Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

View Poll Results: Do Kids get to stay Kids longer in Oz than the UK?
Yes - Kids stay Kids longer in Oz. My 15 year old still likes action men/barbie dolls.
64.81%
It's about the same Oz and UK
24.07%
Kids stay Kids longer in the UK - my son is 47 and still living at home FFS!
11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

Depends when they arrive.

Its paradise for those around the 16/17 years, well thats what we found, suddenly you have the car, (and even if mumsy wont buy one your mates all have them ) Freedom to go wherever you want, when you want and no worries on the sexual freedom score either.

Ours grew up real fast
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Depends when they arrive.

Its paradise for those around the 16/17 years, well thats what we found, suddenly you have the car, (and even if mumsy wont buy one your mates all have them ) Freedom to go wherever you want, when you want and no worries on the sexual freedom score either.

Ours grew up real fast
Thing is, though, 17 olds get cars too in the UK. Also the closer distances mean teens can walk and get a bit of hows your father. Park benches in parks in Jan are bloody cold too ;-)

About the only benefit of Australia I can see is that you get to look at the goods before you try - on the beach etc.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Thing is, though, 17 olds get cars too in the UK.
Far more kids have cars in OZ, most if not all we met. Would almost everyone in a class of 17YO's in the UK have cars not where we lived.

Nope, hows your father score OZ 1 UK nil.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Far more kids have cars in OZ, most if not all we met. Would almost everyone in a class of 17YO's in the UK have cars not where we lived.

Nope, hows your father score OZ 1 UK nil.
All the kids I knew from country UK had cars, needed one for the same reasons as Oz. It was a different matter in London - but many did too. And there were more partners to choose from in the cities too.

I can see your point though.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

Mindreading? Just interpreted the above, which you posted. Is there a meaning in what you wrote that I'm missing?

Surreal.

Sorry it went straight over you! :scared:
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:54 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Rekon this depends on the parents Buzzy,

There are certain thing my kids aren't allowed even though their mates are and it makes me unpopular, but Hey!!! thats the millstone of being a parent.

Having said that peer pressure is a powerful thing and so is the telly, and at least in Oz the telly is so crap the kids aren't bothered with it

Nic
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There's a lot of talk about how kids in the UK are forced/persuaded to grow up too quickly and become teenagers or adults before they're ready - I was wondering whether this was the same in Oz?

Would be grateful for your replies to the poll.

Thanks

Buzzy
Interesting question, haven't read any other replies, my gut feeling is that children (don't know much about how quickly goats grow up ) have greater pressures in the UK to by-pass the teenage years in favour of adulthood. The UK seems more like the US in this respect. I have a tragic image in my mind of that poor little girl in the US (who was murdered) whose parents entered her into beauty contests and dressed her like a tart and she wasn't even 10.

Children everywhere are doing everything, and I mean everything much younger than they used to. Why I ask? We are all going to live so much longer it just seems so sad to jump from early childhood to adulthood - there's going to be a lot of years living like an adult.

I see the most recent posts are judging this by how soon you get a car which is just one small aspect of growing up. I live in a rural area of the UK and teach in a secondary school and my experience is that all children have their own car or borrow Mummy's or Daddy's as soon as they pass their driving test. The driving test is too soon and tertiary education is too soon and the school leaving age is too low in the UK IMHO. All of these things force growing up I reckon.

OzTennis
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:04 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Sorry it went straight over you! :scared:
It didn't. I guess you just can't convey what you want to. That's ok. Not everyone's good with words.:scared:

Last edited by iPom; Nov 14th 2006 at 10:06 am.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Interesting question, haven't read any other replies, my gut feeling is that children (don't know much about how quickly goats grow up ) have greater pressures in the UK to by-pass the teenage years in favour of adulthood. The UK seems more like the US in this respect. I have a tragic image in my mind of that poor little girl in the US (who was murdered) whose parents entered her into beauty contests and dressed her like a tart and she wasn't even 10.

Children everywhere are doing everything, and I mean everything much younger than they used to. Why I ask? We are all going to live so much longer it just seems so sad to jump from early childhood to adulthood - there's going to be a lot of years living like an adult.

I see the most recent posts are judging this by how soon you get a car which is just one small aspect of growing up. I live in a rural area of the UK and teach in a secondary school and my experience is that all children have their own car or borrow Mummy's or Daddy's as soon as they pass their driving test. The driving test is too soon and tertiary education is too soon and the school leaving age is too low in the UK IMHO. All of these things force growing up I reckon.

OzTennis

But at the end of the day it's all about how people perceive things. I've seen under 5's out begging on the streets at 2am in Turkey! UK & Aus kids do not have to grow up this quickly! I'd say what age they drive or play with at any age in UK/Aus is such a minor issue. Modern society has warped how people see the world UK & Aus kids are very over protected, but people don't see the bigger picture!
My kids will do well no matter what, I'm very grateful that they'll spend most of their lives in well developed societies, get an education and have access to 1st rate medical facilities. Some tend to look on how society has failed them or if the Daily Mail tells them it's failing them, when really they're very lucky! Some will spend their lives looking for a eutopia that does not exist....or complaining about where they live or someone who lives near them until the day they die... .....when they could look for positives in each day and enjoy life more!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Not everyone's good with words.:scared:

And some just never understand :scared: or even worse think they understand when they just plain don't
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:12 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
And some just never understand :scared: or even worse think they understand when they just plain don't

As you have so adequately demonstrated.

And then others are just 'last word' freaks.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

As you have so adequately demonstrated.

And then others are just 'last word' freaks.

Sorry but you've not got a clue! But ignorance is bliss or so they say. Enjoy your last word!!!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There's a lot of talk about how kids in the UK are forced/persuaded to grow up too quickly and become teenagers or adults before they're ready - I was wondering whether this was the same in Oz?

Would be grateful for your replies to the poll.

Thanks

Buzzy
yes i think girls in OZ are more childish like in nature then an English girl.
What i mean is that my 15 year old daughter must have been allowed to do alot more than 15 year old girls in OZ as her mates are not allowed to do anything..they can't sleep out, go to cinemas without an adult, not wear make-up, go to bed 9ish.
Probably sounds like the right thing to do but how old do you have to be to do more things???????
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
What i mean is that my 15 year old daughter must have been allowed to do alot more than 15 year old girls in OZ as her mates are not allowed to do anything..they can't sleep out, go to cinemas without an adult, not wear make-up, go to bed 9ish.
Probably sounds like the right thing to do but how old do you have to be to do more things???????
How old do you have to be to do some things? Some things 16, other things 17 or 17.5, other things 18 and other things 21 (legally) but ..... you are considered a freak by some in modern society if you haven't done the things you are not allowed to do under 16 well before you are 16 and so on.

OzTennis
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulrachel
sounds more like the people she knows. I know of extremely mature 15 year girls who do those things.