Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

digital top box question...

digital top box question...

Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:24 pm
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold
Question digital top box question...

hi another one here who can not take anymore aussie tv looking at foxtel but what channals does a digital top box have

I don't really want to go into a contract with anyone so just looking at ways i don't have too cheers
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all
Default Re: digital top box question...

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
hi another one here who can not take anymore aussie tv looking at foxtel but what channals does a digital top box have

I don't really want to go into a contract with anyone so just looking at ways i don't have too cheers

Hi just wondered what digital top box was, does it need a dish or wires through walls, etc.???? (I'm not very technical!)
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hey
Digital telly hasn't really taken off here. You get ABC2 and SBS news channel (which is all foreign news).
J.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen72
Hi just wondered what digital top box was, does it need a dish or wires through walls, etc.???? (I'm not very technical!)
Instead of receiving your telly channels the old analogue way, you connect your outside aerial to a digital receiver. Means better reception usually, and a couple of extra channels.
J.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:32 pm
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

thanks so it does not sound that good hoping it would have more channals
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

thanks so it does not sound that good hoping it would have more channals
For those with little round kids it means you can get ABC kids for 12 hours!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:15 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CHnJ
For those with little round kids it means you can get ABC kids for 12 hours!
DTV also allows you to get a PVR so you can record what you actually want to watch. With so little choice its the only way!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:22 pm
sullysdownunder

ok its sounding a little better what about uktv or it that pushing it

We have not check out to see if our tv from th uk works yet still using the rented one but if the sounds does not work i have been told that the top box will sort it ?????? sorry to ask i have no idea
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:25 pm
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

We have not check out to see if our tv from th uk works yet still using the rented one but if the sounds does not work i have been told that the top box will sort it ?????? sorry to ask i have no idea

I was told at the weekend that there will not be many more Chanel's on set to boxes as the government see that more Chanel's should be through pay for TV!

Derek
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:09 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark213
DTV also allows you to get a PVR so you can record what you actually want to watch. With so little choice its the only way!
You also get to fast forward the ads. I refuse to watch films on commercial channels here unless I've recorded it. The ad breaks come thick and fast and ruin most films.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Our digibox only gives us the same channels as normal but lots of different versions of them !! Wonderful
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If memory serves, there lots of good music on ABC2.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:37 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You get the same + ABC2.

But the picture is better and it's in widescreen.

The Government has stopped the commercial station broadcasting more then one channel because they said it would dilute the content, but i think this is about to change.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

To answer your question, your UK TV will receive one or two of the channels but others will not be available in any decent quality. However, you can use your UK TV as long as you use a local tuner - by this I mean a set top box or a Foxtel box - another tuner that basically will plug into your SCART sockets (as UK TV's use these a lot more than Australian ones) or your standard AV sockets and thus bypass the tuner issues. As long as you do this it will work fine as it's still PAL based.

Hope this makes sense and answers the question...

Andy
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by welshpom
You also get to fast forward the ads. I refuse to watch films on commercial channels here unless I've recorded it. The ad breaks come thick and fast and ruin most films.
Then who's going to pay for new programming?