Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do auusie youths kick each others heads in?

Do auusie youths kick each others heads in?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do auusie youths kick each others heads in?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm not sure why I noticed this kind of behavior on my last visit this time last year. It maybe because I travelled on my own and could have been out more in the evening although I'm not sure about that. It just seemed very different or more noticeable than my previous trip with my wife and kids 4-5 years ago. It was enough for me to rethink my retirement plans.

Still I'll give it another go, looks like this particular problem could be coming to a head.

I dont recall the media and society as a whole talking about drunken girls to this extent before. Although the rest of the problems I'm sure have existed throughout history.

There have been a lot of cases locally of fighting at local AFL games between the players and spectators in the under 17 age group around finals times.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...56-661,00.html
there were certainly numerous drunken and others high on one substance or another,but what i do think there was not the attitude that is a little too prevallant with todays crop.
Although saying that a lot of the punk girls from the late 70s had attitude to burn but still somehow different...or me seeing it differently with age could be part of it perhaps? And yes girls also fought back then as witnessed at least two screamers,with girl on girl action one in a Bayswater pub(W2) and other in the Notting Hill Gate tube station. Saw a few other minor pushing and shoving sort of affairs..but nothing as bad as in OZ where in full view of dozens,a woman smashed another in the face with a full bottle of beer in Todd Mall Alice Springs.
Seems girls are fighting in and out of school and recording it to play online as reported by the media in OZ recently.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Must be in the very old days,i would suggest as i go back to the mid/ late seventies and recall quite a bit of biff.
In the old days, when they hit the ground they tended to stay there, a broken bottle in the face tended to have that effect.

Some areas of Australia rarely see violence, in much the same way as some areas of the UK rarely see violence.

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Said this before - the only Australian angle which worries (and bemuses me) is the obsession some men have with 'Chopper' - he's a bit of a role model for some.

Some men can't shave off their hair and grow a goatee fast enough - if it makes them look tough - all in!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sammyg
One of the biggest comments of b**s**t i ever heard was, 'that kids are more polite and better behaved' in Aus!!!!!! i've no idea where the people/person was from who said that...but, oh so wrong!!
Maybe they live in an area where most of the kids are polite and better behaved, in comparison to the area that they used to live in.

Sometimes people generalise... But they may have been right for their location.

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:30 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spikeyjo
Hi,

Just a thought, in UK teenagers and yound men regularly kick each others heads in and stab each other without a second thought?

Are the young aussie men the same? Are there similar issues in Oz?
Well, I think after reading through all these replies it is quite clear that the answer is essentially 'yes'.

Logic tells you that it would be the case, anyway. Kids are kids. Teenagers are not really, logically, likely to be radically different in individual western nations. Why would an Aussie 17 year old be SO different to a British 17 year old?

The real shame is that people are so convinced that it's only in Britain. None more so than the British.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Last I heard, the police had confirmed that no one kicked him once down. Just a really sad unfortunate accident that went very very wrong. However if some of the media can turn it into a major teenage fighting story they will.
Can't believe that this is my old school.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How can it be an accident when he was hit on purpose!!!??
A number of witnesses state that he was hit over and over again. The school has a reputation for bullying and thats why the parents and locals went marching through the Suburb in protest.

Australia has a habbit of playing things down and sweeping 'things' under the carpet to make everyone feel safer!
I don't believe everything i read!...either way!

Unfortunately, the youths of Aus seem to be thicker and dumber than those i seem to have experienced/remembered in the UK, therefore they get themselves into some horrid, horrid things!!!!

One of the biggest comments of b**s**t i ever heard was, 'that kids are more polite and better behaved' in Aus!!!!!! i've no idea where the people/person was from who said that...but, oh so wrong!!
I guess it depends on where you're (general) from and where you've moved to and who you mix with. The area I came from was normal vaguely upper middle class, most of the kids were nice but the kids I meet on a daily basis here are definitely more polite. I'd say the standard of behaviour to be much the same as it was where I was in the UK.

The police said that there was no proof he was kicked or hit once down. There was a fight but show me a school in the world where fights don't happen, things haven't changed since forever, there have always been kids in schools who fight and who bully since schools began.

A number of 'witnesses' have also said that he was not hit time and time again and after one kid said on tv that there was video evidence of the kicking, after being interviewed by police, they have confirmed that there isn't. I assume some kids are lying but I have no idea which ones.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
But you may find this interesting reading:

A vast study of youngsters' well-being in 30 industrialised nations ranked Britain among the worst.Underage teenagers in Britain are more likely to get drunk than those in any other country, and the proportions of teenage mothers and single-parent families are among the highest in the survey.
actually, the study ranked Britain among the worst in a few of the criteria studied. I wrote the following on another thread but it bears repeating here:

I saw that some of the findings of this report -in particular those indicating that British teenagers are the pissheads of Europe - have already been picked up on by the UK press and reported in a manner that suggests that the UK is the delinquent parent of the western world. However, I had a closer look at the pdf chapter 2 linked to above and did some rudimentary <cough> analysis of my own. Chapter 2 includes bar charts for the 20 criteria studied (plus a couple relating to migrant children which I didn't look at closely) and I found that the UK is placed in the top (i.e. good) third in four of these criteria, in the middle third in nine criteria, and in the bottom third in seven. Overall the average UK placing in all these criteria was 16th - out of 30 countries in the OECD. But I guess UK COMPLETELY AVERAGE AMONG DEVELOPED NATIONS isn't a sufficiently dramatic headline and doesn't allow Daily Mail readers to indulge in their bizarre fantasies about how Britain is somehow akin to Somalia/Afghanistan/Zimbabwe rolled into one.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Britain is somehow akin to Somalia/Afghanistan/Zimbabwe rolled into one.
You missed Ibiza
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spikeyjo

Just a thought, in UK teenagers and yound men regularly kick each others heads in and stab each other without a second thought?

Until recently I worked in a UK 6th form college with 1500 teenagers. Not one has been stabbed in the 6 years I was there. There was one violent incident last year which was brief scrap between two boys. Both were cautioned with letters to their parents. It has not happened again. It is a state funded school - nothing posh. When you tell them off for swearing they say sorry!

I feel sorry for all the bad press kids get here. Most are really nice people with good parents. It's hard for them to hear off the cuff comments about how they are all violent drunken louts.

Last edited by jmh; Sep 2nd 2009 at 12:41 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I guess it depends on where you're (general) from and where you've moved to and who you mix with. The area I came from was normal vaguely upper middle class, most of the kids were nice but the kids I meet on a daily basis here are definitely more polite. I'd say the standard of behaviour to be much the same as it was where I was in the UK.

The police said that there was no proof he was kicked or hit once down. There was a fight but show me a school in the world where fights don't happen, things haven't changed since forever, there have always been kids in schools who fight and who bully since schools began.

A number of 'witnesses' have also said that he was not hit time and time again and after one kid said on tv that there was video evidence of the kicking, after being interviewed by police, they have confirmed that there isn't. I assume some kids are lying but I have no idea which ones.
Even if he was/wasn't hit once on the floor, you still call the whole thing an accident?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

How can it be an accident when he was hit on purpose!!!??
A number of witnesses state that he was hit over and over again. The school has a reputation for bullying and thats why the parents and locals went marching through the Suburb in protest.

Australia has a habbit of playing things down and sweeping 'things' under the carpet to make everyone feel safer!
I don't believe everything i read!...either way!

Unfortunately, the youths of Aus seem to be thicker and dumber than those i seem to have experienced/remembered in the UK, therefore they get themselves into some horrid, horrid things!!!!

I feel "Australia has a habbit of playing things down and sweeping 'things' under the carpet to make everyone feel safer!" and "the youths of Aus seem to be thicker and dumber" are just as big generalisations as "biggest comments of b**s**t i ever heard was, 'that kids are more polite and better behaved' in Aus!!!!!!".
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Maybe they live in an area where most of the kids are polite and better behaved, in comparison to the area that they used to live in.
I think that applies to a great many expats, most do get some sort of improvement in some area. You can't forget or underestimate this - people generally do not go and live in an awful area, quieter maybe.

Therefore I think a great many expats get the dream life they always wanted, but with all the attendant boredom that goes with it which takes longer to sink in.

I think a great many of the Australian teens I meet are sort of politer and less aggressive but that is down to the lifestyle and the community we live in - not just Australia. If I have seen it elsewhere, it is again down to the way people live. I'll go out on a limb and say the pace of life is generally slower in Australian cities, but I come from London.

But when Australians get aggressive, they have the potential to be as violent as any.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:44 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
actually, the study ranked Britain among the worst in a few of the criteria studied. I wrote the following on another thread but it bears repeating here:

I saw that some of the findings of this report -in particular those indicating that British teenagers are the pissheads of Europe - have already been picked up on by the UK press and reported in a manner that suggests that the UK is the delinquent parent of the western world. However, I had a closer look at the pdf chapter 2 linked to above and did some rudimentary <cough> analysis of my own. Chapter 2 includes bar charts for the 20 criteria studied (plus a couple relating to migrant children which I didn't look at closely) and I found that the UK is placed in the top (i.e. good) third in four of these criteria, in the middle third in nine criteria, and in the bottom third in seven. Overall the average UK placing in all these criteria was 16th - out of 30 countries in the OECD. But I guess UK COMPLETELY AVERAGE AMONG DEVELOPED NATIONS isn't a sufficiently dramatic headline and doesn't allow Daily Mail readers to indulge in their bizarre fantasies about how Britain is somehow akin to Somalia/Afghanistan/Zimbabwe rolled into one.

Thanks elfman!.

To those of you who still read the Daily Malice - WHY?????
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:32 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Must be in the very old days,i would suggest as i go back to the mid/ late seventies and recall quite a bit of biff.
Well, from what I recall even of the eighties, the head was usually not kicked in again, and again, and again.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.