Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies have manners?

Do Aussies have manners?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do Aussies have manners?

Originally Posted by loz
Does Arkon even live in the same hemisphere as the rest of us

Sorry Arkon but it begs the question...........................could the problem actually be you

Loz x
I don't think it is Arkon. There are really some places that are like that,not everywhere but country oz can be like that.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
trying to get into the newsagency around the shopping trolleys that they take in with them,even an excuse me please doesn't seem to move them!. I get looked at silly.
Must admit I've noticed that Aussies dont tend to say "excuse me" in the supermarket, they just stand behind you waiting for you to get out of the way and if you say it to them they look at you all blank.

Once I was in a shop and these three people just stood there and ignored my polite "excuse me", so I said it in a really loud voice and barged past. The bloke said "No need to be like that" so I replied "Well get out of the way then!" Hormones!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Overall I find manners to be the same in both Countries. I think the driving thing is not rudeness, rather that UK drivers are overly polite. Driving standards in the UK are very high.
I find that shop assistants here rarely say thank-you, so I don't either.
As for kids giving up seats, I find this about the same in both Countries.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When the shop assistant doesn't say thank you as he/she hands back my change and receipt I make a point of saying very clearly "You're welcome". They usually mumble some kind of thanks or look at me like I have six heads. Either way, makes me feel better.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I've got to say that in general I think people are more friendly and polite in Oz than in the UK. Drivers don't tend to let you out but I think thats just poor driving standards rather than deliberate rudeness. What I haven't run into here is the shop assistance not saying a single word to you whilst serving you because they are to busy talking to their mate. This was a regular occurence in the UK.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M J
Out of interest ... Do men open doors for women? Do people give their seat on the bus/tram to the olds or pregnant women? I know its down to the individual but in general? Or am i living in false hope?

M J
'When did you last beat your wife'.

'Do Aussies have manners?'

OzTennis
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yanH
I've got to say that in general I think people are more friendly and polite in Oz than in the UK. Drivers don't tend to let you out but I think thats just poor driving standards rather than deliberate rudeness. What I haven't run into here is the shop assistance not saying a single word to you whilst serving you because they are to busy talking to their mate. This was a regular occurence in the UK.
This is just the same in Rocky no difference at all.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
All I can say is 'Crikey!' You must live in a very different Australia to me and mine.
Crikey! I do believe you're right. But then, as we've all worked out now, it seems to have nothing little do with geography. The nearest BE 'member' to me, who lives just 6km from here, has views that are diametrically opposed to mine...
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

After almost three years, my findings are:

Australian children have a higher standard of manners than UK children - in terms of minding their P's and Q's and of general respect for their elders, their surroundings and what is expected of them - when my kids friends come 'over', I am always really pleased to see and hear this, glad my kids have 'linked up' with such nice kids and equally glad that my kids measure up to the same standard.

Checkout chicks here suck - the times I have been told the amount of my purchase / I hand over the cash / I then get the change and reciept thrust into my hand without a kiss-my-arse or anything. Not good.

Waitresses/bar staff/life guards/telephony peeps (telstra/ergon/centerlink/DIMA/trades)/teaching staff/etc etc - all good, without exception. I have never made a call / queried something and encountered rudeness or lack of manners.

I have a little theory though - what you give is what you get (apart from with the checkout chicks of course, who are pissed off with the whole world, it would seem)

It's nice to be nice and it comes back ten-fold, in my experience.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
After almost three years, my findings are:

Australian children have a higher standard of manners than UK children - in terms of minding their P's and Q's and of general respect for their elders, their surroundings and what is expected of them - when my kids friends come 'over', I am always really pleased to see and hear this, glad my kids have 'linked up' with such nice kids and equally glad that my kids measure up to the same standard.

Checkout chicks here suck - the times I have been told the amount of my purchase / I hand over the cash / I then get the change and reciept thrust into my hand without a kiss-my-arse or anything. Not good.

Waitresses/bar staff/life guards/telephony peeps (telstra/ergon/centerlink/DIMA/trades)/teaching staff/etc etc - all good, without exception. I have never made a call / queried something and encountered rudeness or lack of manners.

I have a little theory though - what you give is what you get (apart from with the checkout chicks of course, who are pissed off with the whole world, it would seem)

It's nice to be nice and it comes back ten-fold, in my experience.
I always stike up a conversation with the checkout people, I ask them how they are going and can honestly say that 95% of them always respond in a nice way, they always say have a good afternoon/evening or whatever.

I used to work at morissons in the UK, so know just how crap a job it is hence my being 'overfriendly' with them But it nearly always gets a positive result
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hence my being 'overfriendly' with them But it nearly always gets a positive result
Ever pulled?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:03 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
It clearly must be, Seems like most on here live in or near cities and seem to think the Australians have manners. Where I am it couldn't be further from the truth. You get scorned at in shops, centerlink, rta. If fact everywhere. I do meet lots that do have manners here but it is nowhere near enough to say Australians have a lot of manners, far too many hoons, bogans, ferrals, you name it we have it in spades.

You get lots of hello's and g'days and hows it going chit chat but that in my book isn't manners. I get no please, thankyou, after you, you're welcome, and NEVER an excuse me.

So people if manners are important to you then steer clear of ferral redneck country Australia.
Can someone explain what a BOGAN is please ?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by M J
Can someone explain what a BOGAN is please ?
Chav - Australian version thereof. Usually has a mullet, drives a souped up ute, eats in KFC six days a week (Sunday's special, that' Maccers day), wears sleeveless vest and swim shorts year-round, has a girlfriend called Raylene.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I always stike up a conversation with the checkout people, I ask them how they are going and can honestly say that 95% of them always respond in a nice way, they always say have a good afternoon/evening or whatever.

I used to work at morissons in the UK, so know just how crap a job it is hence my being 'overfriendly' with them But it nearly always gets a positive result
Hi Wendy,

thats the really odd thing: I always get the "Hello, how are you" - "good thanks, how are you", "yeah, good thanks" bit and then shit all at the end. Downright rude.

The "How are Ya"? is programmed into them from orierentation/pre-service training day and the finale of "Thankyou" (when giving receipt and change) is long forgotten!

I will however reitterate that it is the ONLY bad manners I have encountered in 3 years.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:12 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Chav - Australian version thereof. Usually has a mullet, drives a souped up ute, eats in KFC six days a week (Sunday's special, that' Maccers day), wears sleeveless vest and swim shorts year-round, has a girlfriend called Raylene.
Mmmmmm Sounds real attractive !! Its clear i might have to learn a whole new lingo!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.