Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do first time migrants on permanent residency pay import duty?

Do first time migrants on permanent residency pay import duty?

Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

apobateman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do first time migrants on permanent residency pay import duty?

Hi - I haven't found a clear answer to the above question. I have seen that I need to declare anything bought within the previous 12 months when I ship my household effects to Sydney in january - I am assuming this includes things like new printer, new stereo etc. I have also read that each adult is entitled to $400 duty free and children $200, and assume that gives a $1200 total allowance?

However, I also read on the PSS removal site that first time permanent resident migrants are exempt from the import duty at all? Can anyone clarify please? If that is the case, I may purchase a few extra items now to take advantage of cheaper costs, and then ship them over.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do first time migrants on permanent residency pay import duty?

Originally Posted by apobateman
Hi - I haven't found a clear answer to the above question. I have seen that I need to declare anything bought within the previous 12 months when I ship my household effects to Sydney in january - I am assuming this includes things like new printer, new stereo etc. I have also read that each adult is entitled to $400 duty free and children $200, and assume that gives a $1200 total allowance?

However, I also read on the PSS removal site that first time permanent resident migrants are exempt from the import duty at all? Can anyone clarify please? If that is the case, I may purchase a few extra items now to take advantage of cheaper costs, and then ship them over.
You do not pay import taxes on personal effects. If you came with a container full of brand new stereos and tried to say they were for personal use then yes, you would pay duty. You may pay AQIS inspection fees and any fumigation/destruction fees when you get your stuff to this end, though.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

apobateman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You do not pay import taxes on personal effects. If you came with a container full of brand new stereos and tried to say they were for personal use then yes, you would pay duty. You may pay AQIS inspection fees and any fumigation/destruction fees when you get your stuff to this end, though.
Thanks Dorothy - so should I still declare these items as where it asks to list anything bought by me in the last 12 months? Everything I have purchased in the past few months is for personal use and has been opened and used, with the exception of a brand new upright vacuum cleaner that my wife wanted, and bicycle that I bought her for xmas :-)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apobateman
Thanks Dorothy - so should I still declare these items as where it asks to list anything bought by me in the last 12 months? Everything I have purchased in the past few months is for personal use and has been opened and used, with the exception of a brand new upright vacuum cleaner that my wife wanted, and bicycle that I bought her for xmas :-)
When your removalists come they should do a detailed listing of all your possessions anyway. Ours was about 8 pages long and detailed every single item put in the container. I personally wouldn't worry about it. The movers will itemise things, so you don't have to.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Declare everything, in theory you should pay duty on all items owned for less than 12 months, in practice if the items are for personal use (i.e. not multiple items still in their boxes for obvious resale) you are very unlikely to be charged duty. We had a number of things bought within 12 months of moving here, declared everything and had no problems.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Declare everything, in theory you should pay duty on all items owned for less than 12 months, in practice if the items are for personal use (i.e. not multiple items still in their boxes for obvious resale) you are very unlikely to be charged duty. We had a number of things bought within 12 months of moving here, declared everything and had no problems.
I have to echo the above reply completetly. If you declare, you probably won't pay anything (unless it's a silly amount over the top) if you don't declare and they find it, it will cost you heaps.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

We declared our laptops on arrival and paid nothing.

Also declared the new tumble dryer in the container and had to pay duty on that.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't declare a brand new Dyson and a new microwave both still in their original packaging. Didn't get thumped for duty either. Possibly just lucky though.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:21 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

But then...I even put on the form that a chest of drawers might have wood worm....they didn't even look. I think it is luck most of the time.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and her husband recently moved over, packed their container themselves, they had many new items still in original packing (Ikea furniture,Plasma Tv and a Cement mixer for me) They declared all new items and did not pay a cent duty they expected to pay some duty on new stuff but maybe they were lucky.
Good luck
John
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:37 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

So we should have no problems with iPod, DSi's etc that we get for the girls for Christmas then?

Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Question...we are also right now packing our own stuff and shipping it out Feb 7, 2010...how detailed do you get in the list?

Is this level of detail sufficient?

For example:

>24 Pc Ikea Dinner Set (less than 12 months old)

>6 Pots and Pans

>23 -inch LCD monitor (less than 12 months old)

>15 Dress Shirts

>6 Pairs of Jeans

>32 inch Sharp Television SN: XXXXXXX

>47 inch Toshiba LCD (less than 12 months old) SN: XXXXXXXX

-scaria197
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:30 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaria197
Question...we are also right now packing our own stuff and shipping it out Feb 7, 2010...how detailed do you get in the list?

For example:

>6 Pots and Pans

>15 Dress Shirts

>6 Pairs of Jeans

-scaria197

You could delete the "less than 12 months old" and they would never know the difference.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaria197

For example:

>6 Pots and Pans

>15 Dress Shirts

>6 Pairs of Jeans

-scaria197
Nah. Just label the general contents of each box such as:

Master b/room - Ladies Clothes.

or

Kids room - Kids toys.

or

Kitchen - pots and pans.

etc...

Label the room, then the contents of each box. Makes unpacking easier.

Big items can be labelled individually. Don't mention it's new if you can help it. Our tumble dryer was brand new in the box still, so we declared it.

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 7th 2010 at 9:13 am.