Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dilemma with stroppy teenager!

Dilemma with stroppy teenager!

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:03 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dilemma with stroppy teenager!

Originally Posted by joeyb
We moved over to the Sunshine Coast 8 months ago.

Before leaving the UK, we promised our daughter (13 years old) that we would go back if she didn't it after 6 months in Oz.
We thought She had settled down to life in Oz ok after a few teething problems such as starting a new school. She has made a best friend and is well thought of at school by her teachers.

But over the last couple of weeks she has made it quite clear that she hates it in Oz and that we (me in particular - Mum) are responsible for her unhappiness. No matter what we do for her, or how we handle it, it just isn't making the slightest bit of difference.
She doesn't want to join any clubs and even has to be forced to invite her friend round. I have even offered to look round some schools but she says she doesn't want to change school.

Me, Husband and son (11 years) are quite happy to stay here for the foreseeable future.

I know it has been hard for her but I am now at my wits end with it all and I'm sicking of looking at her miserable face lol!

should we all go back to UK for her or keep her here in oz, miserable.

Any ideas on solutions for this? is this just normal teenager behavior?
my opinion for what its worth

sorry i honestly cannot see what all the fuss is about?

shes a kid, your the parent

you've decided to move here so the answers NO
she carn`t go back till shes of age ie 18 and she has to be made to realize this

as for wasting thousands of dollars to pacify her by sending her on a trip home, get a grip its a potentially disastrous idea,
what would happen if she didn't return ?

as i said my opinion

Steve
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with these replies. She'll grow out of it hopefully.

Out daughter went back over December time for the first two years ($$$$$$$$$) and discovered that her friends have moved on, even though she is online and chats to them socially still.

She has said that she's not going back again. She now has a BF here and loads of friends.

It just takes time.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:29 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wait 4 years and if she is still being a pain in the arse,send her to The French Foreign Legion,they will well n truely sort her out,trust me.Failing that,send her to Perth

Last edited by Bernieboy; Oct 3rd 2012 at 12:31 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Wait 4 years and if she is still being a pain in the arse,send her to The French Foreign Legion,they will well n truely sort her out,trust me.Failing that,send her to Perth
When did they start accepting women(apart from Susan Travers of course ) ? The Legion that is, not Perth
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:42 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When did they start accepting women(apart from Susan Travers of course ) ? The Legion that is, not Perth
In her daughters case,she can make a special plea,dress her up in men's clothing,or give up n send her to Perth
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
In her daughters case,she can make a special plea,dress her up in men's clothing,or give up n send her to Perth
Perth would probably be the tougher option
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I bet she is saying she wants to move back not because she REALLY wants to, but as a way to exert power over you. She wants to because she thinks she can, because you promised. Childish, and she is a child so no surprises there!

No way would I move back. As previously suggested, speak to her on her level. Apologise for making a promise you couldn't keep. "My bad" as the hip people say.

Then draw a line, make it clear you are drawing a line. You made a mistake, you apologised and under no circumstances will you be drawn back into the "but you promised" argument. If she really wants to go back she will have to find new, plausible arguments. You can then counter each argument rationally (hopefully).

Also, put moving back out of YOUR head and vocabulary. If she thinks its under discussion or consideration at any level, it leaves a chink in your armour!

Say strong
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Might be difficult to tell her she has to stick to her promises in the future.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:48 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over to the Sunshine Coast 8 months ago.

Before leaving the UK, we promised our daughter (13 years old) that we would go back if she didn't it after 6 months in Oz.
We thought She had settled down to life in Oz ok after a few teething problems such as starting a new school. She has made a best friend and is well thought of at school by her teachers.

But over the last couple of weeks she has made it quite clear that she hates it in Oz and that we (me in particular - Mum) are responsible for her unhappiness. No matter what we do for her, or how we handle it, it just isn't making the slightest bit of difference.
She doesn't want to join any clubs and even has to be forced to invite her friend round. I have even offered to look round some schools but she says she doesn't want to change school.

Me, Husband and son (11 years) are quite happy to stay here for the foreseeable future.

I know it has been hard for her but I am now at my wits end with it all and I'm sicking of looking at her miserable face lol!

should we all go back to UK for her or keep her here in oz, miserable.

Any ideas on solutions for this? is this just normal teenager behavior?
It could be normal teenage behaviour, but don't wait for her to grow out of it. She could be having problems adjusting and is taking it out on Australia, or you for bringing her here. When she's in one of her more rational moods take her out someone she enjoys, wait until she relaxes a bit and find out what's bothering her, it's important that she feels you're listening to her and taking her seriously. Chats in the car are good for this.

Don't try to come up with any solutions then and there but think about what she's telling you. Perhaps let her know that it's been hard for you too and tell her you admire her for doing so well, she may be feeling that she's the only one feeling like she does.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies.
They have made me feel a hundred times better and also made me get a grip!!
I know that I shouldn't have made her that promise but I did so I will have to sort it out. I think drawing a line is a good option.

I have come to think that she has got her whole life in front of her and she can do whatever she likes when she is an adult. For me, it was a now or never move to Oz as I'm knocking on a bit lol.!
I also think that we could all go back to the UK and then she could decide to go and live abroad somewhere.

So I'm going to be strong, sort it all out with her and stop worrying so much.

Cheers

Jo
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I know that I shouldn't have made her that promise but I did so I will have to sort it out. I think drawing a line is a good option.

I have come to think that she has got her whole life in front of her and she can do whatever she likes when she is an adult. For me, it was a now or never move to Oz as I'm knocking on a bit lol.!
I also think that we could all go back to the UK and then she could decide to go and live abroad somewhere.

Cheers

Jo

Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck- stay strong.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:35 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Jo
Sounds like a plan, talk it out with her and give her room to come to terms with it all.

I tell you, you can tear yourself inside out trying to work things out for her and before you know it she'll have moved on to the next big thing in her life and you'll be wondering what the fuss was all about .

Coming up next - Boyfriends!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Jo
Sounds like you have your head screwed on.If its any consolation many of those of us with teenagers have our fair share of dramas.I have a 15 year old daughter and I have had an ongoing battle with her for a few years now.Constantly at each other.It recently came to blows and I had to have a serious think.While its not perfect it is a million times better now.She is a lot happier and we have a much peaceful household now.Touchwood.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:35 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Sounds like you have your head screwed on.If its any consolation many of those of us with teenagers have our fair share of dramas.I have a 15 year old daughter and I have had an ongoing battle with her for a few years now.Constantly at each other.It recently came to blows and I had to have a serious think.While its not perfect it is a million times better now.She is a lot happier and we have a much peaceful household now.Touchwood.
"came to blows"???? Do you mean actual physical violence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.