Dive gear

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice
Default Dive gear

Working on the assumption I'll get my visa I'm thinking about the best way to buy dive gear for when I'm in Oz.

Is it cheaper to buy at a dive show in the UK than buying in Oz?

And are the same brands of kit available? I'm worried about buying a UK based brand like Apeks only to find I can't get my regulator serviced in Australia.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:17 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Dive gear

Originally Posted by Bodger
Working on the assumption I'll get my visa I'm thinking about the best way to buy dive gear for when I'm in Oz.

Is it cheaper to buy at a dive show in the UK than buying in Oz?

And are the same brands of kit available? I'm worried about buying a UK based brand like Apeks only to find I can't get my regulator serviced in Australia.

Just got a dive newsletter through last week, info on it about equip was;

Tanks: Aluminium 85cf = $395
Steel 100cf = $599
Mask, snorkel, open heel fins, dive boots = $160
Apollo Eco Diver (end of line) = $350
Mares BCD, chrome + $550
Ex-hire reg sets (1st stage, primary, octopus, BCD hose & guage = $250
BCD brand new = $550+
Proton Ice = $999 (sale price till Easter, normally $1295)

Brands sold at this centre;
Mares
Dacor
Apollo
Zeagle
Seac Sub Gold
Sunnto
Aeris
Neptune
Seasuits Aust.

HTH
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently Singapore is an excellent place to get dive gear. One issue you may come across is there are different testing standards for tanks and a foreign tank may not be filled up here.

Those prices Michelle listed look good. Most new BCD and reg sets were listed at least $2,000 in the dive shops I have looked at.

Shame Don isn't still around.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Thanks guys. I can't believe I've had responses so quickly

If anyone gets time, could they check ouy UK prices here http://www.simplyscuba.com/ against Oz prices. UK dive show prices are quite a bit cheaper
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:42 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Apparently Singapore is an excellent place to get dive gear. One issue you may come across is there are different testing standards for tanks and a foreign tank may not be filled up here.

Those prices Michelle listed look good. Most new BCD and reg sets were listed at least $2,000 in the dive shops I have looked at.

Shame Don isn't still around.

Everything with this shop seems to be a bit cheaper - its a husband and wife team, away from the city/tourist spots so that could why?

Bodger - you might want to check out this too http://www.prodive.com/Gear_Homepage...&pkExplorerID= no prices, but you can do a live chat with an adviser and probably get them from there.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

UW is a good place to start for most dive related stuff.
They've got a forum where you can usually find the answer to most questions. Give em a go.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Hi,
We have also recently bought dive gear from Manly dive centre in Sydney, ended up getting scubapro. We ummed and arrdd about whether to buy it in Oz or America, as we were going to Hawaii and it was alot cheaper there! We ended up getting a good deal, basically matched the US price ! We decided to get it there in the end as we would also get better service including future discounts. I would say that you would probably get a better deal at a dive show, also maybe bigger variety! Swings and roundabouts really!
happy shopping

Fiona and Nick
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bodger
Hi Bodger

Not sure about prices, but in general the cheapest place would probably be the US. The issue you may have with UK dive show prices are after sales service and gaurantees, especially if you are going to Oz striaght away. I would probaly go for a more international brand than Apeks (although they are expanding) just so your local dive shop can service them. You can get Apeks regs in Oz (http://www.aquanaut.com.au/products/...rand_intro/1/5) but it looks like not the full range so you may struggle to get parts etc quickly.

Alastair
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:23 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Al H
Hi Bodger

Not sure about prices, but in general the cheapest place would probably be the US. The issue you may have with UK dive show prices are after sales service and gaurantees, especially if you are going to Oz striaght away. I would probaly go for a more international brand than Apeks (although they are expanding) just so your local dive shop can service them. You can get Apeks regs in Oz (http://www.aquanaut.com.au/products/...rand_intro/1/5) but it looks like not the full range so you may struggle to get parts etc quickly.

Alastair

Sounds like its cheaper outside of OZ, but you definitely need to research it. I sat next to an American woman on my flight back from LA at the weekend, who was bringing her dive equipment with her to get it serviced (and to use) as she couldn't find anywhere in the US to do so (originally purchased in Sydney).
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We are taking all our british kit except for tanks over with us. I have found at least one place in Sydney (it's a technical diving place) that will deal with Apex and Buddy (AP Valves). After asking on a diving forum we have decided to sell our tanks and buy new when we get there since although they should match Australian standards and will be easy to get tested so they have australian stamps there may be issues with getting them filled since places will not understand the european markings (seems to cause problems all over the world transporting tanks between countries).

As for kit buying in the UK the dive show isn't much cheaper than the net now although it is good for wondering around to look at everything and putting far to much on the credit card when you don't actually need anything .

If you don't already have the kit or a particular brand that you love (I'm definitely an Apex/Buddy woman myself) then I would think you are probably better off waiting until you are there and maybe borrowing kit off other club members to find the model and brand you like best.

Plus if you are buying new kit and not planning on using it until you're there then a lot of dive kit has country specific rather than worldwide guarantees so will be a real pain if it isn't right (e.g. Apex are having problems with some of their new computers at present and these have only been released in the UK and Suunto had a recall on their new D9 and it had been released in Australia but not the UK).

It may be worth poting in the forums on Divernet.com (UK) and diveoz.com.au (Australia) to get their views.

Anne
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 8:48 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spottydog
We are taking all our british kit except for tanks over with us. I have found at least one place in Sydney (it's a technical diving place) that will deal with Apex and Buddy (AP Valves). After asking on a diving forum we have decided to sell our tanks and buy new when we get there since although they should match Australian standards and will be easy to get tested so they have australian stamps there may be issues with getting them filled since places will not understand the european markings (seems to cause problems all over the world transporting tanks between countries).Anne
Do NOT bring UK tanks with you - the Aussies won't even fill them. Aussie requirements are for a 'burst valve' to be fitted to the tank, which UK tanks don't have. It then requires a new valve stem, testing and stamping (all of which cost about what a new tank costs!) before you can use the UK tanks.

I took my 12 litre stumpy with me and had to hire tanks while I was there. A 12 litre standard tank will set you back about $300 (Sydney prices.)

The rest of your kit will be fine. Dunno about prices as I had all of my kit already when we went out.

Speaking of going back.... c'mon DIMIA!!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downunderpom
Do NOT bring UK tanks with you - the Aussies won't even fill them. Aussie requirements are for a 'burst valve' to be fitted to the tank, which UK tanks don't have. It then requires a new valve stem, testing and stamping (all of which cost about what a new tank costs!) before you can use the UK tanks.

I took my 12 litre stumpy with me and had to hire tanks while I was there. A 12 litre standard tank will set you back about $300 (Sydney prices.)

The rest of your kit will be fine. Dunno about prices as I had all of my kit already when we went out.

Speaking of going back.... c'mon DIMIA!!!!

I've never had a problem getting my U.K bought cylinder refilled, I've used various places around here, Salty's up at Bundaberg is managed by an ex pommie and he's filled it at least half a doz times as have the dive shop in Mooloolaba. It's always been fitted with a yoke valve but a few places have adaptors to enable filling of the less popular European Din style valves.
I brought it as it was nearly new and having dived here previously new the yoke style was the preferred standard.
Just my observations up here in Qld but dive gear seems very expensive here compared to U.K prices/wages.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:19 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

re dives show, there is one coming up in London on 5th & 6th March (LIDS)

Spottydog makes good comment re borrowing/trying out kit before you buy. It is not a cheap hobby, where ever you buy.

igual: I know someone who use to work at the Manly dive centre, and one comment re gear was that it was more expensive in Oz.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:11 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've never had a problem getting my U.K bought cylinder refilled, I've used various places around here, Salty's up at Bundaberg is managed by an ex pommie and he's filled it at least half a doz times as have the dive shop in Mooloolaba. It's always been fitted with a yoke valve but a few places have adaptors to enable filling of the less popular European Din style valves.
I brought it as it was nearly new and having dived here previously new the yoke style was the preferred standard.
Just my observations up here in Qld but dive gear seems very expensive here compared to U.K prices/wages.
Like you said - he's an expat. I was dealing with Aussies, and they were adamant....