Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussie Kids Get Life Too Easy

Do Aussie Kids Get Life Too Easy

Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Jimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant future
Default Do Aussie Kids Get Life Too Easy

I can only speak for Perth here, but I find that due to the amount of wealth around this State, kids get things too easy and are generally spoiled. I have seen kids being bought expensive cars once they pass their tests, iphones seem to be common amongst young kids and teenagers, and kids generally have all the latest expensive toys.

I find it hard to set some values for my kids and learn them the value of money, when all around them, their mates seem to get bought very expensive toys. I also find a lot of parents, due either to working away, or as a result of a divorce situation, overspoil their kids due to guilt.

Where is the incentive for kids to do well at school when they know they can leave school and get $120k for driving a truck in the mines, or be a tradie and earn more than those in professional roles. It is no wonder that this state comes up short in the standard of education.

I know the rest of the world are not living like this and can’t help thinking we are living in one big bubble here.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Student_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Aussie Kids Get Life Too Easy

I'd +1 that considering some of the guys I've seen in uni,

On the last point I often wonder if I'm doing the right thing by going to uni (which is crippling my finances) when I see the apprentices who are fully supported by the government and earning a wage whilst enjoying better job opportunities.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo
Where is the incentive for kids to do well at school when they know they can leave school and get $120k for driving a truck in the mines, or be a tradie and earn more than those in professional roles. It is no wonder that this state comes up short in the standard of education.

I know the rest of the world are not living like this and can’t help thinking we are living in one big bubble here.
Supply and demand really...when the mining eventually drops the trade demand will drop and people will change again...just life.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Student_Geo

On the last point I often wonder if I'm doing the right thing by going to uni (which is crippling my finances) when I see the apprentices who are fully supported by the government and earning a wage whilst enjoying better job opportunities.
It's basic economics though, there's demand for engineers and trades and not so much for arts degrees, you need to plan what you want with a degree and go where the skills are required.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
It's basic economics though, there's demand for engineers and trades and not so much for arts degrees, you need to plan what you want with a degree and go where the skills are required.
surely I don't come across as an arts student?

I'm a geology student and thus my prospects are pretty good, I do however feel it's a bit of a kick in the teeth as I see $3K a semester go missing from my bank account at the same time an apprentice gets grants from the government. Then again I actually enjoy my course of study so can't really complain.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

surely I don't come across as an arts student?

I'm a geology student and thus my prospects are pretty good, I do however feel it's a bit of a kick in the teeth as I see $3K a semester go missing from my bank account at the same time an apprentice gets grants from the government. Then again I actually enjoy my course of study so can't really complain.
Been many times when not so good for apprentices so I don't begrudge them their turn at the trough.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for Perth here, but I find that due to the amount of wealth around this State, kids get things too easy and are generally spoiled. I have seen kids being bought expensive cars once they pass their tests, iphones seem to be common amongst young kids and teenagers, and kids generally have all the latest expensive toys.

I find it hard to set some values for my kids and learn them the value of money, when all around them, their mates seem to get bought very expensive toys. I also find a lot of parents, due either to working away, or as a result of a divorce situation, overspoil their kids due to guilt.

Separation bribery is no different the world over. A lot of my daughters friends (she is 14) are 15 and 16. They have jobs and pay for their own mobile phone contracts and have iPhones. My daughter has a bog standard mobile phone. I have told her that when she has a job she can get an iPhone contract as long s she pays for it out of her wages. You make a lot of assumptions in your posts.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there something wrong with being able to leave school and get $120k for driving a truck or having the nouse (sp) to do a four year apprenticeship and become a tradie? I'd be stoked if my girls had Tradie brains and I'd be just as proud if they thought they were capable of working in the mines. Why do you consider those employment choices to be lacking in a 'standard of education'?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:02 pm
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice

Same the world over my friend.

Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
Supply and demand really...when the mining eventually drops the trade demand will drop and people will change again...just life.
Theres 100 years left in the coal easily..
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate

Seems coal may be hard hit with the mining tax though?
-off topic -

Hoping thorium will kick off in a big way over the next 20-40 years, if the supporting technology is developed Australia would reap the rewards in a big way considering how much of the stuff we have.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
We could hope but things normally run in cycles so shouldn't be surprised if the cycles keep on rolling in...
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:33 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the incentive for kids to do well at school when they know they can leave school and get $120k for driving a truck in the mines, or be a tradie and earn more than those in professional roles. .
No-one can leave school and walk straight into a truck driving job in the mines, unless nepotism is alive and well. Because the mines pay big money they can pick and choose, and they are not going to put an inexperienced school-leaver in charge of a very expensive piece of equipment when they can get a driver with years of experience. After all, that's why they offer the big bucks in the first place, to make sure there is sufficient incentive for the experienced people to be prepared to put up with the conditions.

No-one is going to earn big money as a tradie until they have completed their apprenticeship - just like going to Uni really except that as an apprentice you get (lowly) paid because you are actually doing something useful for your employer as well as learning.

However I agree with the OP's basic premise, that your kids will only appreciate the value of things if they have had to do something to earn them. My daughters both worked as checkout chicks at school to be able to buy the things they wanted - I supplied the necessities but not the trendy stuff!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

why should a graduate earn more than a plumber?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Why should someone with a degree in media studies earn more than an electronics technician?

Which role is more 'professional'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.