Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DIY Shipping to Cairns

DIY Shipping to Cairns

Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:22 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Lightbulb DIY Shipping to Cairns

Research so far:

I can buy my own standard 20ft CSC plated container for = £900
I can store it in the UK for £1.50 per day.
Delivery of container to house + 3 hours load time & off to storage = £250
Delivery to Port for shipping = £200 or less.
Shipping to Brisbane £875.

So far: = £2225 + storage for 90 days £135 (doing big holiday on the way over)

The idea is that I sell the container when I get there or keep it while I build my house. so lets say £800 refund. Anything is a bonus really.

The things I kind of need help on are:
  • Does Cairns port have the facilities to clear a 20ft container?
  • Anyone here shipped to Cairns?
  • Or do I need to ship it to Brisbane and lorry it up?

Also for others out there who have, DIY'd it.

Can I put a padlock on the container? would sleep better if I could.

I haven't added Ozzy port cost to this. There is loads of info' on other threads, but the costs seem to differ quite a bit. Making it difficult to guesstimate.

Cheers all,

Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:40 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY Shipping to Cairns

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Research so far:

The idea is that I sell the container when I get there or keep it while I build my house. so lets say £800 refund. Anything is a bonus really.

I haven't added Ozzy port cost to this. There is loads of info' on other threads, but the costs seem to differ quite a bit. Making it difficult to guesstimate.

Cheers all,

Does the price include all the packing material too ?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:44 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Red face Re: DIY Shipping to Cairns

Originally Posted by Issie
Does the price include all the packing material too ?
No, sorry I forgot that.

eBay = £100 approx.

inc' Boxes, Bubble Wrap, Plastic membrane, and them little bags to keep the damp away.

Father-In-law, Brother-in-Law and one Friend for loading = FREE Well the price of a couple of pints anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:20 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry I forgot that.

eBay = £100 approx.

inc' Boxes, Bubble Wrap, Plastic membrane, and them little bags to keep the damp away.

Father-In-law, Brother-in-Law and one Friend for loading = FREE Well the price of a couple of pints anyway.
And have you priced insurance yet ?

I think it could work out to be more expensive in the long run
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:21 pm

Research so far:

Cheers all,

We have been priced $A230 per month for storage if needed in Perth
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Or clear the container at Brissy and ship overland to Cairns
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It would be into Brisbane.
Probably cheaper to rail it up to Cairns.

Terminal handling cost.
Port security fee.
Customs clearance.
AQIS inspection.
Warehousing.
Delivery to door in Cairns.
Plus any other snippets they can do you for.

Don't know what all that would cost but guess at $2500.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:50 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
It would be into Brisbane.
Probably cheaper to rail it up to Cairns.

Terminal handling cost.
Port security fee.
Customs clearance.
AQIS inspection.
Warehousing.
Delivery to door in Cairns.
Plus any other snippets they can do you for.

Don't know what all that would cost but guess at $2500.
I know of somebody who thought the self ship would be cheaper but got stung once the container got to Brisbane. You really need to make sure you have all the facts before you go ahead, as they ended up paying more than we did and we went with a company who did everyhting both ends including taking beds, tables etc.. apart and rebuilding them. We had 160 packages all together which trust me was a sh** lot of wrapping as well as about 60 boxes which are expensive to buy. Good Luck with it all.

Axx
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:48 pm
IT Guru

Red face Re: DIY Shipping to Cairns

Cheers all,

Yep, I think you'r all right, this self shipping thing isn't working out. So I'm changing my plan, and getting some quotes off the pros'... They are saying £2200 - £2500 clearing at brisbane. which is better then I can do it for.

Bit disappointed really.

O well, time for a whisky I think.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

123swainston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acbh2
I know of somebody who thought the self ship would be cheaper but got stung once the container got to Brisbane. You really need to make sure you have all the facts before you go ahead, as they ended up paying more than we did and we went with a company who did everyhting both ends including taking beds, tables etc.. apart and rebuilding them. We had 160 packages all together which trust me was a sh** lot of wrapping as well as about 60 boxes which are expensive to buy. Good Luck with it all.

Axx
Hi
Just read your thread and I am also contemplating DIY shipping, what exactly did your friends get stung for in Brisbane? I've taken into account shipping door to door, customs charges, insurance & guessing AQIS charges! But still £1K cheaper than other quotes. But am worried something could go wrong!
Thanks - Sue
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 123swainston
Hi
Just read your thread and I am also contemplating DIY shipping, what exactly did your friends get stung for in Brisbane? I've taken into account shipping door to door, customs charges, insurance & guessing AQIS charges! But still £1K cheaper than other quotes. But am worried something could go wrong!
Thanks - Sue
Other points to consider are the fluctuations on the actual sea freight element.
The majority of global freights are based on the US dollar.
Check if the rate is subject to CAF and BAF.
CAF = currency adjustment factor.
BAF = bunker adjustment factor. (oil price)
These can be variable and change without notice up to the time of sailing date. They could also be large percentage surcharges.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

self loaded container, ex uk, what with the foot and mouth and now "blue tounge" epidemic, AQIS will Hammer you, saw a $ 1300 aqis bill the other week ..................mm
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

123swainston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
self loaded container, ex uk, what with the foot and mouth and now "blue tounge" epidemic, AQIS will Hammer you, saw a $ 1300 aqis bill the other week ..................mm
Hi
How do they know at AQIS that the container is self loaded?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:32 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 123swainston
Hi
How do they know at AQIS that the container is self loaded?
Customs will have the full details of who supplied container, the shipping line

details, the inventory, your b534 customs declaration, etc .......mm
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:35 pm
Banned

Research so far:

Cheers all,

We cut padlocks off, bolt locks are fitted to every container.....mm