Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do people form an impression of you based on your suburb?

Do people form an impression of you based on your suburb?

Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:54 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people form an impression of you based on your suburb?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Guilty as charged

Never claimed otherwise
Better to be honest about it, I'll give you that!

I may have uttered a few disparaging words about Legoland Estates and Sanctuary Cove myself ... 'may have' as in 'definitely'.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:05 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

What do you guys mean by snobbery? Are you sure that you haven't just heard people discuss plans for themselves and children, or felt a little overwhelmed in a large city?

I sometimes wonder if the people who have been the victim or witness to snobbery are just a bit sheltered?
In answer to the first question, I had a good think about it and looked up lots of definitions of snobbery and found the one the best matches my idea of what a snob is .... "A snob is someone who believes that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ancestry, taste, beauty, nationality, et cetera. Often, the form of snobbery reflects the snob's personal attributes. For example, a common snobbery of the affluent is the belief that wealth is either the cause or result of superiority, or both."

In answer to question 2. Absolutely not on both counts. It tends to start as a veiled attempt at describing their own desires for themselves and their families but they always slip up with the usual put downs on others' circumstances and choices. Hey, you don't even have to be in Melbourne to witness the snobbery I talk about. Just spend a little time on BE and it's all there in black and white.

And for that final comment. Sheltered? Are you serious???????
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:08 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Better to be honest about it, I'll give you that!

I may have uttered a few disparaging words about Legoland Estates and Sanctuary Cove myself ... 'may have' as in 'definitely'.
I just don't get why you're proud of that??? Who cares where someone lives? Seriously! Let's just live and let live people and be thankful for what we each have.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Let's just live and let live people and be thankful for what we each have.
Where's the fun in that?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get why you're proud of that??? Who cares where someone lives? Seriously! Let's just live and let live people and be thankful for what we each have.
Lighten up, I'm not proud of it, I was honestly saying that in the past I have been guilty of such things.

If you read my previous recent posts on this subject (I know, nobody has time to read the context anymore...) then you will see I am advocating exactly the attitude of 'live and let live'.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I will never forget that ding dong you had with that kiwi bloke about Melbourne. He was such an arse to you.

As for caring where someone lives, I don't. There are some newer suburbs here in Perth that are truly horrible from an aesthetic point of view. There is one area where you drive down a hill and all you see is a sea of tin roofs. Not a tree in sight, truly horrible. I don't judge the people who live there though as it is very much an each to their own scenario.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Why would you laugh? Water off a ducks back if you have to listen to it sometimes. Your issue is that you constitute people's simple observations as 'hand wringing' & angst when there is none. Australians are people, some of them are snobs some of them aren't - unless they live in some ghastly suburb you always seem to have them in the holier than thou camp - just my simple observation - where's that wringing of hands smily?
I mean laugh at me because I don't experience these discussions (unless it is with an industrial designer - who does...!) and must therefore live in another world...

On this occasion, I am not concerned with hand-wringing :-) I tend to draw parallels with Australians I know, and choose to spend time with, that's all.

Indeed

I know all about class and privilege.....I grew up surrounded by it.

But for all the class distinction in the UK, I never saw the same sort of sneering, nasty dismissal of people based on their circumstances than I do over here.

The worst part is that, here, it is based on money, address or even school not on any notion of breeding or entitlement.

You make it here and then retreat behind your locked gates and spend your time avoiding and denigrating the riff raff.
I also grew up with all that - only it was squarely behind tradition rather than money. I have not made it here at all - I just get to live how I want to live in a modern and varied city and meet like-minded people.

I know lots of normal people - infact I get on with lots of people partly because they like to live in a similar fashion.

Perhaps we can both denigrate the riff-raff...I see rif-raff every day - I must be so grounded..my concern is for people who have no choice.

What is interesting is that many people would prefer a system based on money- it almost smacks as a meritocracy! And others would say that the top public schools in the UK are overly elitist.

Guilty as charged

Never claimed otherwise
Smirk...
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I will never forget that ding dong you had with that kiwi bloke about Melbourne. He was such an arse to you.

As for caring where someone lives, I don't. There are some newer suburbs here in Perth that are truly horrible from an aesthetic point of view. There is one area where you drive down a hill and all you see is a sea of tin roofs. Not a tree in sight, truly horrible. I don't judge the people who live there though as it is very much an each to their own scenario.

or each to what they can afford!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
or each to what they can afford!
I didn't mention cost Margaret. Some of those houses cost as much as mine does in an older suburb.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:37 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Grayling, at least about Melbourne.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
I didn't mention cost Margaret. Some of those houses cost as much as mine does in an older suburb.

mmm ... ture to a certain extent
I personally can live in any snobby suburb i choose, coz am too poor to buy
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a British friend who now lives in Brisbane telling me the other day how relieved she was to be away from all the judgemental people she was surrounded by in the uk where she lived. She said it has changed her as well and she finds it so much better. While I don't necessarily know whether it is better/worse here or there overall (does anyone really) I think where you come from/to, down to the suburb, and what you are like personally (eg grayling) could affect what you experience.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 13th 2011 at 2:51 am.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
mmm ... ture to a certain extent
I personally can live in any snobby suburb i choose, coz am too poor to buy
Which is another reason why impressions of people living in certain suburbs is nonsense, You could be in what is deemed a 'very noice' suburb and so be considered wealthy/posh etc but actually you're could be a complete bogan who's renting.

Disclaimer: You doesn't mean you Margaret, honest!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the first question, I had a good think about it and looked up lots of definitions of snobbery and found the one the best matches my idea of what a snob is .... "A snob is someone who believes that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ancestry, taste, beauty, nationality, et cetera. Often, the form of snobbery reflects the snob's personal attributes. For example, a common snobbery of the affluent is the belief that wealth is either the cause or result of superiority, or both."

In answer to question 2. Absolutely not on both counts. It tends to start as a veiled attempt at describing their own desires for themselves and their families but they always slip up with the usual put downs on others' circumstances and choices. Hey, you don't even have to be in Melbourne to witness the snobbery I talk about. Just spend a little time on BE and it's all there in black and white.

And for that final comment. Sheltered? Are you serious???????
Thanks for that. To be honest, whether it is real snobbery, or reverse snobbery, then yes it exists. It's possible to note that some people are in some form 'limited' (and yet enjoy their company!). I do it, G does it, Dead Vim has admitted to it. I've spent my entire life noticing that a lot of people aren't as well 'bred' as others - whatever that means...that is a very honest and frank remark - I expect to be rewarded for it. I have also spent my entire adult life mixing with lots of people and learning from them.

And yes, snobbery is rife on BE. The only sort that bores me is when people are a tad materialistic without the education to deal with it.

(As for people letting slip - I have never seen that, seriously in Melbourne. Most people want the best for their kids and say things like they want their children to share those ideals with other like-minded individuals. I have never actually heard anyone say 'the place is full of ferals' unless of course they are talking so generally that we all could agree...see my point about like-minded individuals.)

Sheltered - am I serious? Half...M'Lud. ..if a large amount of people really are concerned about other people's display of wealth and status which is as far as I know a world-wide occurence then maybe, maybe they are. Or...they were luckier to mix with better people in the UK. I suspect one of the problems is that some people inadvertently end up in different crowds...which anyone could do moving half way around the world. It's nothing other than demographics.

To the board: let me make it clear -I expect to see displays of crass wealth and status. I'll let you all know next time I think I detect it - but it will probably be along the lines of 'I need to go and pick up my kids from school' and it is no secret where that school is...so it will not count.

A better idea would be to go to a large Westfield - I bet I'll see 'snobs' there. on sight.

Am I being reasonable - fair even? - or will I also be taken to task....please let me know..

I don't mind discussing social-economic history - I had the misfortune to study some subjects in my first year at Uni. A veritable can of worms and I beat myself up over it all the time.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Which is another reason why impressions of people living in certain suburbs is nonsense, You could be in what is deemed a 'very noice' suburb and so be considered wealthy/posh etc but actually you're could be a complete bogan who's renting.

Disclaimer: You doesn't mean you Margaret, honest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.