Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Ozzies hate us?

Do Ozzies hate us?

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Do Ozzies hate us?

Hi all,

Anybody already in the workplace down-under. What does the average Aussie make of us pommies/brits moving over to their country. My work colleague reckons they hate us. I'm not so sure thats true.

What are your experiences with them good or bad?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:23 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

How do u feel about Aussies moving over here and working ???

i would suggest if your answer is anything but "OK" i wouldn't be emigrating ....
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:24 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do Ozzies hate us?

Originally posted by 65 million
Hi all,

Anybody already in the workplace down-under. What does the average Aussie make of us pommies/brits moving over to their country. My work colleague reckons they hate us. I'm not so sure thats true.

Personally never had a problem although if most Aussie workplaces are like mine then the Aussies are Vietnamise, Chinese, Greeks, Italians etc etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:28 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stephenwhite68
How do u feel about Aussies moving over here and working ???

i would suggest if your answer is anything but "OK" i wouldn't be emigrating ....

ooooh good point.

I remember the second time I lived in Scotland, (after I had acquired a scottish accent) I had a conversation with a "certain person" about foreigners and pointing out that I was also a "foreigner". The answer I got back was .... "oh but I dont mean people like you" :scared:
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:35 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

I know its awfull how some people think.
especially in the world of today !
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:18 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Christ, hope my aussie doesn't hate me, or we're in real trouble!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:20 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bundy
Christ, hope my aussie doesn't hate me, or we're in real trouble!

I was just thinking the same Bundy, He really shouldn't have married me if he hates me.

Kala
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Is there any truth in the general statement that many Australians would rather give the jobs to other Australians?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Although not in Oz yet, I'm friends with many Australians who don't see a problem with Brits going over....most Australians realise it's a hard slog to get in legally, and see it as a huge compliment that we would want to.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:58 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any truth in the general statement that many Australians would rather give the jobs to other Australians?

yes to the extent that brits would rather give jobs to other brits, french would rather give jobs to other french, tiawanese would rather give jobs to other tiawanese, turks would rather give jobs to other turks etc, etc, etc.......

Local knowledge counts for more than you may first think.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:59 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Under Australian law, employers have to prove that they have made every effort to find an appropriate Australian before they are allowed to employ a non-Aussie for a post. That's why there are more jobs for migrants in in-demand occupations, where appropriately-qualified or experienced nationals are difficult to find. According to my wife it is true, however, that 'anti-pom' sentiments do exist and she says she's been discriminated against in occasional interviews even though she was a PR. It didn't happen often, though.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
yes to the extent that brits would rather give jobs to other brits,
Not true in the UK, everywhere that I have worked has been like the United Nations & as a S. African have never had any trouble getting work. UK employers tend to look at what you can do for them & not at your nationality.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by davidclifford
Under Australian law, employers have to prove that they have made every effort to find an appropriate Australian before they are allowed to employ a non-Aussie for a post. That's why there are more jobs for migrants in in-demand occupations, where appropriately-qualified or experienced nationals are difficult to find. According to my wife it is true, however, that 'anti-pom' sentiments do exist and she says she's been discriminated against in occasional interviews even though she was a PR. It didn't happen often, though.
Are you sure? I thought that rule applied only to employer-sponsored migrations...that an Australian company could only sponsor you if they had tried but failed to employ an existing PR/Citizen.

If you're a non-Aussie PR, surely you have the same employment and anti-discrimination rights as the Aussies (except certain psots that require citizenship)?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amazulu
Not true in the UK, everywhere that I have worked has been like the United Nations & as a S. African have never had any trouble getting work. UK employers tend to look at what you can do for them & not at your nationality.
I agree. For whatever reason, Aussies tend to take a more parochial view - with preference given to Aussies. Brits tend to be more pragmatic (although this may have been different 20 years ago) and will take who is best for the job.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:57 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Are you sure? I thought that rule applied only to employer-sponsored migrations...that an Australian company could only sponsor you if they had tried but failed to employ an existing PR/Citizen.

If you're a non-Aussie PR, surely you have the same employment and anti-discrimination rights as the Aussies (except certain psots that require citizenship)?

Hidden Paw, I think you're right on this one.

More generally, I sit next to an Aussie at work and don't really think about it. The whole Aussie/ Pom thing is really overcooked by the media.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.