Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do people form an impression of you based on your suburb?

Do people form an impression of you based on your suburb?

Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people form an impression of you based on your suburb?

Originally Posted by saveme
Australia is the same as England, they just haven't had time to develop a posh accent YET - but they are working on it at the private schools in the East Subs where you would never hear 'Where are YOUSE from?'

A sort of reverse cool develops too - proud to be a Westie and wearing my flanno shirts & Ugg boots.'

Sorry about the stereotype.
The same everywhere, you'd be surprised how well spoken some upper-middle class Australians are. Older families.

Australia is class conscious in that they do blue collar, white collar but in my experience there is more blurring around how people mix.

Don't confuse egalitarian with class.

Keep it simple - if ...you are different to the people you live with it will grate.

Where we live there is a mix of people and people share in common the way they want to LIVE, the fact it is a high income area is circumstantial. My road is known as the Toorak of the village. You can't tell from what people wear as they dress down for semi-rural.

If you want classless - live in the suburbs - that can be very uniform.

Originally Posted by Grayling
Most Australians do
G's off... Many Australians are happy to eke out suburban existences.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

G's off... Many Australians are happy to eke out suburban existences.
You mean the poor ones?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

The person I know who goes on the most about the "proper" suburb is a relative of my husband's who has no post secondary education, no professional credentials, doesn't read, barely travels, drives a truck in the mines but because he bought property in one of the million dollar suburbs back in the 90s, he's apparently the expert on how living in an area with the right postcode = class and sophistication. I have to laugh when he goes on about the "undesirables" in those terrible suburbs...

I'd point out that he has a lot in common with the people he's putting down, but it would go over his head really.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:54 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Loving this....but which one am I????
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
WTF??? LMFAO!!!!
I have an absolutely shit day at work, and thats the only thing thats made me smile today

ahhh brendarover, i get more and more curious about your sanity
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
It seems in Melbourne as if suburbs with high asian or indian immigrants is seen as 'bad', with low property/rental prices. Yet, providing you get a family neighbourhood, they tend to be quiet, low crime, with newer houses (and thus at least some insulation). You are unlikely to get Bogans doing burnouts late at night.

So you can use Australian preconceptions against them
I live in GW, where i would say the population is v.much chinese, at first, it was a bit of a shock for us, (coming from a very insular small scottish place), now i think its the best suburb in the universe. I could not speak high enough of the public schools here, the food and the people,
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Most Australians do
26 million people live in Australia. Have you surveyed them all?

I'm with Penny and Vim. The Australians I know couldn't give a monkey's where anyone lives. I've got friends in Mosman Park (most expensive suburb in WA) and friends in Gosnells (lower socioeconomic suburb) and none of them could care less where anyone else lives. The Mosman Park people live there because it's close to their workplaces and they can afford to. The people in Gosnells live there because it's close to their family and it's what they can afford.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
Is it common in Australia? Does the suburb you live in affect your social interaction, job prospects, credibility etc.? Would someone living in Mount Druitt be treated differently than someone living in Mosman?
I think the thing most frowned upon is to live in one place but pretend you're from another
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I had never seen as much snobbery until I moved to Australia.

....but I have always lived in nice places...here and UK
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:35 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I had never seen as much snobbery until I moved to Australia.

....but I have always lived in nice places...here and UK
Since arriving in this country, I've never witnessed as much snobbery as I have from those living in the affluent suburbs of Melbourne.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by herrchook
Since arriving in this country, I've never witnessed as much snobbery as I have from those living in the affluent suburbs of Melbourne.
I think it is endemic in Australia
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fair enough. Do people there judge you on what suburb you live in?
Not really. Apart from a few diplomatic pockets, rest of the country is pretty much flat. Most areas will have a mix of people with widely varying profiles. A person will be judged more on his/her family background, education level, position in job hierarchy, historical wealth (as opposed to new money) etc. Oftentimes places will be identified with some families who live there, not the other way round. No, its not a utopia. Country is generally the biggest shit hole in the world, full of corruption, crime, injustice and you name it. Its the worst place to raise a family.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Country is generally the biggest shit hole in the world, full of corruption, crime, injustice and you name it.
You will feel right at home here then
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:42 am
Sunny Sydney

Its the worst place to raise a family.
I sincerely doubt that's true!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by herrchook
I sincerely doubt that's true!
herrchook, I was referring to Bangladesh where I live now..... in response to another poster's question here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.