Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dilema - Advice needed

Dilema - Advice needed

Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough
Default Dilema - Advice needed

Hi
We sent the visa application of last month, have applied for our police checks and booked the medicals for middle of July. All being well we are hoping to move to Melbourne early next year.

My dilema is when to tell my boss - what has everyone else done?

Has anyone been honest and told them this far in advance or waited until the last minute?

OH has already told his boss cause he is on a 3 month notice period - she seems to have taken it really well!

Thanks
Amanda
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dilema - Advice needed

Originally Posted by ozdreamer
Hi
We sent the visa application of last month, have applied for our police checks and booked the medicals for middle of July. All being well we are hoping to move to Melbourne early next year.

Has anyone been honest and told them this far in advance or waited until the last minute?

OH has already told his boss cause he is on a 3 month notice period - she seems to have taken it really well!

Thanks
Amanda
I took the plunge and told my boss as soon as I had signed up with an agency. I thought it was best to be upfront and open with him and he has been suportive and is willing to help anyway he can.
This was the right way for myself but other people I know have not gone down that route, and i suspect they will have more problems when it comes time to get your cv and job description and reference signed off by their boss for the TRA skills assesment.
Do whatever feels right for you, its hard enough making the decision to emigrate in the first place without worrying about extra stuff at home.
Hope it all goes well for you both
Johnnyyt
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Amanda
I told mine at the outset, as I needed to put references from him in our application. Plus, I wanted to forewarn him in case DIMIA contacted him to check up on my work experience.

However, I told him that it takes 2 years to get the visa, then it's valid for 5 years. I told him we had no intention of moving to Oz anytime in the next 5 years and we were only applying now as I was about to turn 30 and we would never be able to get a visa after that.

He swallowed it.

I told him last month that we are moving to Melbourne in September - he was OK about it and wished us luck.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:38 am
nearly there

barry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nice

Hi

Thanks
Amanda
My Advice would be don't tell the boss until you have to. My partner told hers even though she has not even handed in her notice and the fact that we won't be going until early next year and she was completly over looked for a promotion that would have been her without doubt. I myself am a great believe in being honest and up front but this is one occasion where i would beg to differ. It has a financial impact and the promotion would obviously looked better on her c.v. DON'T DO IT
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:45 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Amanda
I am giving a month's notice Nov 1st to finish early December and then off in Jan. Premature honesty might mean being replaced earlier than I want to be-this way I work almost til we go but still have a month off just before to get last bits organised plus I have fulfilled average notice criteria.

I have however (in a job hating moment) already mocked up my notice letter which cheered me up& made it all feel so real!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm no further forward, think I might need a bit more time to think about this.

The company I work for is owned by a larger organisation and they have a branch based in Melbourne so in the long run it may be worth my while being upfront with them and asking if they can give me an introduction into this company.

Ta
Amanda