 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks so much for all your great replies, I should have written sooner, some good advice given, just really wanted a shoulder to air my feelings, already I feel more positive about the move!! I will keep you posted.

Sallyx
Best of luck with it all Sally, sounds like you could do with a good break.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice
Red face Re: Do we or don't we ??

Sally & family x
Hi Sally

I have been to Oz so its an easy decision for me, I can pretty much get the same money there as here, but my OH has never been has put his career on hold and has deliberated for some time. He decided to go purely because (in his words):

I would rather die saying I tried and either failed or didnt enjoy it, than die knowing I never even tried.

I think for your kids its important, because you are giving them the experience and a choice further down the line. To me my kids know there Mum as someone who always tries, and teaches them to believe they can do something if they try. Sometimes you fail but its all a lesson in life.

You don't know unless you try

Thats my thoughts Good luck with whichever route you take

Jossy
Old Aug 26th 2006, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Sally & family x
Dear Sally,
No wonder you're in a dither given everything that's been going on. We're creatures of comfort and need our security, and when we've had a number of losses in our lives it's natural to try and dig the heels in and hold on to everything that's familiar in order to ground us again.

The above advice is sound I think - if you don't give it a go you'll always wonder what might have been - and I don't think there can be anything worse. Sometimes we get one chance at things and it takes holding our nose and jumping off the deep end to seize that chance - but I think it'll be worth it either way!

Best of luck!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jossy
Hi Sally

I have been to Oz so its an easy decision for me, I can pretty much get the same money there as here, but my OH has never been has put his career on hold and has deliberated for some time. He decided to go purely because (in his words):

I would rather die saying I tried and either failed or didnt enjoy it, than die knowing I never even tried.

I think for your kids its important, because you are giving them the experience and a choice further down the line. To me my kids know there Mum as someone who always tries, and teaches them to believe they can do something if they try. Sometimes you fail but its all a lesson in life.

You don't know unless you try

Thats my thoughts Good luck with whichever route you take

Jossy

I think as most of you say it is the one thing that permanently nags me - if we don't try it we will regret it and it will haunt me forever!!

And yes we would be giving the kids a choice, its something a friend has pointed out who is already there and is a bit shakey, after 2 years once you have residency, the children will have joint residency for life, a real gift I think.

Thanks again to everyone xx
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:14 am
Welsh Dragon

civic is on a distinguished road

I would say to go ahead with the move, so you do not regret in later years.
We have been here since May and are returning to the UK om the 31st August. People have questioned if we tried hard enough and how much it has cost. But you can only try for so long, homesickness and frustration with Australian bureaucracy regarding employment can wear you down.
We came for a better life, (after both giving up well paid jobs) but the cost of living has risen far quicker than the rise in wages since we came over in 2003.
If your husband is a carpenter with City and Guilds qualifications I would recommend that he contacts Queensland licencing before coming, so that he knows which licence he will need to work and if they will recognise his qualifications, as different states require different licences, and some states recognise qualifications but others do not. From personal experience it has been very frustrating trying to obtain a licence, I have over 24 years experience as a plumber, with City and Guild qualifications,to advanced level and a Diploma in Building Management, but Queensland licencing do not recognise my qualifications and insist I go back to college (TAFE) before they issue me with a "provisional licence". But having applied for endless jobs only to be told by prospective employers I am over qualified, then to be told that the Licencing authority do not recognise my qualifications.
We will return to the UK, (as my wife was approached by her old company and offered her job back and I will set up my own business) but we do not have any regrets about coming over here, nor will we regret moving back to the UK.
It's better to try it and decide for yourself, than to not try and keep wondering about what might have been. It was not for us, but might be for you.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civic
I would say to go ahead with the move, so you do not regret in later years.
We have been here since May and are returning to the UK om the 31st August. People have questioned if we tried hard enough and how much it has cost. But you can only try for so long, homesickness and frustration with Australian bureaucracy regarding employment can wear you down.
We came for a better life, (after both giving up well paid jobs) but the cost of living has risen far quicker than the rise in wages since we came over in 2003.
If your husband is a carpenter with City and Guilds qualifications I would recommend that he contacts Queensland licencing before coming, so that he knows which licence he will need to work and if they will recognise his qualifications, as different states require different licences, and some states recognise qualifications but others do not. From personal experience it has been very frustrating trying to obtain a licence, I have over 24 years experience as a plumber, with City and Guild qualifications,to advanced level and a Diploma in Building Management, but Queensland licencing do not recognise my qualifications and insist I go back to college (TAFE) before they issue me with a "provisional licence". But having applied for endless jobs only to be told by prospective employers I am over qualified, then to be told that the Licencing authority do not recognise my qualifications.
We will return to the UK, (as my wife was approached by her old company and offered her job back and I will set up my own business) but we do not have any regrets about coming over here, nor will we regret moving back to the UK.
It's better to try it and decide for yourself, than to not try and keep wondering about what might have been. It was not for us, but might be for you.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!
Hi Civic, can I ask if you have any children? and why did you choose Buderim, thats where we have two sets of friends and would hope to move into the same area so our kids can attend Mountain Creek School as it has a great reputation. Thanks for the info on Licenses, Stu does have City & Guilds in Carpentry & Joinery and I have heard about problems with licensing. Where will you be returning to in the U.K.?

Thanks for your message and good luck with the move back to the U.K.

Sallyx