Dishwashers

Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Dishwashers

Hi

Can anyone tell me if they have bought their dishwasher over and how it is.

Mine arrived a few weeks ago and I can't find anywhere to buy dishwasher salt. If stacked correctly, the cups/glasses on the horizontal hooks always end up with a scummy residue. I have tried different powders/liquids/tablets as well as changing the rinse aid but it makes no difference. I have tried asking in the shops and I just get a blank look and they think I am talking about the powders.

Do you know if swimming pool salt would have the desired effect?

Debs
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dishwashers

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi

Mine arrived a few weeks ago and I can't find anywhere to buy dishwasher salt. If stacked correctly, the cups/glasses on the horizontal hooks always end up with a scummy residue. I have tried different powders/liquids/tablets as well as changing the rinse aid but it makes no difference. I have tried asking in the shops and I just get a blank look and they think I am talking about the powders.

Debs
We were recommended to use pool salt, $5 for a 20kg bag that will last for years. There is a school of thought that says you do not need to use salt as the salt is needed for hard water. The water down here is soft. We use it anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Thanks for that. Guess where I'm going in the morning? Mind, my brother has just had his pool finished and his is a salt one. May go there tomorrow and distract them whilst dh fills a bag (haha)

Debs

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We were recommended to use pool salt, $5 for a 20kg bag that will last for years. There is a school of thought that says you do not need to use salt as the salt is needed for hard water. The water down here is soft. We use it anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. Guess where I'm going in the morning? Mind, my brother has just had his pool finished and his is a salt one. May go there tomorrow and distract them whilst dh fills a bag (haha)

Debs

I have a Bosch dishwasher which we shipped over, I asked the Bosch guy in Harvey Norman about the salt function and he said:

"All dishwashers are now made with the salt function as we sell them all over the world, its only needed for Europe as the water is harder and the calcium builds up, You do not need to use salt in Australia hence why you wont see it on the shelfs of the supermarket, Oh and whatever you do dont buy pool salt It is not the same as dishwasher salt and will erode the heating element as the dishwasher is designed to heat more rapidly than a pool :scared:
Just ignore the salt fill light or even turn it off.

Hope that helps

Di
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harveyhare
I have a Bosch dishwasher which we shipped over, I asked the Bosch guy in Harvey Norman about the salt function and he said:

"All dishwashers are now made with the salt function as we sell them all over the world, its only needed for Europe as the water is harder and the calcium builds up, You do not need to use salt in Australia hence why you wont see it on the shelfs of the supermarket, Oh and whatever you do dont buy pool salt It is not the same as dishwasher salt and will erode the heating element as the dishwasher is designed to heat more rapidly than a pool :scared:
Just ignore the salt fill light or even turn it off.

Hope that helps

Di
I'm not sure what difference the calcium chloride of pool salt is from the calcium chloride of dishwaher salt, unless the former has added stuff like bromine?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:28 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi

Debs
Debs,
I've only just read the instructions for mine, after discovering them whilst shipping the house.

Can you turn the salt dose down / off?

Failing that get someone to send you a bag of the white stuff
from the Uk not Columbia .

Regards
Mark
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm not sure what difference the calcium chloride of pool salt is from the calcium chloride of dishwaher salt, unless the former has added stuff like bromine?

I also thought that salt was salt
Have turned off my salt function, Its one less thing to worry about or Buy

Di
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The salt light isn't the thing that is worrying me. It is the fact that the cups and glasses are a bit scummy. Any ideas? Have tried finish and nearly every other make on the market here but no difference.

Debs

P.S. Never used to do it in the UK so can't understand why
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:33 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

we had the same problem...you can get salt in the tablets, but its not the problem. my husband checked all the inside working components and some of the parts had got stuck and needed cleaning ie the button at the back of the top shelf was stucking in and so it lost water pressure, so didnt have enough pressure to clean the dishes...etc....now every thing is really shinning!

Hi

Debs
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, will get him to look at that in the morning.

Debs
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Had no problem with the one we have here, brought our bosch but it's sitting still in it's John Mason packing out in the carport because previous owner left hers for us. Use finish tablets - everything comes out clean.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

The salt light isn't the thing that is worrying me. It is the fact that the cups and glasses are a bit scummy. Any ideas? Have tried finish and nearly every other make on the market here but no difference.

Debs

P.S. Never used to do it in the UK so can't understand why
Do you use rinse aid? The only time my things were streaky was because the rinse aid was low.

Di