Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Brisbane with a 1 year old on Emirates...

Flying to Brisbane with a 1 year old on Emirates...

Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:47 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road
Default Flying to Brisbane with a 1 year old on Emirates...

I've just read on Emirates' website that the bassinets are about 74cm in length and take a maximum of 11kgs.

My daughter is over 12 kgs and nearly 90cm in height. (She has always been a big baby).

Does anyone have any experience of this? Will she fit in the bassinet? Should I book a seperate seat for her?

Plus, I'm flying on my own - any tips!

Thanks,

Jules
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flying to Brisbane with a 1 year old on Emirates...

I travlled on EMirates in August with my then 19mth old who only weighed 10kg, he was light enough for the bassinet but just too big to really lie in it, he just filled up the entire space and hes not really a very big kid so it sounds like it would be a waste of time for you. It was good to dump stuff in or sit him in temporarily but he just wanted to stand up or climb out of it so couldnt leave him in there, he ended up sleeping across us which isnt very comfortable in the bassinet seating as the armrests dont go up. We travelled on Qantas when he was 1 and even then he was too big for the bassinet and climbed out of it when we were asleep and fell on the floor!!!
Personally I would opt for if you can afford it a seat for him or at the very least book an aisle and middle seat across the 4 seats in the middle so that you can get in and out easily as no doubt he wont want to sit still and its easier than having to climb over other passengers if you are in the middle row
I am travelling on Emirates on my own with a 2.5yr old and a 6mth old baby in 2wks...agggghhhhhhh
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Julez82
I've just read on Emirates' website that the bassinets are about 74cm in length and take a maximum of 11kgs.

My daughter is over 12 kgs and nearly 90cm in height. (She has always been a big baby).

Does anyone have any experience of this? Will she fit in the bassinet? Should I book a seperate seat for her?

Plus, I'm flying on my own - any tips!

Thanks,

Jules
We travelled with our first child at 10 months and bought a seat and used our car seats.

Two months ago we travelled with both kiddies. 2yrs 10mnths and 16 months. We again bought seats and used our car seats. Britax Freeways fit the airline seats but they have to be the right size and can be used with a lap belt. We used www.toteatot.com to get around the airports.

We just figure that they would sleep at some point in their car seats. We all basically crashed out on the second leg (dubai - perth).

Not sure this helps but just the way we did it. sky cots are good if your on a budget but not that practical for size and also you have to wake a sleeping baby if you get turbulence.

If we go back for a trip next year I will not use the car seat for my daugther who will then be 3.5. I might consider it for my son who will be 2 and a bit. They are a bit of a pain to travel with but the kids to rest better and you have always got something to contain them in.

J

Last edited by PoppetUK; Jun 7th 2007 at 6:13 am. Reason: Can't type!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:49 am
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Thanks for your replies - it's been a huge help! I'm really glad I asked as it would've been a nightmare otherwise.

I will have to opt for getting the seat for her now, expensive but worth it in the end!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your replies - it's been a huge help! I'm really glad I asked as it would've been a nightmare otherwise.

I will have to opt for getting the seat for her now, expensive but worth it in the end!
Even if you don't get a car seat seat she will be able to lay across you. Tied babies have to fall asleep at some point in 24 hours so you can try and get some shut eye when she does.

J

Best of luck and do remember its only 24 hours etc.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:50 am
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Even if you don't get a car seat seat she will be able to lay across you. Tied babies have to fall asleep at some point in 24 hours so you can try and get some shut eye when she does.

J

Best of luck and do remember its only 24 hours etc.
Thanks J - if I cant book an additional seat for her that may be my only option.

I meant to ask - is the Britax Freeway suitable for use in Oz? I know there is quite a bit of difference between the UK and OZ car seat laws.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks J - if I cant book an additional seat for her that may be my only option.

I meant to ask - is the Britax Freeway suitable for use in Oz? I know there is quite a bit of difference between the UK and OZ car seat laws.
We used both of ours with our hire car until we got a new car as they don't pass Oz standards. To be honest the car seats in my opinion suck here (just my opinion). All new cars in the UK have isofix. It takes me a while to get the seats in and out here and I am never convinced that they are fitting well. The top tether thing is good though. My Britax Reinaissance in the UK had a great pressure lever and I think the Maxi cosi had that too. Mine also had good side impact and would have lasted until around 4.

I know in the UK there was a big drive to make sure seats are always fitted correctly and when scoring the seat for safety the ease of fitting it was factored in so in my opinion the seats aren't as safe for this reason.

Note my opinion. Perhaps it was the shop that I went to.

J
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:38 am
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Ah what a shame. I've got a really lovely car seat here (Nania) which my daughter loves but it's not compliant with the safety laws over there.

As far as booking an extra seat goes - no extra seats available on the Dubai to Brisbane leg and the London to Dubai leg will cost an extra £359!!! So I think that's that option out the window!